My new toy for this winter 1974 Scamp

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
Well now that my 66 barracuda is done I did not have a project for this winter, and I surly don't want to sit on the couch all winter and watch NCIS. So here is my new winter project, I picked up a 1974 Plymouth Scamp. Interior is almost perfect, there is no rust out anywhere, it has a few door dings and a couple of small dents. Bumpers are in great shape, glass is all good, the last owner removed the white vinyl top and the car needs paint. Can't decide if I am going to put my 318 in it or put the 340 that came with it in it. It is a disc brake, large bolt pattern, AC car, and everything seems to be here except the exhaust manifolds and the starter. First things first I am going to strip the engine compartment and re paint it the original color, then figure out what motor is going in it, and then get it running so by next spring it will be ready for paint. I almost turned this one down but something kept telling me to go back and get it, and now I am glad I did.
Bob

View attachment 058.jpg

View attachment 059.jpg

View attachment 050.jpg

View attachment 051.jpg

View attachment 052.jpg

View attachment 053.jpg

View attachment 054.jpg

View attachment 055.jpg

View attachment 056.jpg

View attachment 057.jpg

Good choice in not turning it down Bob.
You are almost there, and you've barely started!

Thanks, you know this is going to be such a different project than the barracuda was. I do not have to replace floor pans, trunk pans, quarter panels, no rust repair to be done just some door dings and small dents put in the drive train, get it painted and go. Wow now I know I'm getting old, I used to love doing that kind of stuff, now I'm looking for the easier projects. This car only has 46,000 original miles on it, and the interior and body shows it.
Bob

Playing with the Scamp a little. Trying to beet the cold and get the door jams and engine compartment painted. So far so good I am going to shoot some clear tonight, let it set and then start putting some parts back on over the winter. Hope to have it running and ready for paint by spring.
Bob

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 782
  • 035.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 749
  • 034.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 752
  • 033.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 751
  • 032.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 760
  • 031.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 755
  • 030.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 787
  • 029.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 746
  • 025.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 816
If anybody has a 1974 Scamp with a 318 and air, I could use a couple off good pictures of the wiring harnesses in your engine compartment, the way they rout and also where they are clipped. I have some wires between the fire wall and the washer bottle I am not sure about, I think they are for the horn relay but would like to know for sure. If you can help just take some good pictures and post them in this thread. Also some good pictures of your battery tray area would help.
Thanks
Bob

View attachment 038.jpg

I wish I could help with pictures Bob , I am moving in the same direction with my 66 Valiant.
I just got it in my shop to be disassembled for engine compartment paint and fender replacement :color:
Looking at this thread makes me want to get my fire wall ready :)
Looking good by the way . If I run across a couple pictures here in other threads I will let you know.

Subscriber here :cheers:

Thanks Mike, I kinda know where most of it goes but when I picked up this car a lot of it came in boxes. I'm sure I will figure it all out just thought a few pictures would go a long way.
Thanks again and good luck with yours.
Bob

That is the plan if these old bones of mine allow me to put up with the cold. I just can't seem to deal with the cold like I used to, I wanted to put the new dash vents in today but just could not get rid of this Michigan chill. I am hoping to at least have it running by spring, then I can take my time and get it painted. No big hurry I still have the 66 to drive around.
Bob

I had a little time to play with the Scamp today before I got so cold my fingers would not even bend. Here is what I have gotten done to the engine compartment so far. I have also got a lot of the small parts all cleaned up and ready for paint including all the bolts, and the passenger side door is all finished, primed and cut in. I hope to put the door on and get it built back up next week. Next is the passenger side fender, I'm doing a little bit at a time but I hope it is ready for paint by next spring.
Bob

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 645
  • 046.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 615
  • 045.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 617
Do you still need pics? I have a 75 all original with air. Let me know.

OK there is a grommet in the fire wall just left of the brake booster that has two holes in it one bigger than the other, I think this is where the washer hoses go in, water supply in through the bigger hole and out smaller hole to squirters out. What kind of connection is made inside the fire wall if this is what this grommet is for and what does it look like. Also just above the ballast resistor a little to the right are two off set holes in the fire wall, is there some kind of relay that goes there, if so if any one has a picture of it please show it and what it is used for.
Thanks
Bob

Nice out today, lots of sun shine so I got to play with the Scamp a little. Put the new front shocks on, new front brake hoses, got the rotors turned, re packed the bearings, and bled the brakes all the way around. Brake pads looked like brand new so I cleaned them up, sprayed some brake quiet on the backs and put them back in. Just one more little step done.
Bob

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 508
  • 051.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 462
  • 050.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 049.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 499
  • 048.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 541
awsome car fpr a project. do you know any of the moors in clarkston? welcome to the site from ct

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 499
I'm sorry I haven't got pics yet. Will try this weekend.

Your Scamp is looking good so far. Can't wait to see it painted up nice and pretty. Wish I had your front buckets for mine tho :)
Jim

Attachments

• 1795683_10154525727710437_6617073181246243073_n.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 442
  • 00I0I_8KzOYB0yiOo_600x450.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 442
I couldn't take it anymore, it's been so damn cold here in Michigan but cold or not I had to go out and play with the Scamp a little today. So I was able to get the passenger side door on and lined up, and also got the passenger side fender hung. Everything lined up real nice and the door opens and closes real good, I had some help from a body guy that I know who popped over just to shoot the **** today. Working on the drivers side door and fender now , hope to have them ready to go on in a couple of weeks.
Bob

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 414
  • 055.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 402
  • 054.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 405
  • 053.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 405
Hope the pics of the engine help out. Sorry it took me so long. Car looks great.

Those pictures did help out. Thank You for sending them to me, and Thanks I hope to have it looking a lot better and driving by the middle of the summer.
Bob

Had some time to play with the Scamp today, even made a little progress. The 318 that was in the 66 Barracuda got pulled out a couple of weeks ago and put on the stand so I could de-66 273 it and bring it back to a 74 318. By that I mean I pulled off the oil pan and I changed the timing chain cover the water pump the balancer and the intake manifold. Then it got a fresh paint job, voila now it is ready to go into the 74 Scamp. I am a little behind where I wanted to be by this time but it is getting there. I know it will be running soon but it looks like the paint work might have to wait until next spring. I have a son who's getting married in my back yard on the 15th of August, so a lot of my time this year has been devoted to getting ready for that. After the wedding look out I will have all the time in the world to work on this car. Also there is a wire harness that comes out of the fire wall just behind the booster and has two wire ends on it look at the last picture? Can anyone tell me where those two wires go to.
Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 322
  • 068.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 305
  • 067.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 322
  • 066.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 065.jpg