my frustration! left? handed lug nuts

-
Want more frustration? Wait till you try to remove the old studs. They are swedged to lock the drum to the hub. You must remove the swedging before pressing the studs out, or you will enlarge the hole in the hub. The new studs will not fit tightly in the enlarged hole. This is the correct tool for removing the swedging. http://www.goodson.com/Brake-Drum-Swedge-Cutting-Tool/
Or you can use a grinder/cutoff wheel.

PS it is not necessary to reswedge the new studs, although the factory did, and that required another special tool, which I have not been able to locate.

In 69 as a 20year old know it all, and certanly not one to ask for help, my Dad came out side and saw me jumping up and down on the lug wrench, my scrawny 140 lbs was having no impact on that lug nut. Without saying a word, Dad came over and took the lug wrench from me and proceeded to loosen two of the lugs, he then handed me the wrench back and walked back in the house, all of this and not a word said. Humbling . I learned a lot about me and my Dad that day.

I had my 9 year old son out in the garage helping me, and he is familiar with the left handed lug nuts on the left side. What he didn't realize(and I knew) was that there were a couple replacement RH studs on the left rear!! He was struggling over there with the impact, and getting a bit miffed, which of course made me chuckle!! I couldn't take it anymore and showed him the replacement studs!!

Just trying to get him to investigate the "why" and get past the "how"!! Geof

All mopars older then 1970 used left and right hand threads on the wheel studs. Drivers side had right hand and the passenger side left and threads.
You've got that backwards the drivers side is the left side of the car so it has the left handed lugs & nuts and the passengers side is the right side & has the right handed lugs & nuts...Bill:thumblef:

1970 was the last year for it, not until '73 and not pre-70.
Wow how many Mopars have you worked on... What you are saying is it was only in 1970 that they did the left & right lugs ?? If 70 was the last year for it and it wasn't pre 70...Wrong answer it was Pre 1973..1972 still had left & right lugs. And it went way back to the sixties and maybe but not sure into the fifties... Check in the manuals to check your failing memory..LOl...Bill:protest:

my first car was a 65 valiant barracuda and my grandpa came over to help me with it. we jacked it up and put stands under it. it was gonna be a total restoration with springs for seats and half of the engine missing. so he told me i should start by taking the wheels off. i was 15 and didnt have much knowledge of old cars so i start taking the wheels off and couldn't seam to get the lugs off...he kept telling me to "put out" on it they will come off.. so i kept trying and sure enough it came off.....all of it and he said oh well we can get new ones and on to the next one...after snapping 3 lug studs off my other grandfather...the mechanic...stopped by and said boy what the hell are you doing and he told me they were reverse threads....man i was pissed

Wow how many Mopars have you worked on... What you are saying is it was only in 1970 that they did the left & right lugs ?? If 70 was the last year for it and it wasn't pre 70...Wrong answer it was Pre 1973..1972 still had left & right lugs. And it went way back to the sixties and maybe but not sure into the fifties... Check in the manuals to check your failing memory..LOl...Bill:protest:

No, you are misunderstanding. I was correcting two other people in the thread, one who said it was anything "pre-73" and the other who said "pre-70" (meaning through '69). Neither of those two statements is correct.

Sorry, I think my punctuation threw off my message. I didn't want the incorrect statements in the thread going uncorrected, when in fact, 1970 was the last year that left-hand lugnuts were used.

Make sense now?

And if you are saying that 1972 still had the left hand lugnuts, no, that is not correct. 1970 was the last year for it.

I'm not sure how far back the LH lugs went but my 50 DeSoto had them... (Lug bolts, not nuts though)

-
Back