My new home fabricated ram air

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to it. I've been thinking about this for a long time. I'm not sure I will get more high speed power or not, but I believe that the hood scoop pressurizes the engine compartment and minimizes the effectiveness of my electric fans. I hope to run cooler and get more power as well. I bought the heavy sheet steel at Menards, along with air conditioner insulation strips. The steel was $32.99 and the foam cost less than $4.00. I had to spend another $5.00 on blades for the jigsaw. I trimmed the ledge off an old air filter base to use on the bottom for support, then added another air filter base on top with the sheet steel sandwiched between. I riveted it all together. I took off my hood scoop and marked the sheet steel with it sitting on the carburetor. I added 2 1/2 inches to my marks and cut. After it was cut I took a coffee can at the forward tip and used it as a stencil to round the tip. I used a spray paint can as a stencil on the smaller edges. A little paint, a little weatherstrip adhesive, and a little trimming of the foam and I was done. Here are some pics.

View attachment Ram air fabrication.jpg

View attachment Ram air fabrication 1.jpg

View attachment Ram air fabrication 2.jpg

View attachment Ram air fabrication 3.jpg

View attachment Ram air fabrication 4.jpg

View attachment Ram air fabrication 5.jpg

View attachment Ram air fabrication 6.jpg

I may be biased since I just did the same thing but that looks sweet! Black paint is a nice touch, goes well with the valve covers.

IDK if it'll get the car going faster but it shod help keep it consistant due to constant cool air from outside rather than hot air from the engine compartment.
A fella did this a while back on his E-body Cuda. I do not believe the car went faster with this done on his twin scoop hood.

You mean like Super Man? In a single bound? LOL

Nice work.

From a physics standpoint, the "A body" scoop (I'm assuming the one in your sig), is actually one of the most effectively designed scoops ever offered on a production car. The boundry layer is accounted for and the holes are large enough.

The E body scoop doesn't account for the boundry layer (unless it's T/A scoop) and the openings are further back, somewhat lessening the "ram" effect.

It worked very well at keeping my engine temps down. They were a good 15 degrees cooler. The ram air seemed to work very well up until my hood scoop blew off from the pressure at 120 mph. I am not a happy guy. Now I have an ugly hole in my hood and a stupid velocity stack coming out of it.

View attachment blown off hood scoop.jpg

Oh Man!!:shock::pale::pale: 120 mph will pull things off that's for sure..
What does the hood scoop look like, let's find ya another :sad7:

The scoop didn't fly all the way off. The mounts mostly all pulled out. Any good ideas for repair of the threaded mounts?

Yes :cheers:......... Where the studs pulled out and damaged the holes that can be repaired easily with some new mounting bolts of your choice by just drilling and cleaning the area damaged, set your new studs in and let it harden
:thumblef:
:eek:ops: JB weld, or the new body a glue they have now, stronger then it was before :D

Should have used 200 MPH tape. Rookie mistake.

Just kidding. That sucks. Sorry to here. Can you fix it or is it destroyed? Are they fiberglass or plastic?

There are no studs. There are threaded holes. I had them repaired when I first installed the scoop. We used bumper glue and 1/4 - 20 threaded inserts. They worked for a year and a half. I re glued them in with JB weld and they held up to 120 mph. I am thinking of drilling a slightly larger hole, gluing in a threaded insert, then drilling through the bottom and pinning them in place. I need strength, and I want that scoop back on the car.

Your ram air worked too well.

Maybe some relief holes to allow some air into the engine compartment.

That will help with cooling as well.

That sucks the scoop blew off, maybe you can make some sort of spring loaded trap door in the baseplate you made to relieve some pressure on those 120+ MPH blasts!

I,m mounting my scoop soon. I,m gonna set it on the car and trace it on the hood. Then I will drill a dozen holes 1/2 inch in from the tracing marks thru the hood. Then i,m gonna realign the scoop inside my tracing and drill up thru the hood thru the holes into the scoop base so all my holes align.Then I will use 5/16 commode closet bolts with the wide flat head down thru the scoop flange and thru the hood. Nut and washers under the hood. I will gaurantee I wont blow it off as fast as I can go.Also thinking about a little dab of fiberglass epoxy resin under the bolt heads so they are fixed to the scoop when it dries.

That sucks the scoop blew off, maybe you can make some sort of spring loaded trap door in the baseplate you made to relieve some pressure on those 120+ MPH blasts!

I like the idea. I'll have to strap my wife under the hood while driving to make sure the spring pressure is right. Can't have it opening too soon or too late. I knew I'd find a use for her sooner or later.

-
Back