My Duster is under the knife....TKX going in

-

jcolman

Reaction score
The shop that's doing the install sent me a few pics. I'm looking forward to being able to row the gears! I never liked the 727 transmission.
50dc7d31e69b8cd109d94df4c0740badf42c4a1a.jpg
82af524bdd2baab8057d55ec0e4038f38dbc61c9.jpg
53e149b41c0a582565bd3ee43009f6bd6cddc846.jpg
211e7a9f32f17bf409be14cfcb05474f90d34fb3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Interested to see how much crossmember or tunnel work there is, would think it should be pretty minimal.

You’ll love the extra gear too! I love the T56 I put in my Duster, but that’s definitely a lot more fabrication than the TKX should be.

Nice! Interested to see how much crossmember or tunnel work there is, would think it should be pretty minimal.

You’ll love the extra gear too! I love the T56 I put in my Duster, but that’s definitely a lot more fabrication than the TKX should be.
This is the only photo I have of the tunnel work so far.

a2ac8aee48f637760300412977203022fa567cd7.jpg

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will be as small as it could be. Posted this in a different thread, but here are the instructions for the Holley crossmember brace.

https://documents.holley.com/199r12231.pdf

I’d post just figure 4, but it’s a .pdf and I would have to spend time extracting it.

Based on that picture, I bet the needed surgery could be small, but only if you can brace the crossmember under the trans like Holley is. The thing is, pretty sure they move the motor and trans forward so the SRV deal on the back of the 6.4 intake fits without hacking the firewall. But in the stock location I think the trans mount is inline with the crossmember, removing the option to add a bolted brace below the trans the way Holley does.

Which means a crossmember is going to have to be built above the trans much like the T56. I am sure it will be less surgery, but probably not as much as it seems.

FYI I found the shift handle sold by SST work well with the my TKO and a console. The Hurst kit I used had me turn the shifter around so it was more forward. I shaved my console to fit the new tunnel and allow it to sit in the stock location.

Looking at those direction your doing as much work as a TKO install.

this was the handle I used.

Shifter Handle - 1st and 2nd Gen Camaro and Classic Mustang

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will be as small as it could be. Posted this in a different thread, but here are the instructions for the Holley crossmember brace.

I’d post just figure 4, but it’s a .pdf and I would have to spend time extracting it.

Based on that picture, I bet the needed surgery could be small, but only if you can brace the crossmember under the trans like Holley is. The thing is, pretty sure they move the motor and trans forward so the SRV deal on the back of the 6.4 intake fits without hacking the firewall. But in the stock location I think the trans mount is inline with the crossmember, removing the option to add a bolted brace below the trans the way Holley does.

Which means a crossmember is going to have to be built above the trans much like the T56. I am sure it will be less surgery, but probably not as much as it seems.
The kit comes with a crossmember. Still, it's a lot of cutting to be done. The technician told me today that "it pained him" to cut into the tunnel. He's a bit of a Mopar purist. I'm not.

Huh. Yeah I still don't like getting rid of the upper part of the crossmember. Obviously it looks like they did a lot of work to the lower brace to make sure it can support everything it needs to, but for a torsion bar car that crossmember is pretty important.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, I know I looked into a TKO briefly when I was considering the T56 swap. I came to the conclusion that it was going to take enough cutting that I might as well just go a little further and install the T56. Plus the ToddRon crossmember for the T56 keeps the upper hoop.

The kit comes with a crossmember. Still, it's a lot of cutting to be done. The technician told me today that "it pained him" to cut into the tunnel. He's a bit of a Mopar purist. I'm not.

Pained him? Wow. I mean, I'm not for hacking stuff up just to do it. But if someone is really worried about it later they make reproduction crossmembers and floors. Reversing something like that is still less work than the rust repair that a lot of these cars require. I dunno about the specifics of your car, but in my case I wasn't too worried about a '74 /6 Duster.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I worked with a customer a few weeks ago putting a tkx in a 65 GTO... Basically we had to do a little banging in the tunnel and drill two new holes for the crossmember... Completely different installation likely but the end result was a lot better gear split and he was much happier with the freeway RPMs... I was much happier with first gear as the car felt like it had a lot more initial get up and go...

Huh. Yeah I still don't like getting rid of the upper part of the crossmember. Obviously it looks like they did a lot of work to the lower brace to make sure it can support everything it needs to, but for a torsion bar car that crossmember is pretty important.

One thing I don't like about that bolt in brace is (in my mind) it would require de-tensioning the torsion bars before dropping the transmission. I guess someone could ignore it, but I wouldn't.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, I know I looked into a TKO briefly when I was considering the T56 swap. I came to the conclusion that it was going to take enough cutting that I might as well just go a little further and install the T56. Plus the ToddRon crossmember for the T56 keeps the upper hoop.

I still think the TKX will be a smaller cut than a T56 and will make for a really nice setup. Plus the TKX has the option to still keep the mechanical clutch setup if someone wanted to save that potential for later. I was really close to pulling the trigger on one, but will probably go T56 if only for the .5 OD. With 3.55 gears and a 25.6" tire, that would duplicate the ratios my R/T had.

Pained him? Wow. I mean, I'm not for hacking stuff up just to do it. But if someone is really worried about it later they make reproduction crossmembers and floors. Reversing something like that is still less work than the rust repair that a lot of these cars require. I dunno about the specifics of your car, but in my case I wasn't too worried about a '74 /6 Duster.

That's something I completely understand. While it is probably less work than some of the rust repair I have seen, it is still work I don't have to do if I don't cut it. In the end though, replacement parts and the absolute need for more gears has won me over. Even though my car is more desirable than a /6 car, I'm going to cut mine for a T56 (assuming the Lord doesn't come first and I can get the parts).

In the end, if I am worried enough about hurting the value of the car that I am willing to give up some of the enjoyment of driving it, then I should sell it and buy something I don't care if I have to cut up. The whole reason I have the car is to enjoy the drive. If I compromise on the drive, then why have the car?

Subscribed, I have long-term goals to put a TKX in my Duster. Only reason I have to delay is I need to save up the $4k-5k for the kit and I have no idea how long that'll take, at least a year probably.

Subscribed, I have long-term goals to put a TKX in my Duster. Only reason I have to delay is I need to save up the $4k-5k for the kit and I have no idea how long that'll take, at least a year probably.
The kits are running a bit over $6000 complete with pedals, clutch, etc. Silversport transmissions has them and you can look up their pricing.

This is a serious upgrade in the car and with that being said I am not sure how much you are hurting the value of it if you were to sell it today..... You won't recoup the investment for cost of this installation by a long shot however I personally believe it raises the overall price of the car if it ever gets a For Sale sign hung in it.....

JW

This is a serious upgrade in the car and with that being said I am not sure how much you are hurting the value of it if you were to sell it today..... You won't recoup the investment for cost of this installation by a long shot however I personally believe it raises the overall price of the car if it ever gets a For Sale sign hung in it.....

JW
I'm sure you are right, however I'm not spending the money as an investment. I'm spending it because I believe that it will make the car so much more fun to drive. I've already sunk over $50k into the car. If I were to sell it, I'm sure I could only recoup a portion of that.

JW

I'm not concerned with value on mine either, originally 318/904 old lady's car. I know it'll make my car SOO much better to drive and I almost need it with the kind of racing I do (track days, road-race-type stuff). That's just a lot of freakin money for me to swing with my current income level and living expenses, would take 9 months or more if I saved every extra dollar I had left at the end of each month, guess I just have to accept that's what you get when you work for a small startup company with no revenue yet. And I still have a 440 and 727 to build and swap into my tow rig '72 D200 pickup... huhhnhnnnhhnn :(:BangHead:

I'm sure you are right, however I'm not spending the money as an investment. I'm spending it because I believe that it will make the car so much more fun to drive. I've already sunk over $50k into the car. If I were to sell it, I'm sure I could only recoup a portion of that.

For 3 pedals this is a great upgrade. Jealous lol...... Keep the pics rolling in....

JW

I'm not concerned with value on mine either, originally 318/904 old lady's car. I know it'll make my car SOO much better to drive and I almost need it with the kind of racing I do (track days, road-race-type stuff). That's just a lot of freakin money for me to swing with my current income level and living expenses, would take 9 months or more if I saved every extra dollar I had left at the end of each month, guess I just have to accept that's what you get when you work for a small startup company with no revenue yet. And I still have a 440 and 727 to build and swap into my tow rig '72 D200 pickup... huhhnhnnnhhnn :(:BangHead:

It's a next level investment for the average person. I wouldn't worry about any of that value crap and do your thing..... As for working with a Start-up company, never sell that situation short. I know many a people who were on the ground floor of a company startup and have a very rewarding career. In fact, the one that I saw first hand was a man who retired from a trucking company and I was at his retirement celebration. The owner gave him an envelope with a check made out to him that ensured he would not need to worry about money again.... So it can happen...

JW

I feel your pain. 22 years ago, when I was still working, I bought a Shelby Cobra replica. I really enjoyed the car but it took all my "spare" money to purchase it. I didn't have much left over to fix all the little things I wanted to change on the car. Now, I'm retired and, after a lifetime of savings, I have a bit of extra money to spend on my toys and don't mind spending it to make the car into what I would like it to be.

It's a next level investment for the average person. I wouldn't worry about any of that value crap and do your thing..... As for working with a Start-up company, never sell that situation short. I know many a people who were on the ground floor of a company startup and have a very rewarding career. In fact, the one that I saw first hand was a man who retired from a trucking company and I was at his retirement celebration. The owner gave him an envelope with a check made out to him that ensured he would not need to worry about money again.... So it can happen...

JW

I hear that, that's why I'm still here at this company otherwise I'd be long gone. I'm currently getting paid about half of what someone in my position would normally make. But if/when we successfully design a product we can sell and we start making revenue I should be getting into six figures. And if it all goes under I can find another job at a larger more established company and make double what I make now pretty much guaranteed. I'm only 30 though and looking to get married soon and I plan to have kids at some point so we'll see how that all pans out. It would be nice to have a stick-shift Duster before I'm 40 but so much is up in the air right now. @jcolman I get your situation that makes sense, I'm happy with my Duster the way it currently is especially since it runs and drives and is very reliable. Hopefully I don't have to wait until retirement to make my dreams into reality but I may need to reach that point in order to have both time AND money for my bigger projects.

Hell in about 6 months my parents will be selling their house and moving to another state so I won't really even have a good place to work on my vehicles anymore. Such is life... sorry for the rambling lol

Any updates?
Not yet. The new driveshaft is supposed to come in today. I'm hoping that the major work will be done by mid week. Once the car checks out and no drivng issues, it's going on the chassis dyno to tune the Holley Sniper EFI.

-
Back