My attempt at speedmaster heads and moving the pushrod.

-

turboking15

Reaction score
After finding out my old iron heads couldn't be saved I figured it was time to dig out the SM castings I bought a few years ago. And of course I can never just take the easy route. ( whats the fun in that. Lol)

So after studying all of Pbr's porting threads and then some, I decided it was time to get grinding.

Here's where I'm at thus far, please give any and all tips, pointers, advice you can.

20230308_152544.jpg

20230308_152550.jpg

20230308_173113.jpg

20230308_170134.jpg

20230308_170146.jpg

20230308_170155.jpg

20230308_170232.jpg

20230308_170238.jpg

20230308_170322.jpg

I have to be lead by the hand. Are you machining bar stock and pressing it into the pushrod holes? Then reboring the pushrod holes?

I have to be lead by the hand. Are you machining bar stock and pressing it into the pushrod holes? Then reboring the pushrod holes?
Yes, I bought 15mm aluminum round stock (.600" dia), drilled the pushrod holes out with a 17/32 drill bit, then turned the bar stock down to roughly .532 dia, then pressed them into the holes.

Yes, I bought 15mm aluminum round stock (.600" dia), drilled the pushrod holes out with a 17/32 drill bit, then turned the bar stock down to roughly .532 dia, then pressed them into the holes.
I just love this kind of stuff!

Ok, cool Thanks. I thought that's what was up. If you got the stuff and the know how, knock it out! Are you going to run an offset rocker?

When you are done, will this work with such-n-such intake manifold, or is this one gonna need a custom sheet metal job??

When you are done, will this work with such-n-such intake manifold, or is this one gonna need a custom sheet metal job??
Itll work with any standard mopar intake manifold. The port opening is matched to a 7276 edelbrock gasket. I have a ported M1 intake that will be going on this combo.

Itll work with any standard mopar intake manifold. The port opening is matched to a 7276 edelbrock gasket. I have a ported M1 intake that will be going on this combo.

That’s the only thing I don’t like so far. Wrong intake for that application

Here's some pics of the intake. I've welded / machined the flange to a true 4150 flange, added a 2" spacer, and port matched the runners. Also radius the top edge from the plenum into the runners.

20230308_211601.jpg

20230308_211607.jpg

20230308_211617.jpg

20230308_211624.jpg

20230308_211639.jpg

20230308_211644.jpg

What dont you like about it? And what would be a better intake to go with in your opinion?

Well I didn’t know that you highly modified it to a square bore which should help. Hopefully you can flow test it as I think a Victor340, Super Victor, or Indy intake would suit your moved pushrod combo better. I’m assuming you are going with a 2.08 valve so flow numbers should be in the 330cfm area.

In other words, all you're doing is effectively losing the pushrod pinch altogether, correct?

Well I didn’t know that you highly modified it to a square bore which should help. Hopefully you can flow test it as I think a Victor340, Super Victor, or Indy intake would suit your moved pushrod combo better. I’m assuming you are going with a 2.08 valve so flow numbers should be in the 330cfm area.

In other words, all you're doing is effectively losing the pushrod pinch altogether, correct?
Yes

Just to clarify, the intake seats that come in the Speedmaster heads have enough thickness to machine for 2.08” intake valve without replacing the seats. And the Edelbrock heads too?
That is the way I have interpreted your posts about this in previous threads.
Thanks in advance.

Just to clarify, the intake seats that come in the Speedmaster heads have enough thickness to machine for 2.08” intake valve without replacing the seats. And the Edelbrock heads too?
That is the way I have interpreted your posts about this in previous threads.
Thanks in advance.

Absolutely both the Speedmaster and Edelbrock heads can go to 2.08 valves. The idiots at TrickFlow really dropped the ball in a nice head. I don’t even think you can go 2.055 without going into the chamber. Very disappointed

Absolutely both the Speedmaster and Edelbrock heads can go to 2.08 valves. The idiots at TrickFlow really dropped the ball in a nice head. I don’t even think you can go 2.055 without going into the chamber. Very disappointed

Mind if I ask how to fix this ?

Mind if I ask how to fix this ?

I’m hoping I can locate seats sized like Edelbrock heads so I can knock out the TrickFlow seats and fix their heads. Honestly I would have never bought them if I knew I had to do this much work to get them where I can get a Speedmaster head.

I’m hoping I can locate seats sized like Edelbrock heads so I can knock out the TrickFlow seats and fix their heads. Honestly I would have never bought them if I knew I had to do this much work to get them where I can get a Speedmaster head.

Don’t you have a lathe John? I thought you did. If you do you can buy some nice ductile iron stock and make your own seats.

I made dozens and dozens of them when I needed an oversize I couldn’t buy.

-
Back