My New FABO Reality Show...Rani, I'ma Callin' You Out!!!

-
Geoff, I promise no more "dirty" tactics with "glamour" shots....a New Year means a New me!!! Well maybe....kinda hard to keep my alter ego under wraps!!

Well after struggling with one dash screw for a day, it finally came out with the help of PB blaster and my dremel tool. I must say it was a pain in the arse to say the least. You can see how small it was in the pic. Once it was out, I finished up with the sandblasting. Sprayed a couple coats of adhesion promoter and then one coat of Duplicolor Chrome. NOT HAPPY with the Chrome at all!! Looks like a shiny silver, to me it doesnt look like chrome at all, but whaddya expect coming out of a can. Im thinking of doing some wetsanding before the other coat and see how the 2nd coat turns out.

I also got the pod centers removed from the lenses using my "soldering kit". Kept the little "tits" to re-attach them later on.

Attachments

• DSCF9716 (Medium).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 548
  • DSCF9718 (Medium).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 544
  • DSCF9720 (Medium).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 539
  • DSCF9736 (Medium).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 544
  • DSCF9737 (Medium).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 543
  • DSCF9739 (Medium).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 526
Not from me. It's my last day off for awhile and I'm gonna enjoy it. :-D

Last day off??? No no no no, we all know how hard you work Leanna!!:prayer: Geof/cosgig just called me and he told me to tell you to wait a couple weeks and relax before you get started on Nellas pieces:hello2:

Just finished wetsanding my SILVER NOT CHROME bezel....Im hoping for better results with this layer....

Ladies and Gentlemen, does anybody know what time it is??? Thats right, it's time for a special New Years addition of...."The Gauntlet"!!!

Yep, thats right, even though PSC isn't open New Years day, the folks here at "The Gauntlet" never sleep, and live by the creedo... "If it ain't broke, force it until it does break"!!!... no wait Johnny, that ain't our creedo, it's..."The show must go on"!!!, so...

When last we left our heroes, 4spd Steve was mired down in the doldrums of stripped screw removal, which handily set him back for our other 2 contestants. Well, he must've felt the heat of hot breath on his back and called out the big guns, namely MORE POWER!!!! In a flash of activity that pesky screw was out and he was back off to the races. He's got the other 2 contestants scared, and curious at the same time.

How will the spray chrome work out?? Will the woodgrain stick to the bezel?? Did 6pk "C" save the day with the adhesion promoter?? And what of his new leaf?? Lets just hope it's not a Figleaf and he falls off the wagon again!! Only time will tell folks, only time will tell!!!

Did you hear that folks?? Listen real close... nope I didn't hear it either!!! Not a sound from over at camp Rani!!! After the harnesses were hung by the chimney with care, Santa must've brought her something really special, maybe a 4 speed "Manual" for some reading in the office!! We should've sent a spy over to the "What'd ya' get fer Christmas" thread she had going!! Alas, all our spies were either off for the holiday or over at the 68-9 bezel resto thread....oops, I mean enjoying some holiday cheer!!! I got a feelin' a storms-a-brewin' out in Colorado and it's headed right for our studios!!!LOL!!

That brings us to to our host for this episode Mr. cosgig!! He has not been idle, oh no, in fact he does have some progress to report. Seems that after the bezels were stuffed into the package with care, off they went off in the sleigh to GCAR!!! With news of the arrival of the dash frame to Leanna's secret lair, old cos has turned his attention to his side project, making up a decent heater box to replace the long lost one from Sunfish!! Yes, it might be a convertible, but it'd be nice to have a little blast of heat on those chilly evening drives.

Well, after taking apart 4 different boxes, he finally has enough parts to build one good one. Of course, the housing he has to use is the most mouse infested unit of the bunch, but it is from a 67 and has the cable brackets in the correct places. The front will have to be a different part numbered unit as the correct one has a pop riveted door, and even that doesn't open. It's a good thing cos is a pack rat and saves EVERYTHING, even broken heater boxes. He also must've used up his last few brain cells a while back and bought a door foam replacement set!! Who knew years later he'd be needing it!!! Mickey and the fam have been evicted, but the useable sections still need to be cleaned up before re-assembly!!

So, thats it for now, tune in next time when when we answer the age old question...where the heck is Rani??? Although I think Steve may know something, he's keeping a tight lip!! And what of the cat?? Did he ever regain his eyesight?? Find out next time on..."The Gauntlet!!!

Attachments

• 100_4629.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 538
  • 100_4628.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 549
  • 100_4627.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 568
  • 100_4626.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 542
  • 100_4625.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 540
Gotta agree with ya PBD on the PITA, I tried removing the ac evaporator when we were re-doing dads for a cleaning, but it wasnt coming out in one piece!! So I cleaned it the best I could. We had a new heater core, required a little trimming on the mounting edges but worked good.

Ok, so here is some of the progress I have made. After the 1st coat of "Chrome" I wasnt very happy with it, so I 600 grit wet-sanded it.There is now a total of 3 coats on it and the "chrome" is totally coming off in my hands even after curing for 24 hours!!Looks more like metallic silver than chrome. Im gonna continue with it anyway and start with the black on the bezel.
I used PlastX for the pod lenses and it worked good. Mine were in decent shape but had rust stains on the bottoms of the larger lenses. I had to use PlastX about 3 times but got 99% of the rust off.
I painted the outside of the pods with SEM Landau Black, but it didnt match close enough to my liking. I went with MarHyde Satin Black. Not 100% but close enough. Pod centers have 1 light coat of "chrome" on them. They will get another couple of really light coats. Not sure what Im going to use for gauges yet, I have to inspect and pick the best ones, and havent gotten word from the company that is updating mine and dads tachs. Not to the PITA detailing!!

Attachments

• DSCF9771 (Medium).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 512
  • DSCF9769 (Medium).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCF9765 (Medium).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCF9761 (Medium).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 484
  • DSCF9757 (Medium).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 476
  • DSCF9756 (Medium).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCF9758 (Medium).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 502
Hmmm, Steve, that chrome doesn't have me convinced at all, I say a total redo is necessary to really get the right look, and you need at least 2 weeks between coats for it to fully cure!!! And didn't I read on the can that 5 coats is the MINIMUM??? Why does it sound like I'm trying to stall you???...Because I am!!!

I just got word from GCAR about my bezels!! They are currently working on a 10-12 week lead time, and he hasn't even looked at my stuff yet and may not for 2 weeks!!!YOWWWIE!!!

OK, I'll admit it!! I flew out to Rani's place and secretly removed the 4 speed setup she just installed in the Dart and hid it in a Chevette she had out back, hoping to derail her progress on the dash!!

Now I'm turning my attention the the "other" 4 psd, in a feeble attempt at the same. I'm sending over my Canadian "Connection" to help stall him while I desperately fumble for something I can do to get a leg up on these 2 fiesty competitors!!

In the meantime, I guess I got some time to finish my heater box, clean and dress the window frame for the new glass, and do my R/T Engineering tach board install.

Working on de-mousifying the heater box right now and it's hanging out to dry. Also have to find some sticky sided foam to replace the inner flap door seals (not included in the outer door kit), and check the multitude of heater cores, ala pettyblu's suggestion to find the best one!!

Progress is being made, but the GCAR timeline is gonna bite me in the bottomland!! I'd actually rather have this happen than have had a leg up on my competitors by having some things already done and ready. Not fair!!!

OK, gotta go, the boxes are dried and time to play Ketchup!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4639.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 100_4640.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 100_4641.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 508
UPDATE HERE: is that im going to cheat ....a FABO member has an uncut dash bezel,but as always im broke as a joke.......

but this member has kind enough to wait for my payday which is in a few short days......so as sooon as i can, i am going to buy that and be hurdled ahead of the ballgame in time LOL

when it gets here i still need to re-do the paint on it so dont worry too much.

the four speed swap is really stalling me ....i been driving the car around trying to work the bugs out but yesterday i was on the highway and when i let go of the gas, i got a really scary vibration and noise at 85 MPH.

i slowed down after that and got off the highway.....under normal driving in the city i never got that noise or vibration again. so now in considering pulling the trans again and taking a peek inside .....i think something is up with the 3/4 syncrho.

but on the bright side .....its just an 833 ....so what.... two hours max to R & R a trans. :cheers: which why i love these old cars ....sure beats fighting a late model modular ferd for hours un-ending which i am all too well familiar with. :evil1:

the chrome in a can Mr. Steve is using.....is it lacquer or can it maybe be clear coated to seal it in.......if its lacquer all bets of that are off......but its something more stable than that....it might be sealed in with a clear.....just tinking out loud

UPDATE HERE: is that im going to cheat ....a FABO member has an uncut dash bezel,but as always im broke as a joke.......

but this member has kind enough to wait for my payday which is in a few short days......so as sooon as i can, i am going to buy that and be hurdled ahead of the ballgame in time LOL

the four speed swap is really stalling me ....i been driving the car around trying to work the bugs out but yesterday i was on the highway and when i let go of the gas, i got a really scary vibration and noise at 85 MPH.

i slowed down after that and got off the highway.....under normal driving in the city i never got that noise or vibration again. so now in considering pulling the trans again and taking a peek inside .....i think something is up with the 3/4 syncrho.

but on the bright side .....its just an 833 ....so what.... two hours max to R & R a trans. :cheers: which why i love these old cars ....sure beats fighting a late model modular ferd for hours un-ending which i am all too well familiar with. :evil1:

So Miss Rani, you found where I stashed the 4 speed stuff huh?? DRAT!! I thought you'd never look in the Chevette!!!LOL!! I knew I shoulda hid it in that Ferd!!!

Hope you work out that vibration, although I hope you don't climb up to 85 MPH too often!! Geof

So Miss Rani, you found where I stashed the 4 speed stuff huh?? DRAT!! I thought you'd never look in the Chevette!!!LOL!! I knew I shoulda hid it in that Ferd!!!

Hope you work out that vibration, although I hope you don't climb up to 85 MPH too often!! Geof

ten over the speed limit is my limit on is particular stretch of highway near an old airport.......im always the only car out there for miles when im out there......advantage to living in a really low populated area....

i think something is up with 1/2 syncro bcoz it dont shift smooth into second everytime it kinda "clunk" into second and its a brand new clutch so hmmmm. the trans has not been rebuilt but was running and driving fine in the donor car i took it out of. :banghead:

not to worry ....i was distracted again today .....i have noticed the puddle of oil under the car has become bigger and bigger so i finally got sick of the oil spot on the floor and chased it down to the valve cover gasket as the main culprit.......what a dirty nasty job......labor of love.....i will do anything for Natasha even clean up after her :shaking2: i call it automotive ADD

Attachments

• CIMG1780.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 492
  • CIMG1779.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 471
Hi Rani, the "chrome" I am using is enamel based, but from every thread I have read on here, if you spray clear on it, it will change the chrome to dark grey. I will spray something and give the before and after pics of it with clear on it.

Rani, before you pull the trany apart, check the drive shaft length. Might be the slip yoke pulling out to far, also check the bushing the yoke rides in, might just be warn.

... I just got word from GCAR about my bezels!! They are currently working on a 10-12 week lead time, and he hasn't even looked at my stuff yet and may not for 2 weeks!!!YOWWWIE!!! ...

Only 10-12 weeks? Wow, they must not be very busy. :-D

Only 10-12 weeks? Wow, they must not be very busy. :-D

Yep, according to my calculations, that puts me somewhere in 2017!!! Don't they have any respect for "The Gauntlet" and our tight production schedules!!!?? On the "other" reality car shows, they just go to their vendors and whine, and boom, their projects are done in 22 minutes!!! Ah, the "reality" of it all!! Just goes to show you folks, reality ain't what it used to be!!!LOL Geof

i been really lax on the dash build to give you guys a much needed head start J/K

today is my payday for the month so by monday my check will clear and i can buy the bezel.

so one week from today i will have gained some serious ground.

i worked on the frame today...(actually im working on it right now...break time)

i finished the valve cover gasket job and gave Natasha a much needed oil change. she is getting new spark plugs and cap and rotor this coming week too :cheers:
i hope you guys are not like rabbit racing the tortise.....i may be the tortise, but i am on the move :cheers:

Attachments

• CIMG1784.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 449
BTW ...im not sure if we are allowed to share notes here ...but anyone where to get the little rubber bumpers for the ashtray and glove box door?

mine were wasted, dry rotted away ....typical for the dry climate here in Colorado's prarie desert.

Wow Rani, you aint no tortoise!! That dash frame is looking very, very nice!
Not much of an update here...:glasses7: maybe more tomorrow....:happy2:

I may have some extra bumpers that you are looking for....gonna cost ya though:poke: LOL!! J/k lemme do some diggin and see what me has... if anyone else has them. Chime in and/or pm Rani....hey I might not "win" but maybe Mr Congeniality???

BTW ...im not sure if we are allowed to share notes here ...but anyone where to get the little rubber bumpers for the ashtray and glove box door?

mine were wasted, dry rotted away ....typical for the dry climate here in Colorado's prarie desert.

Hey Rani, there is a large Mopar swap meet here in sunny Michigan in a couple weeks. There are a few companies there like PenStar Productions and R/T Specialties there that sell the bumpers in a small kit for a couple dollars. I'm planning on getting some for myself and will get you some too if you'd likey!! Geof

i been really lax on the dash build to give you guys a much needed head start J/K

today is my payday for the month so by monday my check will clear and i can buy the bezel.

so one week from today i will have gained some serious ground.

i worked on the frame today...(actually im working on it right now...break time)

i finished the valve cover gasket job and gave Natasha a much needed oil change. she is getting new spark plugs and cap and rotor this coming week too :cheers:
i hope you guys are not like rabbit racing the tortise.....i may be the tortise, but i am on the move :cheers:

Rani I have to say that your dash looks 10x better tan what it did. You got the guys on their toes now make them run LOL

The Show??? ........"THE GAUNTLET".......

The Contestants??? (so far),..."cosig" and his elf,..."Miss Rani" and her sidekick Mr. Vengsomethingsomething,....and "4spdragtop" and his trusty Kodak....

The Progress???,....Miss Rani is lookin pretty shiny,....cosig appears to be stuck in a vendor time warp,...and 4spdragtop (when he is not modeling), is busy with paint fumes,...

The Schwagg???,....See the pics below,The producers would like to apoligize for the picture quality,....(but hey, we are on a budget here)...

Total value of the prizes???,....Hell, almost 20 dollars american....

Tune in tomorrow for the latest episode of "THE GAUNTLET",....

Brought to you by Johnson and Johnson, makers of "Band Aid" brand bandages...

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• carparts 004.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 393
  • carparts 005.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 372
  • carparts 006.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 281
OK!! guys & dolls the prototype winner take all trophy has been completed-- it not only is a valuable trophy, but is a functional tool as well!!

Let me know what ye'all think.

not sure how to add lettering to commemorate the event-- suggestions welcome!!

Lawrence

And lets not forget about that beeeeeaaaaautiful trophy from VDart that is perfectly suitable for looking for Oreo particles in one's teeth,....(objects appear larger than they really are)...

James, I love the "commercial" for "The Gauntlet", its really gonna brings em' in from the garage for the show!! And the prizes look great, I personally would like to have those Cuda hubcaps, but I gotta win em' like everybody else!!!

Oh, to hoist that trophy, it'd be a lifelong dream come true!!! Geof

-
Back