My new 66 vert

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
So I picked this up from a member on the site, real nice guy (thanks Tom).
Ready for the body shop for finish, primer and color. I'm shaking out everything and there's a lot. I can't believe everything that I hauled home will fit on this car. So here's the question. The grill, headlight bezels etc. are in pretty good shape but I'd like them restored. Anybody knw someone, in the Midwest preferably tat refinish/restore the trim, badges, bezels, etc?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 125
So I picked this up from a member on the site, real nice guy (thanks Tom).
Ready for the body shop for finish, primer and color. I'm shaking out everything and there's a lot. I can't believe everything that I hauled home will fit on this car. So here's the question. The grill, headlight bezels etc. are in pretty good shape but I'd like them restored. Anybody knw someone, in the Midwest preferably tat refinish/restore the trim, badges, bezels, etc?
Thanks

NICE CAR! almost all the hard work looks to be done!
if your not afraid of a little scrubbing you can do the anodized stuff your self and save a bundle on it. I just did my headlight bezels, grill and all the trim except the potmetal spears and corner pieces on the convertible top. Mine look like someone beat the snot out of the trim! every piece had big dents and scratches in them,even the stainless trim was beat up. I have 1 piece I'll have to solder up to fix a huge scratch that goes almost all the way through the door molding trim but they look good otherwise.

use easy off oven cleaner to remove the anodizing on the aluminum (sp)grill trim and bezels. remove dents and scratches then just sand with finer grades of sand paper till you hit about 2000 grit load up the buffing wheel and polish it up. you can then either have them re-anodized or just wax em for a great shine.
here's some of mine in progress and almost finished the last 2 pic's really don't show the shine but they are mirror bright, I haven't waxed mine yet because I had to remove the bacl mounting piece on the grill because of the damage to both pieces from a pole the PO ran into. and I still have to add in the black bands that go on the bezels and grill.

View attachment DSCF3713.jpg

View attachment 0122131354.jpg

View attachment 0122131401a.jpg

View attachment 0122131354a.jpg

View attachment 0208131615.jpg

View attachment 0208131615b.jpg

View attachment 0208131616.jpg

View attachment 0203131530.jpg

View attachment 0203131530a.jpg

I seen that car for sale here.Nice deal and looking forward to your progress with it.Take lots of pics and start a restoration thread.Good luck.

66 dvert. That work looks awesome. The headlight bezels are really the only trim that I've found so far that isn't 85%. And there's a lot. I think I'll take a wack at the bezels. The Gt badges are very nice but the paint is faded. They'll clean up great with a jewelers wheel, but what paint do you use on the stripes?
Man o man, it's going to take a month just to shake out the pieces. But, the car is rock solid and you're right. Pretty much all the hard stuff is done.

66 dvert. That work looks awesome. The headlight bezels are really the only trim that I've found so far that isn't 85%. And there's a lot. I think I'll take a wack at the bezels. The Gt badges are very nice but the paint is faded. They'll clean up great with a jewelers wheel, but what paint do you use on the stripes?
Man o man, it's going to take a month just to shake out the pieces. But, the car is rock solid and you're right. Pretty much all the hard stuff is done.
thanks the bezels and grill were really whacked out of shape. the pictures don't do them justice. I had to solder a couple of holes and then rework them into shape too! remember if your going to take a stab at the bezels to remove the anodizing,or it'll take forever to sand it down otherwise.

it's a great looking car ya got there.

as for the gt emblems I used pinstripe enamel in red white and blue. but I've seen others use fingernail polish, model paint or regular enamel paint that is a close match. I don't know about the durability on the other stuff but pin striping paint lasts a looooong time, and the wife wouldn't let me near her fingernail polish:D

WOW!! That is what I like, Dang that 6 works great in there. Congratulations :cheers:

-
Back