My non-MOPAR project

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Ok, throw the jokes at me, I know they are coming. I am about to start having some fun with a non-mopar.

The low-down: Some of you know that lately I've been selling some parts to get a down payment on a house. With your help, I did it. It is perfect for my family (my 3 kids, her 2 kids, and our baby). But...no garage. Large yard, so a large garage will come next year. Until then, my 1973 Dart Sport 340 and most of the parts are going into storage. I kept what I could for it, I'll have to put together another top end for it, etc. That will come later.

For now, I have something I can keep outside, still have something that looks cool, and will run ok--I hope! Its a 1968 Chevy C10 shortbed/stepside. I've had it for a while, I have yet to drive it though. Its a straight 6/3 on the tree, 12-bolt 3.73. Its a little rough around the edges, but its something I can practice my welding on! I picked up a few parts a long time ago, like a dash pad, cluster with gauges, etc. Someone had painted it a...different...color of blue, with the interior being red. They also put some...different...bucket seats out of a later model car. So, it will be my rat rod.

I won't worry about how much it rusts being outside, or how original it is. It has a few things that will keep the value down, so I'm just going to have fun with it.

My plans:
--I have a 1973 400 sbc that I have all kinds of parts I've accumulated CHEAP to hopefully make it run decent. Stock bottom end, new bearings/rings (it was low mileage and nice). New hv oil pump/pickup, used crane energizer 284/.480 cam, new lifters, springs, timing set. Heads from a mid-80's HO 305 with 58cc chambers that I'll port etc and hopefully get my compression to 9-9.5. Edelbrock RPM intake, Holley 670 street avenger, headers.
--I have a good TH350 that I'll probably just clean up and replace the seals, maybe a shift kit or something.
--I have a complete front suspension from a late 70's van with disc brakes that I'll rebuild and install.
--After the drivetrain/brakes/steering, I want to drop it as low as I can afford to go. Maybe 3/5 f/r.
--I have a few other things that may go on it, like an old Mallory memory/shift light tach, some Keystone Klassics to go with an old school look/feel and because I have them.

So throw the Chevy stuff at me, I'm prepared lol. But, its something for me and my boy to work on for now, and I just have to have something. If it is too nice, I won't want to let it sit outside. So a Rat Rod it is!

Want to see some pics? lol

show us some pics!!

and I challenge you to a race dear sir! LMAO! I highly doubt my 318 would be as quick.

btw, if you don't want that Mallory tach, I will gladly take it off your hands lol. :toothy10: If you end up deciding on another tach later on, let me know because I have been looking for one of those for my truck. Always thought they were way cool

will do! I haven't hooked it up yet to see if it works, but I'll let you know. It looks pretty cool tho! I had a 74' D100 a few years ago, I REALLY wish I hadn't sold it. 360/727, basically same mods as yours, factory paint, aluminum slots. Kick myself for that one.

Here are a few pics from when I first got the truck...fugly...

402.jpg

404.jpg

I wish I could find some Ansen slots for my truck in 8-9" wide. and my truck used to have a 360 but its long gone now. and I think I fried my tach, it started smoking one day when my negative wire fell of the terminal. whoops. lol

and you got a pretty good deal on that truck. not bad at all

Cool man, no one can really talk crap about that body style, one of the best. My first rod was a 67' longbox 4x4, gun metal grey GMC.

Thanks!! I had $13 in paint thinner, and $10 in paint. I used a little detail gun, sprayed it outside. I am really happy with how it turned out, and I can touch it up at any time.

What do you guys think of the seats? Should I leave them? They are comfy and a lot easier on my back than a stock bench, but they look...wrong. I thought of building a bottom frame from some angle, and raising them off the floor, using some old seats I have laying around to make a buddy seat, then letting a friend recover it and get rid of the headrests.

My next non A Body project ..... is pretty cool ...

Attachments

• Dennis's Truck.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 210
I would love have a truck like that, even just a stepside and not a little red! I have been itching to do a truck, and a rat rod, so when I saw mine for sale I couldn't stop thinking about it. For over a month I drove past it and thought "man, how cool would that be?". Finally, I took my fiancé to look at it, hoping she would shoot it down. She told me to get it! Said it was more "me". Just now kind of realizing she may be right. Although, I still think I look better in my a-bodies lol.

nice truck and yes i am the black sheep of my family they all worked for GM.

Thanks again for the compliments! I had no idea these trucks where so widely liked. Btw, oldtiredrebel, no trading... Yet.... I'm going to try to keep this one long enough to see what I can wring out of the 400! Lol. Next week my mind may have changed, I seem to have the attention span of a gnat.

I've done a few mods already, other than the paint, but no pics of them yet. Relocating the backup lights and moving the brake lights down, made my own rear light harness as the original was butchered. Difference stereo, in the middle of restoring the factory steering wheel. Just little stuff.

-
Back