My free Duster (Look close you will see why it is free)

-
:cheers:Excellent thread, great metal working skills! The lesson on patterns was better than all the books that I have read about metal working.
This is the way my Grandpa used to build them, I wish he still remembered how, I could use the knowledge.
Keep the pics coming, Can't wait to see more.

Update on the dash . I went and bought another can of paint last night and pud 3 really dry coats on and it really brought the shine down. The texture is really nice too. I don't have pics since it is hard to see anyway.

Hey I have a set of fender top signal blinkers if you want them let me know . You pay for shipping and they are yours again for FREE. They will need to be cleaned up but it looks like you got that task down to a science. steve

Hey I have a set of fender top signal blinkers if you want them let me know . You pay for shipping and they are yours again for FREE. They will need to be cleaned up but it looks like you got that task down to a science. steve

Give me a little time and I will take you up on that off. Thanks with people like you it will help me build this car on a budget.

Well I started cleaning the engine today but no luck. My water hose just doesn't have the pressure needed to cut through the grease and grime form over the years, so I am taking it to the car wash tomorrow that'll do it for sure. Also took a pic of the dash after it dryed over night. It cam e out really good. If you look at the pics from yesterday you can see how the dash has a shine to it. Now after the 3 really dry coats it has a even texture really close to the factory appearance. If you look in the pic there is no glare from my tool box so I think it will look really good when it is finished and installed.

Engine washing and dash finished 001.jpg

Engine washing and dash finished 003.jpg

Engine washing and dash finished 008.jpg

I know that motor, I think it was a Nascar edition, I am sure it was

Ok well I made some patch pieces today that I never thought I could without special tools, A COMPOUND CURVE. What I did was take a piece of smooth rebar and bend a small piece of sheet metal around it making a 90 degree angle. I had th eopen the angle up once I started doing the fitting to about 115-120 degrees. I then took the piece of sheet metal and a ball peen hammer and beat the snot out of one side stretching that side causing it to curve. It took about 5-10 minutes each side now all I gotta do is trim them down and finish making the rest of the quarter patch.

Quarter-bumper piece 001.jpg

Quarter-bumper piece 002.jpg

Quarter-bumper piece 003.jpg

Quarter-bumper piece 004.jpg

Quarter-bumper piece 007.jpg

Quarter-bumper piece 011.jpg

I am gonna make another trunk extension tomorrow and hopefully the passenger quarter patch.

Well I got me a welder today just a cheapo flux core but it works and with a little more practice it will be fine. Here is the first spot I tried to fix, not to bad just a little filler and I will be good to go.

Got me a welder 002.jpg

Got me a welder 014.jpg

Well I couldnt just sit here know that I finally have a welder so I finished my driver quarter patch. Whatcha think? Oh I also realized that I need to wear long sleeves about half way through. Now I have a really bad sun burn on one arm.

Quarter Patch 23 001.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 003.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 005.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 007.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 009.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 011.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 016.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 020.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 021.jpg

Quarter Patch 23 023.jpg

Man you are doing a sensational job! awesome, awesome progress! you definitely have the skills!!!

When you finish her up, I'll bring you my Duster and you can do my qtrs if you want. I'll gladly pay you to fix my rust issues. My car has the same rust out as yours does, not as bad but the drivers side does need attention and I am NOT good at bodywork at all. If interested let me know!!!!! By the way, I hope your feeling better and you are doing a GREAT Job on your car!!!!!!:cheers:

Ok today i finished my quarter patch now it has the correct curve in the wheel well area. I also have pics of the next area to repair. Enjoy Feedback is always welcome.

Finished Quarter patch 007.jpg

Finished Quarter patch 008.jpg

Finished Quarter patch 009.jpg

Finished Quarter patch 013.jpg

Finished Quarter patch 016.jpg

Finished Quarter patch 017.jpg

looking good dude. keep on going. this stuff isnt as difficult as alot of folks make it out to be. and the more you do it the easier it gets.

I,m sure your learning more ways to improve your car as you go.Glad to see your jumping in with both feet Corey!Keep up your challenge to eliminate rust from your ride!:thumblef:

looking good dude. keep on going. this stuff isnt as difficult as alot of folks make it out to be. and the more you do it the easier it gets.

I couldnt make myself go outside today and even start. So I opened your thread and got all fired up about it. I have probably looked through it a hundred times and everytime I still smile knowing that one day mine will be done too.

I,m sure your learning more ways to improve your car as you go.Glad to see your jumping in with both feet Corey!Keep up your challenge to eliminate rust from your ride!:thumblef:

Scott if it wasn't for your advice and encouragement to go out and buy a welder I would still be twiddling my thumbs. However I am not gonna weld anymore until I get gloves, my left hand hurts from the burns. And I have a blister about half the size of a Skittle on my big toe. OUCH!!! LOL

Both of you guys have inspired me to finish my car. Thanks guys

Oh it wasnt supposed to be. It was supposed to be blasted then painted. But it had black paint under the silver but no worries I still got a screaming deal Thanks. My wife flies back in on Tuesday, I will probably swing by before I pick her up.

correy, ive gotta tell you. please wear your protective gear. after 30 years of welding at all levels, accept nuke(i failed the tig in about 10 minutes). you will thank me later!!! especially your eyes. do not risk it. just some friendly advice from someone who's suffered thier own foolishness. Lenny.

-
Back