My main vise.

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Although I have lots of vises this thread is about my bench vise.
Yesterday I broke my 4" vise so I started looking for a new one.
Looked at Harbor freights vises, then looked at them on Amozon.com.

Then thought I'd look on craigs list to see if there was anything.
The first ad that popped up was for a 5" bench vise that was still in its box and had never been used. Got it for $25 bucks.

Rotates 360 degrees and has a pipe vise under the jaws. It is made in china but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

74%2520dart%2520272.jpg

Nice. I also broke a vise (Harbor Freight), and I wasn't using it super hard. Looked like thin cast iron. Replaced it with another Harbor Freight because for the price I can break one every 5 yrs and come out ahead, plus a lot of name brands are from China now too.

I was shopping for a vise a couple years ago, and hated the prices....OUCH

So, I bought one on craigslist too. Not as nice as your though :thumbup:

Attachments

• Christmas Vise 004.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 309
Good score.

I'm finding some things (like vises) are the same price no matter if they are new, used, great shape, or fair to poor shape.

Metal blade box fans are another, and retractable air hose reels.

looks great just be warned some times using them to press in U joints will break them i sacked up years ago and bought a craftsman 6" vise that thimg was the best money ive spent in years

I bought one just like that at least 25 years ago, damn thing weighs a ton and it cannot be destructed, have had lots of people use it. It is my main go to tool and is mounted on a bench from hell that wont budge an inch LOL, mine is a Buffalo brand if I remember right and paid close to $40 for it new.

I went to a garage sale last week where there was a 6" Wilton vice. When I spotted it I started heading toward it and another guy cut right in front of me and slid up to it like a base runner coming home in a baseball game. I figured if he was that serious he could just as well have it. He got a great vice for $45.00! Deals are out there...but sometimes you gotta be fast!

Although I have lots of vises this thread is about my bench vise.
Yesterday I broke my 4" vise so I started looking for a new one.
Looked at Harbor freights vises, then looked at them on Amozon.com.

Then thought I'd look on craigs list to see if there was anything.
The first ad that popped up was for a 5" bench vise that was still in its box and had never been used. Got it for $25 bucks.

Rotates 360 degrees and has a pipe vise under the jaws. It is made in china but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

74%2520dart%2520272.jpg

I have that same vise and have been using it for about 4-5 years. The only thing that broke are the pins that run through the turntable locking bolts. They're made of some super inferior grade of something resembling metal. I just knocked them out and drilled the bolt pin holes to accept a 3/8" grade 5 bolt.

I went to a garage sale last week where there was a 6" Wilton vice. When I spotted it I started heading toward it and another guy cut right in front of me and slid up to it like a base runner coming home in a baseball game. I figured if he was that serious he could just as well have it. He got a great vice for $45.00! Deals are out there...but sometimes you gotta be fast!

I'd have tripped his *** and tagged him out. :snakeman: That Wilton is 250 bucks + new.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 230
-
Back