My Blueprint crate engine story - May 2018

-

Dusterdenovo

Contentedly Old School
Reaction score
There has been much discussion over Blueprint crate engines here on FABO. Last summer I said that I would report back on my actual Blueprint experience once the engine was up and running, good or bad.

The engine is running, and the verdict is GOOD. REAL GOOD.

I now have about 300 miles on my Blueprint “Chrysler 408 Dressed Engine BPC4083CTC”, and couldn’t be happier with the Engine or the superior customer service of Blueprint.

100_6961.JPG

Engine arrived all securely packaged, with lots of helpful documentation and instructions to get it fired up and “unleash hell”. From what I have seen on the inside and outside of the engine, all indications are of a quality build with quality parts. The start up / break in process has been pretty straightforward, given that the Carb was properly set up, and everything was checked out during and after the Blueprint Dyno pulls.

100_6968.JPG

Considering that I haven’t really had my hands inside an engine in 35 years, the Blueprint route just made sense for me. A motor that puts out 458hp / 503tq (as per the included dyno sheet) that is backed with a 30 month 50,000 mile warranty is more than good enough for me. I read the warranty language carefully before pulling the trigger, and I do consider it to be worth more than the paper it’s printed on. I don’t really need to know all the science that went into this engine, (although I’ve learned quite a bit along the way) and I am more than confident that it will meet my needs.

100_7392.JPG

I bought this engine through Pace Performance when @Johnny Mac was working for them. He is a totally stand-up guy who has walked me through numerous issues (mostly of my own making) and shared much wisdom with me post-sale. The fact that he moved over to Blueprint recently tells me that quality attracts quality. My dealings with Blueprint indicate to me that they are the real deal. A quality outfit that sells quality products for a decent price. They even painted the block orange at my request, since I couldn’t embrace the idea of a black block going in my Duster.

100_7489.JPG

For my fellow Canadians, this engine made it to my driveway for pennies over $10,000 – and that’s with a brutal exchange rate. I found that even if I had found a local builder who gave a **** about building a SB Mopar, it wouldn’t have happened for anywhere near that amount. So much for spending locally!

20180506_142112.jpg

Midway through the 500 mile break in period, this engine pulls like hell even though I have so far avoided the dreaded “hard acceleration for prolonged periods” for the first 500 miles. When I get to the point of really mashing the gas pedal…..well, I’m thinking of keeping a few large Depends in the trunk for my passengers’ convenience.

I also haven’t had a speeding ticket in about 35 years either. Of course I’ll do my best, however……..

Add me to the list of happy Blueprint customers!

20180506_002607.jpg

20180507_185445.jpg

Blueprint taking their spot on the "trunk lid of fame"

Oh yeah, massive thanks to FABO, without whom (which?) NONE of this would have materialized. :thumbsup:

Interesting rocker arm choice for an aluminum headed engine. Do you know what the cam specs are? It does look nice.

Cam specs: .545 intake / .545 exhaust ; 241 Intake / 247 Exhaust duration @ .050 (?). LSA 110 degrees

Cam specs: .545 intake / .545 exhaust ; 241 Intake / 247 Exhaust duration @ .050 (?). LSA 110 degrees

That's a pretty big cam for stock rockers. They'll work, but I bet you could gain some by switching to some better ones. I would also be worried about the spring pressure causing the pushrods to break holes in the rockers. That's a popular failure as spring pressure rises.

Even still though, considering all the USA to Canada horse crap of money raping, I think you got a good deal.

Nice to know. Your right about the machine shops , my boss just had his small block ford redone after leaned it out on several nitrous pulls 12,000 $$

What carb came on that engine I see it’s 750 cfm. (Brand )?

Looks like you can’t go wrong with the price carb ,600$ cyl.heads 2000$ Intake 400$ ignition 200$ I think I’ve talked myself into one

U can use magnum lifters and oil the rocker cups through the pushrods if that's a problem
We used to race with stock rockers and you can make them work
if you see that the rocker is moving more down than up add some .050-.060 lash caps
(it's starting from the same place and all the additional lift- about 100 thou is down how do the rockers look on the valve stem tips at full lift)
on the pushrod end the pushrod should be working in the middle of the cup- both ways not from middle to outer edge

Johnny from pace performance works for blueprint now. He is a stand up guy. I think he goes by johnny blueprint now

Very nice, glad it is working out, you answered some questions i had just by your pics. Was wondering what heads and rockers come on it.

Johnny from pace performance works for blueprint now. He is a stand up guy. I think he goes by johnny blueprint now
Hey Fellas! thanks for the kind words above! big thanks to @Dusterdenovo with that good looking Duster!
Yup, as many know, I'm happily settled at BluePrint Engines. As Larry pointed out, we're a 30 month, 50K mile warranty on any of our engines. That should put some ease in anyones mind. This engine configuration has been around for us for quite some time, and its tried and true. PM box is always open. Heck, some of you have my cell.lol

Hey Fellas! thanks for the kind words above! big thanks to @Dusterdenovo with that good looking Duster!
Yup, as many know, I'm happily settled at BluePrint Engines. As Larry pointed out, we're a 30 month, 50K mile warranty on any of our engines. That should put some ease in anyones mind. This engine configuration has been around for us for quite some time, and its tried and true. PM box is always open. Heck, some of you have my cell.lol

Johnny Mac it is. My mistake. Lol

I’m very happy with my 408 dressed engine. I bought it in 2009ish which I know is a LONG time ago, but I’m a little surprised in the changes that I see. I got comp magnum rockers, holley mechanical fuel pump, proffessional products dampener barry grant 825 mighty demon carb, msd ready to run billet distributor and a kevco oil pan. Some of these things may have been over kill for the intended performance level. Just curious

I’m very happy with my 408 dressed engine. I bought it in 2009ish which I know is a LONG time ago, but I’m a little surprised in the changes that I see. I got comp magnum rockers, holley mechanical fuel pump, proffessional products dampener barry grant 825 mighty demon carb, msd ready to run billet distributor and a kevco oil pan. Some of these things may have been over kill for the intended performance level. Just curious
I would say in 9 years time the build list has changed a little. For example demon carbs went under, and has only semi recently been bought by holley. We now have our own ignition line, so MSD is reserved for the "pro series" engines. little things like that. If we can pass savings into a customer by using our own ignition components, on a street dress engine, we usually take those steps after lots of longevity testing.

So 9 years and running strong!!?? thats awesome!!
Please add some pictures to the BluePrint hall of Fame thread!!!!
BluePrint Engines Hall of fame!

Last edited:
always like to see vendors online, this is impressive considering alot of flack they may take.
Good to see you always there to add support and answers. keep it up fellas

always like to see vendors online, this is impressive considering alot of flack they may take.
Good to see you always there to add support and answers. keep it up fellas
I always wanted to buy an engine , but never had the dinero all at once !

Has anyone had experience with crate motors from Tristar out of Wisconsin? I'm talking to them about a 350 HP 360 cuin. setup. Seem like pretty smart guys, but I'm not sure about their Mopar experience.

Has anyone had experience with crate motors from Tristar out of Wisconsin? I'm talking to them about a 350 HP 360 cuin. setup. Seem like pretty smart guys, but I'm not sure about their Mopar experience.
Never heard of them, but perhaps contact johnny at blueprint considering this thread is about blueprint crate engines. They have an iron headed sb if you are looking for an economical cruiser.
@Johnny Mac

Chrysler Compatible Crate Engines

Blueprint seems to only offer 408ci engines...
I would offer the following facts to any friend on here, to make sure they got their moneys worth. After a glance at that other company, tri star offers a 2 year parts only warranty on non oem engines. Blueprints is 30 months FULL warranty. The 360 from TS is a little cheaper, but uses a reman rotating assembly and hyper pistons. The BPE has forged pistons, and has new rotating pieces being a stroker. Not much cost difference on their 360 vs bp 408. I would personally start another thread specific to tri star if he is only interested in their reman 360.

-
Back