My other Early A ---65 Dart post

-
Rare factory option for early a body? Trunk lock scuff plate. Haha

Im guessing thats what its supposed to be. There's no holes under it.

Attachments

• CAM00238.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 564
Your project looks good, Tim. I didn't know that you had a 65 Dart that you were working on. I still have the 65 Convertible that I got from Georgia, but have lost interest in it. I am more interested in the 65 Plymouths. I just haven't had the ambition to work on much lately. You are giving me some, though. :) Keep up the good work.

Hey thanx Rob. Haven't got much acomplished lately but its on my mind. Hopefully gonna get some new leaf spring bushings n shocks soon. Too cold for body work so maybe Ill just tackle some sheet metal repair.

Still not a whole lot getting done. Rain,cold weather, life obligations . Blah.
I did finally get the rear differential swapped out with the one that matches my 67 engine n trans. My v8 diff was howling and had the wrong gear set for the speedometer to be accurate. Also now using 9 inch rear drums which I believe are still available at the parts stores while the 10 inch ones are getting hard to find with the small bolt pattern.

Been super busy. Alot of studying for my ASE testing. I got 5 tests passed and out of my way now. 3 more to go in April \ May. Figured time to do something on the dart so started stripping the trunk lid since its off the car. I was thinking it was very straight but I did uncover some bondo. No big deal. Just a few sall dents in between the taillights.

Attachments

• CAM00277.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 499
Okay....trunk lid is bare. Welded up all the trim holes since I dont have any good looking trim to put on. Plus now there will be less holes in it for moisture to creep in and rust away at the lower edge like the previous one on the car.

Attachments

• CAM00280.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 493
Hey Tim.
Looking good. I sold my 65 Dart convertible and picked up a 65 Valiant convertible instead. I haven't done much with it because of the cold, but it needs intensive work. It is my 4th 65 Valiant. I have a 4 door, 2 Signets (one very rusty) and the vert. All need work. I also have a 65 Barracuda. Luv the 65 Plymouths.
Rob

Hey Tim.
Looking good. I sold my 65 Dart convertible and picked up a 65 Valiant convertible instead. I haven't done much with it because of the cold, but it needs intensive work. It is my 4th 65 Valiant. I have a 4 door, 2 Signets (one very rusty) and the vert. All need work. I also have a 65 Barracuda. Luv the 65 Plymouths.
Rob

Well hurry up and move back to Florida so we can go cruising ;-)

Transmission shifts well but way too early and car is overall very slow. I had checked the kickdown rod several times yet never bothered to check the throttle opening. The previous owner had installed a later model accelerator pedal which bottoms out on the floorboards before the carb is fully open. So I've been driving around with only half throttle. I removed the pedal assembly and stuck it in the bench vise to bend it a bit and its closer but not quite 100% just yet.

Attachments

• CAM00283.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 473
I had started to cut out the rust holes at the top of the passenger fender. Figured I could make some basic patches. Unfortunately the fender is pretty beat up and Im not sure if my limited body work skills can get it straight. There's enough metal left at the bottom where it bolts to the body for me to see the basic shape but the metal is full of pin holes. The wheel well lip is twisted and someone already tried to beat it back and filled it with bondo

Attachments

• CAM00285.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 455
  • CAM00284.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 469
  • CAM00286.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 475
Keeping this build going and I have been enjoying watching the work you are doing :cheers: but I must admit it is making this ol guy feel older :coffee2: Keep up the great job you are doing, good move on the breather by the way :glasses7:

Keeping this build going and I have been enjoying watching the work you are doing :cheers: but I must admit it is making this ol guy feel older :coffee2: Keep up the great job you are doing, good move on the breather by the way :glasses7:

Thanx Mike. Im glad u like it. Wish I had a lot more time/ funds to give the car a full resto but for right now its just fun to tinker with and still cruise around. It turns alot of heads and gets lots of thumbs up. Everyone raves of the legendary leaning tower of power.

Driver side fender is in much better condition. Fairly straight as far as I can tell but a few rusted out areas to weld patches.

Attachments

• CAM00294.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 447
Looks like a shinny new nickel from here :glasses7: :thumrigh:

Welded in the patch for the window channel. Not the prettiest, but will be mostly covered by the chrome trim around the window

Attachments

• CAM00298.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 416
New shocks are on the way. Ordered a set of KYB . Also have a pair of new leaf spring shackles and bushings. Trying something different with the front leaf spring brackets . Bucket of hot water and wood bleach (oxalic acid). Been soaking all day and slowly loosening the rust. Its cheap at the harware store so figured give it a chance. Its definitely working. Changes color from dark brown rust to a burnt orange. Helps to take them out once in a while and chip off chunks. Not a good idea to get any of the fluid on your skin.

Attachments

• CAM00299.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 386
  • CAM00305.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 394
Swapping out front shocks. They're definitely worn out . Hoping the new ones wont be too stiff since I didn't see a different part number for slant 6 versus v8.

Attachments

• CAM00306.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 368
Here's the bucket of sauce soaking the brackets. Been a full week and almost rust free. It loosens paint but wont remove it without scraping. Takes longer than the ospho or evaporust but much cheaper.

Attachments

• CAM00308.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 351
  • CAM00307.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 373
Here's the rr wheel well arch. Using a small piece of paper board as a template. Cut a small piece to fit. Weld and grind.

Attachments

• CAM00310.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 366
  • CAM00312.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 411
  • CAM00315.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 373
Another wheel arch patch. This one had more of a curve so I used a round bar to shape it a bit.

Attachments

• CAM00309.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 334
  • CAM00318.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 332
  • CAM00317.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 340
  • CAM00316.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 330
Heres the driver side quarter panel where it meets the door. Small hole on the outside but it looks like it rusted from the inside out. With the rear window and regulator assembly removed Ive been spraying the rusty area with ospho and since it thin like water its just running down and escaping through the drain hole that goes into the rocker panel and then out onto the ground. I used my cordless drill to open up the drain hole just enough to get a rubber plug into it. Now when I spray it with ospho it puddles up inside and can keep working at the rust instead of just leaking all over the ground. Ive got an old windshield washer pump and jug to fill with the ospho and was planning to use a small hose with multiple small holes to stuff up in around the wheelwells and just let it spray for a while.

Attachments

• CAM00320.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 329
  • CAM00322.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 303
  • CAM00323.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 305
Got the leaf spring brackets and shackles cleaned up and sprayed with duplicolor bedliner.

Attachments

• CAM00330.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 305
Looking forward to swapping out rear leaf springs with new bushings. The front shocks feel great and made a huge difference in ride quality. The leaf springs are not new but came out of the same low mileage car as the engine trans combo. Should hopefully be better than the severely worn leafs on the car now. Ive been waiting for the spray bomb bedliner on the brackets to harden up a bit more. I must have put it on too thick or not enough time between coats. Had them out hanging in direct sunlight hoping it would help it cure.

-
Back