My new small block Mopar (not an A body)

-

polarman

Reaction score
So I picked me up another Mopar to tinker on a couple of months ago. She's a 1973 Winnebago Brave D-20 with a 318-3 on a Dodge M30 chassis. When I bought it the odometer showed 57,900 miles and it was in overall great shape for the year. It has an Onan 2500 generator, ice cold AC and a newer recirculating toilet. I have alot of faith in an old Mopar, so I bought it , slapped plates on it, checked the oil, and drove it 90 miles to get it home. Then I did a tune up and had to do some work on the fuel system to get things flowing properly. It seems that the previous owner, in an attempt to get fuel to the generator, replaced the fuel tank transfer switch with a fuel pump. That, in turn, caused it to empty the rear tank and overfill the front tank, pouring 89 octane fuel with lead addative out the filler and onto the ground.:vom: I moved the electric pump to supply fuel to the generator only, and just T'd the lines together to supply fuel to the engine. I'll get a transfer switch in it soon.
We used it to go on vacation to Old Forge and took it to a snowmobile watercross race. I love the looks I get when I'm driving this thing, it reminds me of the looks I used to get when I had the 68 Dart on the road.
011.jpg

010.jpg

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

I can't seem to find ANY info on the 318-3. All I know is that it has different thread for the spark plugs. If anyone has any info on these engines, or can tell me how they are different from a regular 318, I would love to know more....

I know this isn't the kind of thing that is usually on here. I have some work to do on it and would be glad to post pics of my progress IF THERE IS ANY INTEREST. If not, I will just let the topic die.

I bought a 360 engine from a 1979 winnebago, seems the plugs are the larger diameter theads (forget the size) but there not the usual diameter

It's in beautiful shape for 1973. My brother has a 1987 that dos'nt look have that good.

Attachments

• P7110053.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 407
I am interested in seeing what ya do with her.I think there great,my Dad bought on like yours years back,I installed carpet and vinyl flooring in it,it was a fun project to do with him.Ya let us know and how it goes.Only 1 problem I have there is no Dodge emblem on it anywhere,whatssssssssssssss up with that.

I like the Winn's my Grandfather always had them when I was growing up.Later on he moved up to the big Southwinds.I would like to have a shorty Winn.

Jim

The guy that rented a house off me had a 71, he did a small amount of work to it and has worked out great for him.
The only thing he said it is hard on fuel.

Also check everything, he bought his off an elderly gentleman for $1000.00
When his wife went to clean it up, she found $1500.00 cash stuffed in the drivers seat.
You never know.

My Folks had one of the big Southwinds with a 440 in it. A year of so after my Dad died in 84, my Mother decided to go on the road and bought a Dodge motorhome (based on the van). I drove it a few times and thought the 318 in it was underpowered for the size of the rig. Needed at least a 360, or better yet a big block.

The guy that rented a house off me had a 71, he did a small amount of work to it and has worked out great for him.
The only thing he said it is hard on fuel.

Also check everything, he bought his off an elderly gentleman for $1000.00
When his wife went to clean it up, she found $1500.00 cash stuffed in the drivers seat.
You never know.

I wish I could be so lucky. AS far as gas goes, it's not terrible for what it is. I have not checked the mileage because, heck, why depress myself. Generally speaking they usually get between 7 and 8 MPG with the 318, from what I've read. I might borrow the electronic ignition parts from the Dart and hope for 9 MPG. There's a lot of hills around here, so I don't expect much for MPG.
Speaking of hills, yes, it is terribly underpowered. I'm lucky to hold 40 mph going up hills, and some long steep grades drop me down below 30 mph. But, she always gets me there. (so far!)

Cool old motorhome....if funds would allow a fuel injected 360 would fix that thing right up!

Very Cool and a great buy. They were hard to find in NC when I lived there.

That thing is awesome! I remember many a winebago on the highway when I was just a kid,and pretty sure I saw one of these.

The 318_3 is a heavy duty truck version. I've seen several in 4X4's and the like. I dont think there is much difference from a regular 318.

I should make a small correction,as there are some sources that claim the -3 had moly rings,special valves etc. Im not sure if it is the heavy duty 318? That engine had an M in the vin #from 8-82 and an S from 83 to 88,and had a 4 bbl so probably not

I like it....Looks like fun.
I would park it at the beach, and you wouldnt see me for days !

Any interior pics ?

318-3 definantly had a forged steel crank, you see them for sale, ie "318-3 steel crank" and if it had a smaller spark plug thread , it may have enlarged water jackets that surrounded the plug for better cooling. If you travel alot and plan on putting a few thousand miles on it a year, you might consider a Cummins transplant. It may pay for itself in the long run with double the mileage and maybe a little cheaper per gallon on the highway. We rented a 440 powered poptop Dodge conversion van once and that thing hauled the bacon big time. We were passing cars on grades and my dad was giggling the whole time.

-
Back