My New Toy 1968 Barracuda Fastback Formula S

-
Is there a fender tag with a paint code? Looks like the same color as mine EE1.

You are wright it is EE1 and that's what it will be painted again. I removed the fender tag to start sanding it down, I want the engine compartment and the trunk area painted soon so I can install the engine and start putting the interior back together. I will save the suspension work for the winter time.

I have not had the time lately to play with the 68, but I did have some time today. I did get to play with the 1971 340 that's going in it. Installed the 68 timing cover, got the correct water pump on, and even got the oil pan back on, and oh yea the correct 1968 340 4bbl factory intake that member Ron RSie shipped to me. I have not gone through the carb yet but it will happen soon. I even changed the color from the 1971 orange to the 1968 red, boy am I a sick puppy. I just got done painting the motor mount brackets so they will go on next. Us guys up here in Michigan are running out of time for out side work, I am hoping to have the engine compartment and trunk area painted before winter so during the winter I can work on the suspension.
Bob

001.JPG

004.JPG

008.JPG

011.JPG

015.JPG

017.JPG

Well I was hoping to have the engine compartment painted by now but it still has not happened, just can't seem to find the time to start sanding it down and getting it ready. I have been picking up parts that I know I am going to need like this trans cross member that I got from barracudakid (eddie) I blasted and painted it so it's ready once it comes time to install the engine and trans. I also picked up a set of calipers since the ones on this car were seized up nasty looking. I still might get that engine compartment painted before the snow start's to fly but if not OH WELL. This winter I hope to get the suspension done.
Bob

041.JPG

042.JPG

044.JPG

045.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

Question the 1971 340 did not have the 90 degree oil filter adapter, but did the 1968 340 have one on it in the 1968 Barracuda?

340 engined A body cars from 68 on up that used the 68 style RH 340 exhaust manifold required an oil filter adaptor. The 73 up RH 340 exhaust manifold didnt require an oil filter adaptor.

Thank You for the info, this car will eventually get a set of headers when the time comes but it will also have the oil filter adapter on it.

My winter projects for the 68 include re-building the front suspension, re-building the A/C heater box, and re-building the dash. Since I have the whole front suspension off the 68 I made some arms out of scrap steel we had laying around the shop and I had some extra caster wheels to use up also this way I can roll it in and out of the garage. I also removed the face plate from the cluster and took it down to Romulus Michigan which is about an hour and a half away from me, there is a place down there called Vacume Orna-Metal that restores face plates. Frank the owner said I would have it back by the end of February or the first of March, he took me for a tour of his shop and there were all kinds of face plates there from just about every brand and they sure looked nice. I haven't started on the heater yet, that will happen after the holidays. Here are some pictures of the arms, had to shoot a little paint on them so they don,t rust when they dry I will put them on and take some pictures of how they look, also some pictures of my face plate, in pretty rough shape. When I get it back I will show you the before and after shots.

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

048.JPG

049.JPG

050.JPG

Last edited:
You made a good choice, Frank did the dash on my 69 cuda and it came out great! Even polished the gauge lens to look like new.

The weather was just perfect here in Michigan today, almost hit 50*. The sun was shining and I had some time to myself so out to the garage I went. I installed and tightened down the heater hose nipples and the by-pass hose nipples and installed the by-pass hose, put the choke on and put on the carb to see what it will look like, looks good to me. I even put the headers on they are just sitting on there not tightened down. I also had some time to push out the wheel studs and install the new rotors and the new wheel studs, I went with all right hand thread studs since both sides of the rears are right hand thread, oh yea I also put the 90* oil filter adapter on. I can't wait for spring so I can get that engine compartment sanded down and painted and get this motor and trans in.
Bob

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

012.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good!! I hope you guys have a mild enough winter! First official day of winter is tomorow!!! Just 3 months till spring.
If it gets cold enough here to see a skim of ice on a puddle, it is cold!! Winter is our good season here for many things.

No issues at all it went very smooth, I pressed out the old studs separated the hubs from the old rotors with the help of a big flat head screw driver, cleaned off the hubs inside and out and I used two deep well sockets to press the new studs in, one just big enough for the threaded part of the stud to fit in loosely and another one the same size as the back of the wheel stud and they went right in. I had the luxury of a nice hydraulic press at the shop to use so it was a piece of cake.

I've read/heard about issues if they are swedged?
No issues at all it went very smooth, I pressed out the old studs separated the hubs from the old rotors with the help of a big flat head screw driver, cleaned off the hubs inside and out and I used two deep well sockets to press the new studs in, one just big enough for the threaded part of the stud to fit in loosely and another one the same size as the back of the wheel stud and they went right in. I had the luxury of a nice hydraulic press at the shop to use so it was a piece of cake.

The weather was just perfect here in Michigan today, almost hit 50*. The sun was shining and I had some time to myself so out to the garage I went. I installed and tightened down the heater hose nipples and the by-pass hose nipples and installed the by-pass hose, put the choke on and put on the carb to see what it will look like, looks good to me. I even put the headers on they are just sitting on there not tightened down. I also had some time to push out the wheel studs and install the new rotors and the new wheel studs, I went with all right hand thread studs since both sides of the rears are right hand thread, oh yea I also put the 90* oil filter adapter on. I can't wait for spring so I can get that engine compartment sanded down and painted and get this motor and trans in.
Bob

View attachment 1715440873

View attachment 1715440874

View attachment 1715440875

View attachment 1715440876

View attachment 1715440877

View attachment 1715440878
That 340 looks awesome!

First garage floor that I`ve seen that was worse than mine !!

After further review , may not be as bad as mine was.
I came up with some cement repair stuff , called "bellzona'' to fill the cleaned out cracks ,epoxy type stuff that is way the hell stouter than concrete. Then came up with some old floor and machinery paint that was going to be thrown away . Best thing I`ve done to my garage !

-
Back