my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
That's awesome can't wait to see when you get her all dialed in.

Low 15s......awesome!
14's are within reach! !!!!

Jeff
about "3 sputters out of the hole" away..... LOL. Get rid of that and I'll punch into the 14's no problem...

$499 in a 318......damn good!
Just think, you have good things in your future with your headers, 3.55's, and aftermarket converter. I think if I get my 60 ft. down to even a 2.20, I'll be running 14.80's with ease. cough, sputter eddy, cough.... lol.
Are you thinking high 13's at about 100 mph for you??? I am ....

I'm hoping 13's and a couple over 100.....I'd be thrilled with that!

I think I can drop it back in the hole next weekend...getting close

20160604_104451_zpsg4chhqqi.jpg

Jeff

You make me want to revisit my "Duster on the Cheap" project again.

Just think, you have good things in your future with your headers, 3.55's, and aftermarket converter. I think if I get my 60 ft. down to even a 2.20, I'll be running 14.80's with ease. cough, sputter eddy, cough.... lol.
Are you thinking high 13's at about 100 mph for you??? I am ....

What are your plans for the car?
Daily driver. ....flip it ???????

Jeff

What are your plans for the car?
Daily driver. ....flip it ???????

Jeff
Drive it. No plans to sell it. Not a stitch of rust underneath, and it's just too hard for us in the rust belt to get them like this here. They are either done and expensive, or pure parts cars.
-- I love the highway gears. Engine is relaxed going down the road at 60 mph. We drove it 1 hour to the strip today, and of course 1 hour home. Runs nice and cool, didn't use a ton of gas, just a fun ride.
But I'm going to be a tweaking as time permits.... I'm going to push the mph up and knock the E.T. down. :D

Drive it. No plans to sell it. Not a stitch of rust underneath, and it's just too hard for us in the rust belt to get them like this here. They are either done and expensive, or pure parts cars.
-- I love the highway gears. Engine is relaxed going down the road at 60 mph. We drove it 1 hour to the strip today, and of course 1 hour home. Runs nice and cool, didn't use a ton of gas, just a fun ride.
But I'm going to be a tweaking as time permits.... I'm going to push the mph up and knock the E.T. down. :D

That's awesome. .....!
A nice cruiser and runs strong!

Jeff

From the 2nd post of this thread...

*This project assumes you already have dual exhaust. If not, that will be must before you start*. I'm doing it with manifolds, no headers.
Budget is to stay under 499.00 for all purchases including gaskets.
Goal here is simple. Most factory muscle cars in the late 60's to early 70's are well documented to have run between 14.20's - 15.60's. I want to run in the middle, high 14's. The target of my goal is to run with a factory '73 340 Duster. They have been well documented to run low 15's with auto and 3.23 gearing. With slicks they hit high 14's, and this is my target.
Manufacturer Original Sales Brochures
Performance
Engine 0 to 60 MPH Quarter Mile Source
340ci/240 hp 6.6 sec 14.9 sec @ 90 mph

Here is one article (and there are many articles) on the '73 340 Duster performance. This one seems pretty consistant to whats out there. The target car of my goal was this car, now compare my E.T. slip and you can see my "almost" 94 mph and soon to be 14's E.T. is saying "hey, you don't have to break a bank and your teener can run with the muscle cars of yesteryear"!!!!!! Thus, the whole point of this thread. Sure hope this inspires, and helps many noobies to come!!!

Saw the other post,at work.. Nice going,@94 trap speed,fix the small stuff:I see a 14.50-14.60 slip,around 96-98 trap speed.. NICE JOB!

Hopefully it push most people in the right direction.

Problem is most of us don't know what we want and automatically pick without thinking that we need a 400-450 hp 12 second car. Which requires a complete over haul of the whole car. A more reasonable goal is 13.5-14.5 (250-350 hp) which is more than enough to keep up with most muscle car old or new.
And can brake it down to weekend projects that will keep on putting a smile on our face after each step. Instead of I just put a Huge *** cam in and runs like **** but wait until I do thsee 3 more mods and she be real fast and even after its all done probably have a car you don't want to drive much.

Last edited:
Hopefully it push most people in the right direction.

Problem is most of us don't know what we want and automatically pick without thinking that we need a 400-450 hp 12 second car. Which requires a complete over haul of the whole car. A more reasonable goal is 13.5-14.5 (250-350 hp) which is more than enough to keep up with most muscle car old or new.
And can brake it down to weekend projects that will keep on putting a smile on our face after each step. Instead of I just put a Huge *** cam in and runs like **** but wait until I do thsee 3 more mods and she be real fast and even after its all done probably have a car you don't want to drive much.
Words of wisdom,here...I used to tune the old stuff in (big cams,no compression,no gear/converter..) The car ,I enjoyed the most: A well set up low buck chassis /used 360notchback Cuda. Sold it,it ended up running 13:60's @ 101-102.....A small 200/204 @.050,7.8 compression 360......

This really is a interesting thread. Doing more with less, gotta love it.
One thing that I seen is the spring pulling your kickdown lever should go from the cable stud back to the bellcrank arm by the firewall. There is a little hole in it for the spring. Of course linkages are different through the years, so I might be all wet.
As it is now you might not get full throttle opening on the carb.
From what I read, 70 340 Dusters with a 3:55 gear ran 14:70's. You're right there with a carb tune.
To bad your not closer, I'd let you use my 650 Eddie carb.

This really is a interesting thread. Doing more with less, gotta love it.
One thing that I seen is the spring pulling your kickdown lever should go from the cable stud back to the bellcrank arm by the firewall. There is a little hole in it for the spring. Of course linkages are different through the years, so I might be all wet.
As it is now you might not get full throttle opening on the carb.
From what I read, 70 340 Dusters with a 3:55 gear ran 14:70's. You're right there with a carb tune.
To bad your not closer, I'd let you use my 650 Eddie carb.
Thanks... yeah, I do have the hole for the spring in the linkage, but I don't have the right spring.... LOL. Throttle is coming wide open for sure. Yes, the 70 340 Duster with 3.55's would be quicker than the '73 340 Duster with 3.21's. I think the 70 340 Duster with 3.55's was around 14.40's/96 mph. I have other carbs to put on it, it's just I was trying to work with the "low dollar" bargains.... LOL
One of the best threads I've seen in a long time. Thank you, 318willrun!
Mighty kind words, 360DartGT66. Thanks :) Just trying to offer something for the new guy with a 318 2bbl that has no money. Too often they are told unless they have 2000 dollars and a 360, they can't play. :p

It's because of this thread that I went from a Krylon Rebuild to actually getting in there and doing something with my 318!
Porting my heads was actually FUN!
Thank you 318willrun for a great thread and a TON of inspiration!

Jeff

It's because of this thread that I went from a Krylon Rebuild to actually getting in there and doing something with my 318!
Porting my heads was actually FUN!
Thank you 318willrun for a great thread and a TON of inspiration!

Jeff
I'm just as excited to see how your car runs too, Jeff!!

Anything new to add. How's the tuning going?
My family and I are on vacation this week. I'll get back to the Duster, but I got a lot to do and will I be busy when I get back... but I'll find a few minutes here and there....

So with all the rain they are predicting for the next several days, I got a couple of hours on this nice day and I throw them at the Duster. I installed one of those Bosch tachs I bought about 4 months ago that the auto parts stores sell, and guess what? It doesn't work. Yes, I know how to hook up a tach.... LOL. I don't know where I bought it, no receipt, so I lost. I used to always run the "auto gage by auto meter" tachs and never a problem. 1st time with a Bosch, bad experience I guess. The light works, and that's all..... :( I wanted to see what RPM's I'm shifting at, and all. I've got some tweaking to do, but I want to start with a tach to be consistant...... I guess another day...

-
Back