my advance auto rant kinda funny

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
well i called the store tonight after i asked about the summit codes..anyway guy answer the phone ask how he could help me...i tell him i have my part # and need to know if he has the part or can get the part...he then tells me with the part # thats only going to tell me if it in stock or i can get it..i need to know the make and modal of the car...now lets see, if you have it in stock or can order it thats about all i need to know i'll be right on down...but he just keep telling me i got to have a make and modal ...damn computer messed up the good parts finder guys....i mean if you have it or can order it why would you need the make and modal?????am i the 1 that is missing something here??????:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

I find it's easier to shop on line and pick up on store than deal south the bozos that work in most auto chain stores.

Part # and availability,even a non -counterperson shouldn't have a problem looking that up for you.After all, you did most of the work and it would only take a few seconds to give you an answer.

I have had that problem at Autozone before as well. I think their computers are set up to only search a certain way, and that is by vehicle. It is probably their way of reducing the amount of mess ups? Unfortunately, for people like us that have multiple years of parts on our cars, it creates a problem.

hmmmm. ive always shopped "auto zone, o reilly" with part numbers ,so that i know im getting the right part.maybe its an advance auto thing. the people i deal with have never asked me what make or model. maybe it was his second day on the job lol. its pretty rare i actually have to use those places. mainly just starters and such...

When I got parts last for my 400 they kept on with the what car is it from so I can find the part. After a few minutes I told him ok ******** its a 440 in a 1941 Chrysler Royal coupe. He then responds sir I dont show a 440 in the 1941 model Chrysler. He eventually listened to me and got me the part I was asking for.

I must admit I just HATE the present day situation with parts. I SOLD parts for nearly 15 years. Back then, "we" kept OLD CATALOGS, hell we had catalogs going back to the 30's in some cases. We had the "master" Raybestos and Wagner brake catalogs, I could actually look up a master cylinder by the master cylinder and order INDIVIDUAL parts and pieces, brake rubbers, etc.

Hell we spent about as much time in the interchanges, the numerical and pictorial and size listings as we did application by model/ year.

For our outfit, in this area, with loggers and other "backyard" mechanics, it was routine!!!! to find parts for a chivvy in a Landcruiser, a Ferd in a Jeep, or whatever it might be in some old log jammer or other piece of gear. I routinely carried a set of pocket calipers and a small calculator to convert bearing dimensions from inch to metric.

Some time ago I went into the local NAPA to look for some brass fittings. At that time they had a brass cabinet about 2' square, and it was about half MT. I told the parts guy he should take this cabinet, toss in in the garbage and start from scratch. He was too stupid to realize "he didn't have anything."

Recently I tried to get a set of brushes and brush holders for an isolated field Mopar alternator. I ordered three sets from NAPA, and pirated two of them to make one, to make one good set. They were either wrong or missing parts.

I know how you feel i call the auto glass installer and ordered a new windshield for my duster i ask him how much and how soon he can do it ,he say 2 days if no rain .it just so happens i called to verify that that would be Monday today .he says oh did you want me to ordered that? Well as it turns out i needed new trim clips The guy that shows up to install it call the office and asked if they had or could get clips?He was told i should order them.I was pissed we in less than 2 seconds i was on the phone and having him order them he say he was not sure if i wanted them?Am i missing something I know i speak English and it did sound like he was speaking the same language .:finga:

I too used to be a parts hand. The guy with a caliper in his pocket and a stack of parts books available to find most any part that existed. Most of the common part numbers and applications were stored in the computer that resided just above my shoulders.

So, I kind of get a kick out of these current generation morons. If you want to throw 'em a real loop walk in and request a voltage regulator for an old Minneapolis Moline or a Cockshutt with a generator. Watch the look on their face... entertainment in itself!

I do parts for a living.Worked for all the chains.If you find a knowledgable counter guy,stay in touch.Few and far between,unless you know where to look.I occasionally call the supplier tech lines,same problem,no one knows diddley squat.

I have had that problem at Autozone before as well. I think their computers are set up to only search a certain way, and that is by vehicle. It is probably their way of reducing the amount of mess ups? Unfortunately, for people like us that have multiple years of parts on our cars, it creates a problem.

No one at Autozone where I live speaks English. I've given up patronizing this store except for stuff I can find on a shelf.

before the closed the bumper to bumper near me i went in and needed a couple of 2 in muffler clamps the guy ask me the only way to know if he had them was by make model year,i walk around the store until i found them on the shelf.i used to manage this store when it was a champion auto than the owner sold out and i lost my job there.it is now no longer there.

download.jpg

I buy online and pick up in store. Here are some good codes. Not available to use instore.

My girlfriend works at our local Advance Auto as the manager on the commercial side of things (dealing with local shops). She is very knowledgable about most things automotive and does a great job, however the stories about some of her moron co-workers are classic. Her store currently has 3 counter people with zero years auto experience. One of which was under the assumption that one size oil filter fits all cars. For what its worth though my girlfriend has stated several times that the computers are set up to find parts by year, make and model and that its very difficult, sometimes impossible, to find things any other way. Hell the store doesnt even have "parts books".

When I got parts last for my 400 they kept on with the what car is it from so I can find the part. After a few minutes I told him ok ******** its a 440 in a 1941 Chrysler Royal coupe. He then responds sir I dont show a 440 in the 1941 model Chrysler. He eventually listened to me and got me the part I was asking for.

And exactly what good did that do? Do you think that parts people just have every part number memorized for every year make and model? Like ok you need a distributor? Let me go back to the distributor isle and find the one with your name on it right? I also highly doubt he even COULD look for a 41, most of the computer systems only go back to 62. All you have to do is provide the year of the engine and what model it would have come in right?

-
Back