My license plate resto

-

Loosenutz

Big Member
Reaction score
Received my black and yellow plates so I started the restoration process on them. Stripped them down and put a nice thick coat of School Bus Yellow followed by a coat of clear. Going to let them dry for about a week and then I'll coat them in Black. Before the black fully cures I'll carefully wipe the tops of the letters with lacquer thinner to remove the black and then clear coat again. I've heard this is the easiest way to do license plates and yields great results. We shall see.

plates.jpg

20120905_175816.jpg

20120905_182840.jpg

The black plates on California classics are always just the sweetest little bit of icing on the cake. I've seen plenty of older California cars with the new white plates and it's just not the same. :glasses7:

Can't wait to see how these turn out.

The black plates on California classics are always just the sweetest little bit of icing on the cake. I've seen plenty of older California cars with the new white plates and it's just not the same. :glasses7:

I agree. The white modern plates just look out of place. A good set of black plates will set you back $300 after the registration fee but well worth it in my opinion.

I had to have these plates too because they are practically personalized for my Dart. My last name starts with W and my car has a stroker 408. I've come up with a few possibilities on the meanings....

Be sure to post the results.

I need to do my CA blue and gold plates since I was rear-ended. Anybody know what to use for the blue? I can't find it anywhere. My plates are a little faded so I can't really tell them to match the plate.

I got lucky. I found a set still in the paper from the dmv uncirculated.Pricey though.

Attachments

• car show 040 (Large).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 132

Those cars were proably not originally plated in California. Out-of-state cars moving into Cali are issued whatever plates are current at that time (like my Duster).

-
Back