My Duster is under the knife....TKX going in

-
I'm sure you are right, however I'm not spending the money as an investment. I'm spending it because I believe that it will make the car so much more fun to drive. I've already sunk over $50k into the car. If I were to sell it, I'm sure I could only recoup a portion of that.
The manual trans DOES make the car more fun to drive. I did the TKO 600 swap in my '70 Charger and even there, I had to cut and build a "doghouse" to make room.
Why didn't you do this job yourself?

The manual trans DOES make the car more fun to drive. I did the TKO 600 swap in my '70 Charger and even there, I had to cut and build a "doghouse" to make room.
Why didn't you do this job yourself?
First, I know my limits as a mechanic. Second, I don't have a lift in my garage. Third, I wanted it done right.

No pictures of the process? Glad to hear it is progressing nicely.

You got some more pictures or are you just gonna blab about it for three pages?

The physical act of installing the transmission is not that hard. There are a bunch of things associated with a swap like this that take time.
You HAVE to measure the bellhousing runout as it relates to crankshaft centerline. Most of the time you'll need to remove the dowels in the block and use offset dowels.
There can be exhaust system rerouting needed. The speedometer is now electronic, requiring some wiring changes. Seats and carpeting come out. Welding of the floor patch. Changing the automatic brake pedal to the clutch and brake pedals. The installation of the hydraulic clutch setup after measuring to see if the travel will be adequate....

The physical act of installing the transmission is not that hard. There are a bunch of things associated with a swap like this that take time.
You HAVE to measure the bellhousing runout as it relates to crankshaft centerline. Most of the time you'll need to remove the dowels in the block and use offset dowels.
There can be exhaust system rerouting needed. The speedometer is now electronic, requiring some wiring changes. Seats and carpeting come out. Welding of the floor patch. Changing the automatic brake pedal to the clutch and brake pedals. The installation of the hydraulic clutch setup after measuring to see if the travel will be adequate....
I know....that's why I'm not doing all the work. I'd rather pay a professional to do the job right. Besides, I'm too old to be crawling around under a car on jack stands, trying to do the work by myself.

You got some more pictures or are you just gonna blab about it for three pages?
I'll blab some more with these photos from last week. Still waiting on new photos to come in.

Old tranny out. I was able to sell it along with the center console.
m6lZzSB.jpg

Before all the cutting began
hucdhYo.jpg

I think I already posted this one
dxrZEEH.jpg

Don't know why they sent me this but oh well
vxNiMzD.jpg

Hello my pretty!
XP2k3zf.jpg

Well hell I guess that's better than nuthin. lol

Well hell I guess that's better than nuthin. lol
I just spoke with the shop and asked them to please send me more pics. The shop owner said that "the guys probably have a 100 photos that they've posted on instagram". I asked him to send them to me as I'm not a IG user. He also said that the transmission should be in and ready to rumble in a day or two.

I just spoke with the shop and asked them to please send me more pics. The shop owner said that "the guys probably have a 100 photos that they've posted on instagram". I asked him to send them to me as I'm not a IG user. He also said that the transmission should be in and ready to rumble in a day or two.

You have a great relationship with this shop. They are knocking the work out. Congrats on having that in your life......

JW

Funny I'm only 30 but I can't bring myself to start an IG account just seems like a waste of time, most of what's on there is thirst bait anyway (profiles of girls in tight workout clothes doing butt exercises lol). Blacefook is more than enough for me screw all the rest.

You have a great relationship with this shop. They are knocking the work out. Congrats on having that in your life......

JW
I'm quite pleased with this particualar shop. Not the cheapest by far, but they do good work. Plus the mechanic who is lead on my car is a Mopar enthusist who owns an A body and. I believe, an E body car.

Badass man. I'm usin this as inspiration for my T5 swap into Vixen.

I'm quite pleased with this particualar shop. Not the cheapest by far, but they do good work. Plus the mechanic who is lead on my car is a Mopar enthusist who owns an A body and. I believe, an E body car.

Speed, quality, and price. You only get 2 of the 3. Sounds like everyone is on board. You just want your car done within a reasonable amount of time and a fair price. It's rare these days....

JW

I'd like to see more tunnel pics if you get lots. I'd like to put that trans in an Early A body if possible. I think the TKX is my best bet. I was waiting for the 855 but gave up on that trans after a friend received one and had huge shifting problems with it.

For any of those interested, my full T56 installation can be found here My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

The T56 does require a little more tunnel and crossmember work, although there is a full crossmember replacement available for it. It’s also a bit more expensive. But there’s also a lot of overlap, you’re cutting the tunnel, crossmember, installing a hydraulic clutch etc with the TKX as well.

Not trying to steal anyone’s thunder, just throwing it out there. I also considered a TKO, 855, etc before deciding on the T56- if I was gonna cut anyway, I might as well cut for a T56 magnum. I have a complete list with links for everything I installed.

And I can’t wait to see the rest of the pics of the TKX install too, it looks like a great install and a T56 isn’t right for everyone!

-
Back