My 74 Dart Swinger

-
Well lady's n gents I got my Summit order in today, the engine is finished!!!

Heres a few pics!

motor6.jpg

motor2-1.jpg

motor5.jpg

Shawn.

What all have you done with you 273? was it the 273 with the steel crank?? I looked and looked for a 273 steel crank for my 318 but had no luck.

A lot of guys would prolly think I'm crazy for spending $2600 on a friggin 318 but hell its all I had and the 2600 added up through time, sure if i had 2600 I'd just buy a complete 340.

Shawn

I honestly dont know but it looks to have a valve job a .060 over bore high compression pistons Solid lifter cam etc....

Bet she scoots around good eh? hopefully this 318 does some justice I'm hoping for right around 300 horse but am also thinking my heads-(stock rebuilt 318 2BBl heads) are going to screw me on that one!.

Shawn.

I honestly dont know but it looks to have a valve job a .060 over bore high compression pistons Solid lifter cam etc....

Well,

looks like I'll be dropping the engine in tomorrow, it keeps getting pushed back but tomorrow's the day I know it!!.

Shawn.

And She's in!!!!!!!!! Now I just need to figure out how the hell I'm gonna ge thte headers in and I should be golden!!!

P1010031.jpg

P1010032.jpg

Sounds awesome! 318s ROCK!

Very nice car you have, I wish I had the money to drop on my 318 buld right now...

Heres a few shots of the car from tonight. I just finished pluging the smog ports in my heads, and putting studs with thread sealer in the first and last header bolt holes. The headers no longer leak yet my exhaust has a serious amount of moisture in it, any one have any idea's?

Heres a few pics of the car as it sits-(dont mind th floor its just dry sweep, had a few leaks here n there!) a few of the exhaust also.

P1010061.jpg

P1010057-1.jpg

P1010058-1.jpg

P1010059.jpg

I know I need to straighten out that muffler, but the exhaust fit in so awesome it took no time at all to put the kit in.

P1010065.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010056-1.jpg

Shawn.

Alright Shawn!

Sounds good!

Keep the progress coming!

Man Shawn, that thing sounds awesome!
I love it!
I wish my 74 318 sounded that nice!

Wow Thanks fellas!!!.

I'll get a better shot of the exhaust with my Sony Handicam instead of my Nikon digital camera you should be able to hear it a lot better, plus that video was from breaking in my cam, The exhaust leaked bad and it wasn't timed correctly, wasn't far off but it did make a difference.

I have 1 bolt to tighten on each 3 bolt flange, I'm gonna get those taken care of then I should have no leaks at all. What I did to plug my smog ports actually worked out great!!! I just drove bolts into em till they tightened then cleaned the surface very well and put quick steel all over, let it sit for a few days and cure up real hard. When I went to shape the quick steel a bit it was very very hard and a file nor rasp wouldn't get it, I ended up cutting it with a razor blade which was still extremely tough especially with the headers right there in the way and it being adhered so well to the heads. hopefully it holds fine, says quick steel withholds heat up to 600 degree's so I think I should be in the clear!!!.

More updates and a better video coming soon.

Shawn.

Nice work Shawn. Keep it up and you will be able to drive her on out to the Spring Fling this year. Motor sounds realy nice too.

now all thats left to do is install the kick down/throttle linkage adapter I got from Holley and it should be good to go. I REALLY need to work on the steering, it feels like **** turns free for a bit then gets hard then free then hard, I need to replace all my steering components and ball joints. I'd love to get my hands on a rebuilt gear box and power steering pump, that along with an all new front end I figure that car should drive like our 07 sebring!!

Shawn.

That 318 sounds really nice! What model of muffler are you running?

Well fellas heres the final video, after adjusting the timing with a timing light and getting the tranny all adjust I think she's on the ground for good... well at least for now still ahve a few things to do when I can afford to, like new rims/tires a floor shifter etc etc, but heres a vid of it going to about 3K rpm.

Enjoy!

Little update!

Today I purchased my Wheels, tires and shocks. I bought American Racing Outlaw I the rears are 15X8 with a 3.75 back space and the fronts are 15X7 with the same backspace of 3.75. The tires I bought are 255/60R15's in back and 205/60R15 in back, the rear end will be lifted above the rear tires with air shocks-(i know not the best idea)- I am planning on buying SS shocks when I can afford to but for now its gonna be stiff stiff air shocks!!

Heres a few stock pics.

dartcenterlines.jpg

Darttires.jpg

More pics to come after I get the tires on and it all set up maybe a video of a take off or something!-(no burn outs until 600 miles!)

Shawn.

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Rear tires arent nearly as wide as I thought yet they should grow considerably when I air em up.

Shawn.

I just put 245/60-15's on the rear of my '73 swinger on MoPar spec rally's (4 1/4" BS) with no issues. I suspect you may have a little rubbing on the wheel well, but you might be OK with just a little lip roll or trim.

Be sure to post pics of them on the car!
:worthles:

:-D

With the wheels I bought I will have to lift the rear over the tire which is ok I planed on doing so any how.

Shawn.

I just put 245/60-15's on the rear of my '73 swinger on MoPar spec rally's (4 1/4" BS) with no issues. I suspect you may have a little rubbing on the wheel well, but you might be OK with just a little lip roll or trim.

Be sure to post pics of them on the car!
:worthles:

:-D

Brought a pretty decent haul today on top of getting doors from Robert-(cracked back) he's an awesome guy just gave em to me for the price of gas!!!, I then today went down to burbank and bought a passenger fender, grill, all the grill trim with the aluminum light covers, the nose piece and a rear drivers quarter extension.

I pulled my trashed fender and put on my new one, got it all sanded down primered and painted, this is just a TEMPORARY color match so I'm not driving around a white car with a brown fender and nose piece and a red door. tomorrow comes the passenger door and the nose piece then gonna stick her back together.

Heres a few pics, the pic with my new rims n tires was with out my air shocks so I was using my bumper jack to lift the one side so the front is sitting hight I'll get some pics tomorrow with the air shocks on it.

P1010018.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010021-1.jpg

P1010024-2.jpg

P1010023-1.jpg

Well here it is fella's in it's final state for now. it will get paint in a few years I'm sure, but the next things I'm gonna hope for are a TF-727 and a 8.75 rear with a 3.55 sure grip 3'rd member!.

BEFORE
Img00177.jpg

Img00178.jpg

AFTER
P1010052-1.jpg

P1010048-1.jpg

P1010051-1.jpg

P1010056-2.jpg

I'll have a before and after of the engine here in a few days when im not so busy at work!.

Shawn.

-
Back