My cam is dead.... Recommendations?

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
My cam is dead.... Recommendations?

This is what I have now...

Crower Street Roller (Solid) This is the 1989 version, Yes it has been in there that long :) ...

#31406 (lobe center 112, Adv dur 290 294, lift .550 .555, RPM range 3200 to 7200)

The new Crower Street Roller (Solid) with the same part number....

#31406 (lobe center 112, Adv dur 270 280, lift .550 .548, RPM range 2500 to 6500)

Do I just go with the superseded new cam?

I would really like something that is a drop in.... Really... I would like to move back to more of a street car or at least more miles out of the drive train....

Other info....

4 speed
3.91 gears
Balanced
Professionally, fully ported X-Heads...
Victor 340
Holly 800dp
11.7-1 compression

Now the odd....

I took the headers off...

Running the stock 340 manifolds with full TTI 2.5" X-Pipe exhaust and Dynamax welded Ultra Flows...

Sounds like a better street cam. I guess it depends on the rest of your combo, but I would try it if the old style worked good. The lifts are safe, the duration is better suited to drivability, and the rpm range is more streetlike.This cam will work better than the old with manifolds, I think.

Thats what I was thinking.... I put in a call to Crower...

I have 3 shot rollers on the 2 front driver side lifter sets (haven't took out the pass side ones yet), not sure if the cam is bad but my guess is that it is. One roller is gone! The shaft that goes through the roller was riding on the lobe..

You know... I pulled off a 13.2 @ 105-mph with the old cam, exhaust manifolds and E70-14 Redlines. I didn't think that was bad given the tires and exhaust on a car in full street trim.

Back in the day with the same engine, headers, slicks and 3" exhaust (plus some track stuff... electric water pump, and fans, battery in the trunk....) it ran 11.78 @ 118.......

Im just more interested in a nasty sounding, stock looking car, to cruise the "old lady" in then going to the track these days...

And she won't let me sell it...... She says I will just bring something else home if I do.... LOL

Bump for more input...

I have the tubes installed for a solid roller... What are my options if I want to go back to a flat tappet solid or hydraulic.

Why did the original die?

The cam you are looking at is quite a bit smaller on duration. Do you know the duration @ .050 lift of the old cam? Still have the cam card?

The new cam will not lope like the old one is my guess. Will be more drivable on the street as an effect of shorter duration.

Factory exhaust manifolds tend to like cams with wider lsa splits. Like 114+

I haven't looked at the cam yet but it was a failure of the lifters (Spring pressure and RPMs over time I guess).... My best guess is that the cam is also bad.

The cam that is in there now, I know was not real great once I cut off the headers... More street friendly is what I think Im after....

I don't have the old cam card and crower has given the same part number to the new cam... I will need to try to dig up my old catalog.

I should probably just build a new street engine for it... I would really like to run the factory AVS and Intake along with the manifolds... And I don't need the 11.7 compression for that.

Just got off the phone with Crower... $590 for new lifters and $160 to fix the cam using the old specs. This is good news.

Now I think I may just put headers back on..... As much as I want to go stock with the engine... I just hate the power loss... This is why I can never make up my mind...

I would have a cam ground for you that is set to run exhaust manifolds if you want a stock looking motor.

Dwayne Porter of Porter Racing heads has done a bunch of solid rollers for the FAST guys.

I dont think Id run manifolds on it, but the XR286R would be a decnt replacement. You do realize, that roller lifters are supposed to be rebuilt periodically, right ;)?

-
Back