My New Toy 1968 Barracuda Fastback Formula S

-
I had a whole day to my self today, well me and the 68 anyway. I installed the heater box, got both the inner fender wells wire wheeled down along with the lower frame rails and the trans tunnel. Then I shot some under coating on, installed the K frame and it was time for the 340 and the 727 to sit in place. Not bad for a days work, it will be moving under it's own power this year. Boy I just love these kind of day's, don't you.

106.JPG

107.JPG

110.JPG

111.JPG

112.JPG

113.JPG

116.JPG

117.JPG

I like those a lot better than chasing down electrical problems. That's what I'm doin.

Had some more time today so I put on a few of the accessories that I collected through the winter, it's starting to look like an engine compartment again.

119.JPG

120.JPG

121.JPG

122.JPG

Had some more fun today. Put the headers in, just sitting in there to see if I need to change anything and I need to grind down a small area of the engine to trans brace it's just touching the passenger side header. Also started to put some of the front suspension back together.

123.JPG

124.JPG

125.JPG

126.JPG

127.JPG

128.JPG

129.JPG

130.JPG

131.JPG

132.JPG

That spindle looks like it needs a shot of paint or powder coat; a tad out of place with those sexy control arms.

Usps dropped these off to me the other day, I sent them to Guadalajara Mexico to a guy by the name of Rene Garcia. He is a member over on Facebook's Fish tales owners and he is always showing off his work on Barracuda trim, so I decided to take a chance and ship my grill surrounds and headlight buckets to him. The whole process took about six months from the time I sent them to him, early December 2020 and the time they were returned to me, May 2021. They do not anodize them, they polish them up and they look great. I am very happy with his work, I have about a total of $700.00 tied up in this project that includes shipping from Michigan to Guadalajara Mexico and return shipping from Guadalajara Mexico back to Michigan. Here are a few pictures of before and after, ENJOY!!!

001.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

I haven't shown any pictures of the 68 in a while but the drive train is all done and it is up and running. The exhaust is done, all stainless with stainless tips. the fenders are done along with the hood and the deck lid. I have been collecting parts this winter and have just about everything that I need except the front wind shield gasket. I am working on the doors right now, the passenger side is all done and the inside of the door is cut in, just trying to finish up the drivers side so when the weather changes around here I can get them on. Runs great and sounds strong, my neighbors were really loving it before I did the exhaust. Hoping the weather changes soon I want to get it in for the front end alignment. Here are a few of the newer ones.

IMG_1346.JPG

134.JPG

178.JPG

182.jpg

184.JPG

186.JPG

191.JPG

Usps dropped these off to me the other day, I sent them to Guadalajara Mexico to a guy by the name of Rene Garcia. He is a member over on Facebook's Fish tales owners and he is always showing off his work on Barracuda trim, so I decided to take a chance and ship my grill surrounds and headlight buckets to him. The whole process took about six months from the time I sent them to him, early December 2020 and the time they were returned to me, May 2021. They do not anodize them, they polish them up and they look great. I am very happy with his work, I have about a total of $700.00 tied up in this project that includes shipping from Michigan to Guadalajara Mexico and return shipping from Guadalajara Mexico back to Michigan. Here are a few pictures of before and after, ENJOY!!!

View attachment 1715742645

View attachment 1715742647

View attachment 1715742648

View attachment 1715742649
I've seen his work and it is sweet !

I have been working on the 68 a little but have not posted any pictures lately. The head liner is in, the doors are done and cut in, the tops of the fenders and the door jams are painted along with the head light bucket area. I am hoping to put the doors back on this weekend, install the sound deadener and get the carpet back in and install the console and front seats. We'll see, most of the time the Grand Kids have different plans for me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

199.JPG

200.JPG

202.JPG

207.JPG

211.JPG

208.JPG

210.JPG

218.JPG

It's been a year since I posted anything on my 68 and I have had some time to play with it just have not posted any pictures. The doors are on, the carpet has been installed along with the seats front and back and the console. All the body work other than the quarters have been done and that is next on the list. I have cut off the bad sections of the lower quarters to match the new patch panels and they have been welded on. I need to do some more grinding on the seams, but I am very happy with the way they came out. I still have a month or two up here in Michigan to get this ready for paint and painted so it can sit and harden all winter long and be ready for wet sanding next spring. We'll see.

222.JPG

230.JPG

229.JPG

233.JPG

246.JPG

247.JPG

248.JPG

nice work on the 1/4's there, won't need more than a quick skim of filler to blend them in.
re the paint hardening, after being told by a full time painter friend i always flat and polish the day after painting when using 2k. it's still not fully hard so it'll flat nicely rather than trying to sand concrete. this is because it hardens over the few days after spraying, unlike the old no hardener paints. leave it to harden was correct for those older paints, but have you ever seen any modern body shops store a car after paint so it can harden before sanding/polishing? no? because they don't, it's not needed with 2k.
up to you of course, but i'm not a fan of making things hard for myself. look at it another way, if you polish after paint you now have all winter for reassembly. better than looking at fresh paint all winter, lol.
neil.

Just to encourage you, here is a shot of my finder after paint. Actually a Selfie as the reflection is perfect.

20230918_145249[1].jpg

I have had my '68 FB FS for 54 years now. Hope you enjoy it for that long too.

Put a little Duraglas on both sides at the seams and all the weld spots to seal them up nice and tight, then ground them down and did a little blocking. Looks like real nice weather this week here in Michigan so I will try and finish up the rest of the body work and get it in primer.

IMG_3966.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

-
Back