My Mopar Story

-

JTG

Reaction score
I'll try not to make this a novel, my love is for the Barracuda both A&E bodies. It started when I was 14 while walking to school with a friend, he pointed out a car driving pass. I didn't know what it was, he went on to tell me it was a 70 Barracuda and that his brother use to own one. I liked the car so much, I told him when I get my license and can afford one that would be the first car I would buy. He told me to shut up and stop talking ****.
The blue 74 Barracuda pictured below is the first car I bought, paid $2000.00 and drove it for three years, eventually structual issues forced me to part out the car.
I now was in search of another car, my boss and myself drove pass a car on the side of the road that had a for sale sign. Once again had no idea what it was, but felt compelled to stop to check it out. To my surprise it was a Barracuda, this must be fate, was not sure of the year because it didn't look anything like the Barracuda I was familiar with. After calling the owner it turned out to be a 68 Barracuda notchback, I found this car to be so unique looking that I had to buy it. Paid $3000.00 and drove this car for three years, the red Barracuda pictured below, once again uncarriage work that was required forced to me to part this car out. Keep in mind at the time being young and having low income it was cheaper to just buy another one then pay the huge cost to fix these type of things.
Here we go again looking for another car, this time I was empolyed with Chrysler and had more disposable income. As much as I like Ebodies and still do, just wanted another 68 notchback, sorry guys not a fan of the fastback. Through word of mouth at Chrysler, I put it out there, didn't hear anything back for more then a year, received a call one day about a 68 notchback that someone was contemplating on selling. Went to look at it, was under the impression it was a turn key car. To my surprise it was a shell sitting up on blocks, not even a rolling chassis, (just to clarify shell, asbolutely no drivetrain, zero interior, no glass, or any exterior ornamentation). Said thanks, but no thanks and started walking away, the owner stopped me and handed me a flashlight and said look at the car top to bottom, inside and out, see if you can find a spec of rust anywhere then make your decision. The car had all its original metal, not a spec of rust anywhere, one could eat off the entire undercarriage. Very impressive beyond believe I must say, it was at this point I had to decide, do I want to get involved in something of this magnitude. Let's see, I'm not married, have no kids and have no girlfriend, I work at Chrysler and will be able to get most of the mechanial parts next to cost, also I still have parts from the other notchback. I made a deal with the guy to make it into a rolling chassis and then I would buy it. I bought this car in 1990, after working at Chrysler for over tens years and obtaining components still available and numerous trips to the Mopar Nationals in the States, and many ebay purchases I managed to get the car back to its present state after twenty years, (yellow notchback pictured below.) To give you an idea of how rust free this car is, Im driving it with the original fuel and brakes lines it came with off the assembly line. Because of the time, sweat and money put into this car I will never sell it, but still hope to buy another Ebody to park next to it in the future. Sorry a couple of the pictures are not great, digital cameras didn't exist back then.

Attachments

• 74 Barracuda.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3497.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_3493.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3490.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3488.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3487.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3485_1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_3480.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3479.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 68 Barracuda.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 257
Im with you, I absolutely LOVE the notch's! Yours is incredible, glad you shared your story.

Nice car! Notchback are cool but have a soft spot for the droptops. I still like the look of your car though.

Great looking car, I too, bought a completely rust free preserved car that spent its life in SoCal and Arizona. It is definitely worth the effort to find a rust free canidate, even if you have to pay more originally.

Great story!
I prefer the fast backs over the notches, but that yellow car is really sweet.
Rust free is the only way to go, i agree.
Thanks for sharing your cars and their history.

Great looking car, I too, bought a completely rust free preserved car that spent its life in SoCal and Arizona. It is definitely worth the effort to find a rust free canidate, even if you have to pay more originally.

Totally agree dustoff440, I did have to pay more no denying that, but it definitely was worth it at the end of the day, plus I was sick and tried of owning ones that needed to be parted out due to rust issues.

Thank you very much guys for the responses and compliments, sorry was getting too late last night for more details, so to give a little more insight, the shell came from the U.S of course, where else would one find such a rust free car, not up here in Canada let me tell you, had to learn the hard way twice with the two other Barracuda's. The story behind the yellow car, the original engine blew up in 1978, the owner then just sent it to the salvage yard, which is not surpising considering it was not a classic at that period in time and not viewed as anything other then just a car. The car was stripped of all its parts, this is how these yards need to make their money. The complete shell then was purchased and brought back to Canada where it was keep in storage for 12 years, no time and money was the reason the gentleman sold it to me, this tends to be usual senario with these types of projects. Also due to time and money and tracking down all of the missing components and major health problems it took me twenty years to complete. This is the first year for me actually driving this car, it quit amazing when you think about it, this car has been in storage for a total of 32 years.

My love for cars are like for women, some could be short, some could be tall, as long as they are pretty thin and fun to be with is good enough for me.

I seen this very cool car today while bike riding, it was those old chopper cars, those early 30 cars with a newer V8 all chrome and side pipes--not too loud either. Looked so cool, would love to have one--expect it didn't seem too strong in an accident, so I would be scared to drive it much--like those racing motorcycles, very cool but one mistake and you are history

My love for cars are like for women, some could be short, some could be tall, as long as they are pretty thin and fun to be with is good enough for me.

I seen this very cool car today while bike riding, it was those old chopper cars, those early 30 cars with a newer V8 all chrome and side pipes--not too loud either. Looked so cool, would love to have one--expect it didn't seem too strong in an accident, so I would be scared to drive it much--like those racing motorcycles, very cool but one mistake and you are history

dodge freak, cars are like: when you already have a hot girlfriend but you still want to checkout everyone else's.
Some of those street rods are really cool, the finishing work done on my Barracuda that I was unable to complete due to lack of proper equipment was done by a street rod shop, my car was the youngest in there, most were in the thirties time period, the car directly beside mine was 1928, really cool looking cars. I always had a thing for a 41 Willys coupe.
I seen a nice Dart earlier tonight , I was pleased to finally see another muscle car for a change in my area, it seems I'm the only guy in the area that has one, you start feeling like a loner after awhile. This is what happens when all your friends get married and have lots of kids, no more muscle cars.

Attachments

• 41_Willys_1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 138
-
Back