My New Toy 1968 Barracuda Fastback Formula S

-
No that is the original dash bezel that I had restored by Vacuum-Orna Metal in Romulus Michigan before and after pics. same bezel

048.JPG

049.JPG

072.JPG

073.JPG

Thanks, the owner at that time gave me a tour of his shop when I dropped it off. There were hundreds of bezels all over the place from all makes and models, some already done, some in the process, and lots still waiting to be worked on. What a cool place to see

Thanks, the owner at that time gave me a tour of his shop when I dropped it off. There were hundreds of bezels all over the place from all makes and models, some already done, some in the process, and lots still waiting to be worked on. What a cool place to see
How much did that cost ?

Damn that looks good.. and they are local... my '62 could use that.. the bezel has the normal wear

It was like a midsummer day here in Michigan yesterday, in the 70's so I took advantage of the warmth called my buddy Eric who is a glass install guy and we put in the new windshield and the back glass. The back glass was still the factory original oem glass that I took out along with the factory original gasket, only thing new there were the molding clips. The front windshield was new along with a new gasket and molding clips also. Everything fit great, I bought the front windshield gasket and the front and rear molding clips from DMT and everything went smooth no adjustments needed. So for those of you who are looking to buy those parts DMT's are a good buy, they fit well. Here are a few pictures, it's getting there and hope to be able to cruise this summer.

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

It was like a midsummer day here in Michigan yesterday, in the 70's so I took advantage of the warmth called my buddy Eric who is a glass install guy and we put in the new windshield and the back glass. The back glass was still the factory original oem glass that I took out along with the factory original gasket, only thing new there were the molding clips. The front windshield was new along with a new gasket and molding clips also. Everything fit great, I bought the front windshield gasket and the front and rear molding clips from DMT and everything went smooth no adjustments needed. So for those of you who are looking to buy those parts DMT's are a good buy, they fit well. Here are a few pictures, it's getting there and hope to be able to cruise this summer.

View attachment 1716221296

View attachment 1716221297

View attachment 1716221298

View attachment 1716221299

View attachment 1716221300

View attachment 1716221301

View attachment 1716221302

View attachment 1716221303
That looks awesome. Do you happen to know what sealant your buddy used?

I installed windshield in my '69 myself since all the shops said they didnt want to work on old car and a host of other excuses. New gasket, zero sealant, zero leaks, not one drop of water gets in. There are drains in bottom of windshield channel, one on each side, so any water that gets in channel flows into cowl. Most of time those drains are filled with sealant from previous hack installs. So if you fill drains with sealant water can't drain which means better have a ton of sealant cause its gonna flow into car otherwise. I didn't have any rust in channel so that helps too.

I installed windshield in my '69 myself since all the shops said they didnt want to work on old car and a host of other excuses. New gasket, zero sealant, zero leaks, not one drop of water gets in. There are drains in bottom of windshield channel, one on each side, so any water that gets in channel flows into cowl. Most of time those drains are filled with sealant from previous hack installs. So if you fill drains with sealant water can't drain which means better have a ton of sealant cause its gonna flow into car otherwise. I didn't have any rust in channel so that helps too.
My installer (who does this all day on these old gals) also didnt use any sealant. He said it wasn't necessary. I am still skeptical. I am still buttoning up the resto and havent gotten it out in the rain or washed it yet.... He said he stands behind his install and would happily address any issues should they arise.

I'm very happy for you guys who don't use sealer, you saved $12.00. This same sealant was used on my 66 Barracuda and 14 years later still no leaks and I don't expect the new owner of the car to ever have any leaks either. It's a small fee for insurance and a good time to install it when you are putting the glass back in, I will always use it when my glass goes back in. I wonder why there is sealant in the gaskets and on the edge of the glass when you remove them from the car?

I'm very happy for you guys who don't use sealer, you saved $12.00. This same sealant was used on my 66 Barracuda and 14 years later still no leaks and I don't expect the new owner of the car to ever have any leaks either. It's a small fee for insurance and a good time to install it when you are putting the glass back in, I will always use it when my glass goes back in. I wonder why there is sealant in the gaskets and on the edge of the glass when you remove them from the car?
It wasn't about saving money...lord knows I've spent enough on this build.... I am in the "use sealant" camp since the factory did. You can bet I will be looking for leaks when the time comes and if there is an issue, I will be calling my installer right away.

Didnt mean to hijack your thread either. The bezel looks great. I used that company to restore my bezel and dash trim too but I don't have those awesome ralleye gages.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, that's what makes this hobby so great. Everyone has their own car and they can do whatever and however they want with it, but I am a firm believer of do it once and do it right and I sure don't want to have it yanked out again because of a problem. I hope yours doesn't leak or anyone else's for that matter, if you are like I am I just want to keep moving along.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, that's what makes this hobby so great. Everyone has their own car and they can do whatever and however they want with it, but I am a firm believer of do it once and do it right and I sure don't want to have it yanked out again because of a problem. I hope yours doesn't leak or anyone else's for that matter, if you are like I am I just want to keep moving along.
My windshield been in for 20 years and I washed it few times recently no carpet in car no heat/ac under dash bone dry not one drop. Wasn't looking to save money on sealant or half *** either. I looked at channel drains looked at how smooth my channel was new rubber seal soft pliable didn't see any need for any sealant. Got lucky it worked for me. I am sure your glass guy who does it every day knows way more then me ect ect ect...

My installer (who does this all day on these old gals) also didnt use any sealant. He said it wasn't necessary. I am still skeptical. I am still buttoning up the resto and havent gotten it out in the rain or washed it yet.... He said he stands behind his install and would happily address any issues should they arise.
Run a hose over car pull carpet back trust but verify.....

-
Back