My buddy is at a crossroad, what do you think ?

-

340john

Reaction score
Last night I was at my buddys house and I saw his GTO sitting in his driveway. He has owned this car just as long as I have owned my Dart, in fact we bought our cars two weeks apart during our senior year in high school...that was 23 years ago. In typical fashion as the years wore on the car was driven less and less, and neglected more and more. He told me he was thinking about selling, but he feels funny about it becuase he had it so long. I asked him if he is keeping it because he still loved the car, or because he loves the memories he has with it...he couldn't answer that. He did say he would like to get something like a Charger or a firebird, so it's not like he lost interest in cars all together.What do you think ? Any of you sell cars after owning them for long periods of time ?

I don't, but that's just me. Usually the car has been in the family or has been passed down for generations. My '78 F250 was bought new off the lot by Grandad, so it's a keeper. The Barracuda was bought by Pop about 15 years ago and given to me, so it's a keeper. I've had the Satellite for over 20 years, again bought by my parents and I bought it from them. Jamison's Duster has been in the family for almost 30 years now, so it's a keeper. Usually, in our family, the cars are kept around because it's gift or because the whole family, at one point or another, has had a stake in it or claim to it. Could I part with my Ramcharger that I've had for over ten years? If push came to shove, maybe, just maybe...
But is he wanting to get rid of the car and move on, is he looking at the process of bringing it back to life and is a little daunted by it?

to me its just a car. if he has no interest in it they let it go. if he still likes the car then fix it and drive it. not really that difficult of a decision in my eyes.

Generally speaking, I usually sell a car to finance another one. I always regret selling it, but I'm usually trying to trade up, which means a little bit nicer car. I love the wheelin' an dealin' as much as I love owning an driving them. Occassionaly I'll "cash in" and start the cycle over again...gotta love it!!

We've restored cars for years, in fact we had a shop called Redline Restorations, so actually doing the work isn't the problem. When we were in the garage last night, I said to him "if you could have any 3 cars, what would they be". Without hesitation, he said '69 Charger, '68 Firebird and ''68 Shelby. I said what about the '68 GTO you have sitting in your driveway, he goes, well...I'm kinda over that one, but I had so long, how to I sell it now ?

As far as keeping cars in the family, if the car was given to him by his dad or another family member, I'm sure he would keep it. However, this car has no ties to his family line...other than sitting at his house for 23 years.

We've restored cars for years, in fact we had a shop called Redline Restorations, so actually doing the work isn't the problem. When we were in the garage last night, I said to him "if you could have any 3 cars, what would they be". Without hesitation, he said '69 Charger, '68 Firebird and ''68 Shelby. I said what about the '68 GTO you have sitting in your driveway, he goes, well...I'm kinda over that one, but I had so long, how to I sell it now ?

As far as keeping cars in the family, if the car was given to him by his dad or another family member, I'm sure he would keep it. However, this car has no ties to his family line...other than sitting at his house for 23 years.

Given your experience then, I'm sure the work would be topnotch, but would his heart be in it? Better to sell to someone who's going to love it and bring it back to life than to just go through the motions...

Yes, my mbbgt. I owned it for 29 years. I was in an accident a couple of years ago..and to make a long story short..I knew i had to sell because I no longer could take car of it. It took a year for me to put it in the paper..sold in two day..I was crushed..my wife bought me another that didn't require my doing the work on it.

I bought a duster for my lids this year. My kids do the work and i provide the guidance and learning.

tell you friend that if he sells, and no matter what it bought to replace it, the pain doesn't go away..you just learn to bury it deeper..

Ian.

-
Back