My old 84 Pu

-

Bigdummy

Not a Nova
Reaction score
Haven't seen it in 4 years.I get a call from my insurance co about a claim for a accident May 3rd.Supposedly someone run somebody off the road.My insurance company asked if I had a bill of sale.I told them after 4 years and no tag notice in the mail figured the title had been changed over.They are telling people that is filing the bad news.

We'll I guess the law varies state to state. Here if you never transferred the title you would be on the hook.

Wow...thats scary! I can't begin to tell you the number of vehicles I have sold.

This is why I like the way Idaho does things. It DOES LOL of course cost you money.

Here when you sell a car you keep your plates. End of story.

You are also supposed to tear off the bottom of the title and mail it in, indicating you sold it. Of course they want a 'phee' for this, I think it's 3 bucks

But even removing your plates stops about 90% of this nonsense of wrecks, illegal use charged to you, or even overdue parking tickets

This is also why I get so upset when people have vehicles for cars and "no title." REALLY? WHY NOT? Usually, it's because "es' not your car," IE it belongs to a finance co. somewhere or "that divorced ex wife" 'n so on.

This is why I like the way Idaho does things. It DOES LOL of course cost you money.

Here when you sell a car you keep your plates. End of story.

WHen I lived in Jersey, we did the same thing, kept the plates.

When I moved to Georgia, nearly 30 years ago, it was a little different. The plates stayed with the vehicle, and I can't tell you how many times buyers would simply not re-register the vehicle, until the tags on the plates, expired.

That's been changed about 15 years ago, or so... Now, the plates belong to you, not the vehicle. It's made things so much better.

Around here, you keep your plates.

If you sell the car and he doesn't follow through with the registration, then blows red light cameras, you will be responsible for the fine. $100 per violation...

I take my plates....

Here in NY you have to have insurance in order to get plates. You sell a car, why are you going to continue to hold insurance on it? Insurance gets dumped (or transferred) and the plates get dumped (or transferred). New owner has to get his own insurance, his own plates, and in doing so, has to get the title transferred.

Oklahoma is still backwards since the plate goes with the car. Low life's buy cars with good plates and drive them until they expire. Most have no insurance or driver's license.

Oklahoma is still backwards since the plate goes with the car. Low life's buy cars with good plates and drive them until they expire. Most have no insurance or driver's license.

Yep, that how it used to be, here. I'm very happy Georgia changed that policy.

Here in NY you have to have insurance in order to get plates. You sell a car, why are you going to continue to hold insurance on it? Insurance gets dumped (or transferred) and the plates get dumped (or transferred). New owner has to get his own insurance, his own plates, and in doing so, has to get the title transferred.

This is how it is in MT as well....of course there is nothing stopping someone from dropping the insurance after the title/plates are issued...

Back when I still lived in Louisiana, I sold a W100 and a year later got a call from a store owner an hour away. The "new owner" left it at a store and the owner got my name as the registered owner from his brother at the state police. I went and towed the truck home and finally got in touch with the guy I sold it to. He didn't want to pay me for towing it or come and get it with a tow truck. After I changed the ballast resistor(with the one from the truck's glove box) I tried to update the plate. The DMV had record of the truck being sold and wouldn't let me renew the plate! I finally sold it for parts.

This is how it is in MT as well....of course there is nothing stopping someone from dropping the insurance after the title/plates are issued...

In Georgia, your insurance agent ( or insurance company) is charged with notifying the state of the VIN and tag numbers of a given vehicle if the insurance is dropped. The state then notifies the last known owner/insurer, and requests an updated policy number, or cancels the plates.

It's a fail safe, but I don't know how effective or accurate it is. Seems to work, though.

In NY you technically have to also get the car re-inspected when it changes owners, unless its from a registered dealer. They aren't as strict about that though. If you don't have a valid yearly safety inspection on file in Albany (capital) then they will not allow you to renew registrations either.

For cars 25 model years or older the inspection fee is $10 and is only safety. If you have a car newer than that you have to do safety and emissions. 96+ have to plug in and pass OBDII diagnostics and those are $21.

I don't like all of the regulations, but I do like that vehicles are at least looked over every year to prevent accidents from neglect.

In Texas when you sell a vehicle it is a good practice to meet the person at the Title office to transfer it. But there is a form that you can submit to tell the DMV that it no longer your vehicle. I traded in a Intrepid to a Lincoln dealer in Dallas they sold it at auction...went to a tote the note place and next thing I know it's in an accident on the way to Mexico. Boy was I pissed at the dealer. Found out about the transfer of title form.

Here is a link to what I am talking about.

https://vision21.dot.state.tx.us/Vehicle/MainTransferNotification.aspx

My God that law is retarded! In NY you cannot register a vehicle without insurance. Plain and simple. If you get pulled over without insurance you get fined up the poop chute EVERY DAY that you have been uninsured and registered. You cannot cancel insurance unless you have a form from the DMV that says you turned in the plates.

Doesn't matter how much money you have in the bank, it's all the same.

In Georgia, your insurance agent ( or insurance company) is charged with notifying the state of the VIN and tag numbers of a given vehicle if the insurance is dropped. The state then notifies the last known owner/insurer, and requests an updated policy number, or cancels the plates.

It's a fail safe, but I don't know how effective or accurate it is. Seems to work, though.

Same here in NY. If you fail to pay your insurance then the company notifies the DMV. You then have 30 days to show new insurance or your plates are cancelled. If you don't turn in your plates then they suspend your driver license equal to number of days it takes to surrender your plates.

You just can't cancel your policy. You have to surrender your plates first, then send the receipt to your agent to drop coverage.

My God that law is retarded! In NY you cannot register a vehicle without insurance. Plain and simple. If you get pulled over without insurance you get fined up the poop chute EVERY DAY that you have been uninsured and registered. You cannot cancel insurance unless you have a form from the DMV that says you turned in the plates.

Doesn't matter how much money you have in the bank, it's all the same.

To issue a temporary plate that includes insurance if they are caught just rewards the law breakers.

I just shook my head when that came out. To me they should give a ticket and impound the car as a minimum.

-
Back