My demon project . How would you build it ?

-

yellow73dart

Reaction score
I just got this car from my dad . Its lived a hard life , but its been in the family since it was new . Now I want to restore it but I'm not sure which way to go with it , so what are your thoughts . How would you build it ?

100_0131.jpg

100_0132.jpg

100_1444.jpg

100_1445.jpg

100_1446.jpg

100_1447.jpg

100_1448.jpg

Yes,I noticed that!Makes it alittle more rare.Colour is TB3,also known as Corporate Blue,Street Basin Blue,Petty Blue.It looks to be solid?

Thanks . yes its very solid . there's not much rust down here . This car also had an undercoat that held up real well . the only real problem is that it was wrecked 20 something years ago and the pass side rear quarter was replaced . They didn't do a very good job because the trunk-quarter gap is way off , and I still don't know why the doors were replaced but I will probobly use a different set . They have a layer of bondo over them that makes me wonder what kind of damage is underneath . I found another demon about an hour from here for $750.00 . that has good doors twin scoops and an 8 3/4 rear . I plan on talking to him asap .

Well yeah,I guess the other parts car will come in handy,it has all the right stuff for you to swap!Your yellow D.Sport looks healthy also!

Thanks again . and yes my yellow dart is . I just posted pics of it a couple of hours ago on the welcome newbe pages . yeh I'm new I'll admit it .

Build it how you want and throw a nice SB in it and go!

It looks like a nice starting point. Skys the limit realy. I have been planing the build of my car for years now looking through mags and other cars at shows. Now if I only had the money I could get on to building it. LOL

Good luck on your build.

i would build it as a pro touring type of car. either stroked small block or stroked big block. sitting low and mean with 17-18" rims set up to hit the corners. keep the a/c and all. would be a cool *** car.

i would build it as a pro touring type of car. either stroked small block or stroked big block. sitting low and mean with 17-18" rims set up to hit the corners. keep the a/c and all. would be a cool *** car.

This gets my vote too. Make it handle the twisties. A stroked small-block can make some serious horsepower. An overdrive 5-speed stick. A/C, a killer stereo/DVD/Nav system. Finally, I'd add a multi-port fuel injection system to make it everyday reliable. (hey, I hate messin' with carbs. Sue me!) This is what I have planned if I ever find that elusive 1970 Challenger 'vert that I want. Maybe I'll drop a HEMI into that one.

Wylde1.:burnout:

The last three have hit it on the head. Check out rsjea's pro touring demon. BADASS!!

+2!

As much as I love drag cars, I really like cars that can do everything well. My dad's always been a straight line focus, without attention to brakes or suspension.

Make a budget first, then make a list of all/any parts you will need. For the first go around, try to build with budget parts.... suspension/ you don't need the ultimate tube suspension right away, some bushing, sway bars, and steering box with go a loooonnnggg way.

Engine/ Most times it's pretty expensive to build a motor from scratch, of course most of use would love a beloved 340, but they're getting hard to come by. Possibly find a 5.9L out of a truck, and convert it to carb? There's lots of cheap good motors on craigslist and ebay, and make sure you do a compression check first on all cylinders if possible. And also try to check the crank thrust if you can with a dial indicator to see if the bearings are still in decent shape.

Paint Body/ This is the part that usually takes the longest. Strip the body down to bare medal by hand, it's alot less work than tearing apart the whole car and having it blasted, which usually ends up with warped panels anyway. A dent puller, hammer and dolly, bondo, and some blocks will make it a "quicker" one month body project if at all possible. Then you could just run it in primer until you have enough money, and a location to do the paint. 90% of a nice paint job is the prep work, the actual painting is simple and can be done in a weekend.

Good luck man, love those cars 8)

The last three have hit it on the head. Check out rsjea's pro touring demon. BADASS!!

I would agree with you on this , but there is no way I can afford to do something like that right now . Maybe later though . TeamDart has a good Idea as far as that go's . I do have a list of parts that I have been gathering since high school , which includes 1-318 (In the car right now) , 4-360's , 1-440 , 1-413 , 2-big block 727's , 3-small block 727's , 2-small block 727's , 3-small block 904's ( one is in the car ) , 1-8 3/4 rear diff ( in a 68 new yorker ) , 2-8 1/4 rear diffs for an A-body w/ large bolt patterns , 1-7 1/4 rear diff w/ small pattern ( in the car ) . I also have 2-disk brake set ups w/ large bolt patterns out of A-bodys ( the demon has small pattern drums ) .
The K-member in the demon is the original s6 part that has had the motor mounts cut off and small block mounts welded on , but it looks horrible . I'm not sure if the welds will hold because they look as though it didn't get good penitration . So I think I'm going to swap in a new K-member . The wiring is also an issue . What wiring harness is good ?

I would say, put whatever small block is closest to running in it, then whatever Tranny seems to be in the best condition and throw that in there too..... of course keep the 8 3/4. Keep one other bare block small block (340 if you have one), sell all the other parts/motors/and trannys.... then while you're cruising the demon now, you can build up a fancy stroker and possibly a 5 speed with the extra coin left over from the parts 8)

I actually think it would be cheaper to go 383 BB than build a stroker

340 10.8 w/ported w2's and a solid roller of 300* duration big tubes 4spd & 4.57's and big drag radials out back, or the same except richmond 5 spd and 3.23 or 3.55 gear.

I'd say it all depends on how you want to drive it. A 1/4 mile at a time? Roundy round? Cruiser? Full on show car?

j

-
Back