My free Duster (Look close you will see why it is free)

-
Well the sheet metal work has come to a halt since I am out of patch material so I was gonna pull the motor and paint it. But before I could do that my Dad bought me a late 80's 360 so I decided to pull the motor anyways and start on the front. I know it seems that I am all over the place with this car but as long as I am doing something it will all come together in the end. So I got the motor pulled earlier and had to go shopping with the wife(WOOHOO). After I got back from the mall I decided it was time to start stripping the engine bay. I am using MarHyde paint remover just to see if it works worth a crap, and turns out it did a great job one coat and then a red scuff pad and it is clean. I plan on finishing the right inner fender and the firewall tommorrow so here are pics for now.

Engine out-Paint removal 005.jpg

Engine out-Paint removal 007.jpg

Engine out-Paint removal 009.jpg

Engine out-Paint removal 012.jpg

Engine out-Paint removal 015.jpg

NIZE job =P~=P~ That will look so slick when painted :cheers:
Congrat's on the new motor too :cheers:
one step at a time and enjoy dusted72 :happy10: You are doing a great job getting things dun :happy10:

looks like I need to jump on this bandwagon. Doing a great job. one of my winter project is to clean and paint the engine bay. I need some of that stripper (dont let the wife hear me say that) myself.

Well I got most of the driver side inner fender stripped but I ran out of stripper so I put it on really thin just to get it going. It did pretty well but I will have to do it a second time. Ok now I have another question there is some pitting on the inner fenders that is gonna need to be addressed. Should I have it blasted to get all the rust out or is there something else I can do? I am planning on having the roof blasted anyway sooooo?

More Paint Stripping 001.jpg

More Paint Stripping 008.jpg

More Paint Stripping 009.jpg

More Paint Stripping 005.jpg

That is a great score and your doing well getting it in shape, it takes a while but if you chip away it gets done.

Good job man and great looking steering colum you did a heck of a job on that.

I think you took on a tough project that most would have past on and congrats for getting another Mopar A body back on the right track.

Keep us posted.

Ok so I tried to use some of the that rust dissolver gel stuff. No dice I think it was a waste of cash so I am gonna try and find something better.

Hey didnt want everyone to forget this build so i bumped it up. I know Corey has been down with some medical issues and is planning on an deployment sometime. But maybe he will have something for us before to long!

Ok guys I had actually managed to get some stuff done before I got the deployment news but with work no time to post the pics. But since I am now home for another week and a half recovering from surgery last Monday I guess it is time to get caught up. First set of pics are my $40 Craiglist shifter with mount restoration.

Shifter and rust removal #1 002.jpg

Shifter and rust removal #1 005.jpg

Shifter and rust removal #1 006.jpg

Dash pics 002.jpg

Dash pics 004.jpg

Dash pics 018.jpg

I think my shifter came out great up next my brake pedal assembly restoration. I still need to get a brake light switch and a new rubber pad to replace the worn original but otherwise it is finished.

Brake pedal restoration 023.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 024.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 002.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 004.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 005.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 009.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 015.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 003.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 007.jpg

Here are the rest of the completed brake pedal. If you notice I tried to duplicate the factories method of only painting the bottom 2/3 of the brake pedal arm by just letting overspray mist the unpainted part. I also didn't paint anything else just WD-40 to help repel the moisture and keep it looking new.

Brake pedal restoration 010.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 018.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 022.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 033.jpg

Brake pedal restoration 043.jpg

Shoot as nice as they all turned out I'd paint it then clear over the whole assembly. Still look factory but won't serface rust.

Here I started on my dash frame, it had a little surface rust on the backside and a few scratches on the front so I figured I would get it ready to paint. I took a red scuff pad to the inside and some rust convertor spray paint and sprayed all of the inside then I took white primer ( I know it isn't correct to paint the inside of the dash especially white but I heard somewhee that white will reflect the light better if I have work to do under the dash) and sprayed the inside with a couple of good coats. I then took a wire wheel on my drill and a some sand paper by hand and cleaned the front up and got rid of all loose paint and rust and feathered all chips out so I had a smooth surface to work with.

Inner Dash Frame painting 021.jpg

Inner Dash Frame painting 027.jpg

Dash pics 001.jpg

Dash pics 002.jpg

Dash pics 003.jpg

Dash pics 006.jpg

Dash pics 007.jpg

Priming the Dash 005.jpg

Priming the Dash 006.jpg

Priming the Dash 007.jpg

Nice thread!!! I really need to get my project on a roll. Everyone on here is kickin my but, even with the all stops to your project you are smoking me

And here it is after priming the outside with a couple of high build spray can primer. I plan to use DupliColor Bumer Black to paint it, I have done several tests and it held up well. Plus that is what I used on my steering column.

Priming the Dash 008.jpg

Priming the Dash 009.jpg

Priming the Dash 010.jpg

Priming the Dash 012.jpg

Priming the Dash 013.jpg

Priming the Dash 027.jpg

The stuff I used is called EvapoRust. I got it at Tractor Supply it's roughly $20 a gallon and is reusable. Plus you can use it in the house. I soaked all my stuff and reassembled it in the kitchen. My wife is very understanding.

I enjoy a lot your thread.. Nice project. I have a lot of work very similar to yours.

keep working..

-
Back