My other Early A ---65 Dart post

-
New gas tank. I think its already coated with a rust inhibitor but I felt like a lil extra protection would be in order. I used some left over por15 metal mask on the bottom side and undercoat for the top side .

Attachments

• CAM00071.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 617
Front turn signal assemblies were rusted bad. Soaked them in evaporust for a few days. Came out all clean with lots of little holes where the rust had gotten all the way through. Mixed up some jb weld to fill up the holes and sprayed with high heat rattle can chrome.

Attachments

• CAM00072.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 609
I was using sum old gas tank from who knows what car. Just strapped it in the trunk with no fuel gauge. Finally got my new tank installed. New filler neck grommet, sending unit for gauge,, and hoses. Gauge seems to work so far. I hooked up the sender outside of the tank and manipulated the float arm while watching the gauge before final installment. Now I've got room in the trunk for junk . Also can calculate my mpg and not run out of gas while driving down the road.

The trunk is a lil crusty but still solid

Attachments

• CAM00079.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 650
  • CAM00078.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 608
  • CAM00076.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 565
  • CAM00075.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 584
Now that im running a 67 904 , the 65 speedo cable wouldn't fit but a 66 will. The speedometer jumps around too much but im getting somewhere. It finally quit on me altogether. Quick inspection revealed the cable snapped. I got a new aftermarket one from oreily auto parts. Very generic with no seal for where it goes through the firewall but hopefully it will do the trick. I saw that there were two different length cables to choose from so I've got a 50\50 shot . Too long Im thinking is better than too short. Ha! Story of my life .

I also dug through my pile of 66 parts to pull out a drive shaft. Its roughly 2 inches longer than the 67.

Both the outer tail light lenses are broken and missing the reverse lense. The trunk lid is completely rusted away on the bottom inside lip.

Attachments

• CAM00109.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 587
Since the 65 trunk and lights were needing remedy I threw on a set of 66 pieces.

Attachments

• CAM00120.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 531
Got the front bumper on. Im thinking of going with a 63-64 bumper which is not as tall as the 65.

Attachments

• CAM00108.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 536
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a "post" car?

Post car has a metal frame around the door that surrounds the door glass. There's a
metal post in between the front door glass and rear quarter window .

The hardtop cars dont have the post. The side windows just butt up to each other like on a convertible.

Here's the original trunk lid. Nothing but expanding foam, jb weld epoxy and bondo.

Attachments

• CAM00122.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 518
Ive got a spare 65 trunk lid that is dented badly but the lower part isnt rusted out. One of these days I'd like to try to make one good trunk lid out of the two.

Attachments

• CAM00126.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 512
Swapped out the column for one with a working turn signal switch . Now my brake\ turn signals are fully operational. Trying to see if i can make the 65 cable shifted column work with the 67 trans linkage

Attachments

• CAM00129.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 502
Took out the lowering blocks in the rear. It was just too low. The rear tires would scrub on the inside wheelwell. Only had it dropped two inches but I guess the springs are already sagging. Installed the new speedo cable. It was longer than the original but still fit okay.

Went to close the hood and it just ripped the metal right off where the bolts go in on the driver side. Luckily I got the hood to latch in front but its sticking up at the rear where the hinge is.

Attachments

• CAM00132.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 511
Took the back glass out to assess the rust damage . Ive got a patch for the rear window channel from another car. Almost most ready to weld in a solid piece.

Attachments

• CAM00142.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 493
Removed the right rear window glass, regulator, and weatherstrip. Took out all the screws for the frame. Still cant get the frame out. Its loose and I can almost get the front part out. What's the trick?

Attachments

• CAM00151.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 481
Picked up a carb kit. Looks like it was already rebuilt recently but the accelerator pump was all dried up.

Attachments

• CAM00165.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 459
Great build, I liked that interior for a more modern look, something I wouldn't of thought of doing myself.

Great build, I liked that interior for a more modern look, something I wouldn't of thought of doing myself.

Thankyou sir. Seats were free and in great shape. I'll be using the lap belts as well. The passenger seat has a factory subwoofer/ amplifier combo that hopefully still works.

Not a big fan of the side trim so I started welding up the holes. Think im gonna leave the little dart letters on the side though. The trim was holding a lot of dirt and moisture which caused pits and rust holes behind it.

Attachments

• CAM00203.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 454
  • CAM00204.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 449
Im so used to newer cars having the park lamps on when the headlights are on. Kept thinking there was something wrong with my switch. Well its not like that on a early a body. I ended up using a jumper wire in between the park lamp and headlamp circuit.

I like the post cars. Which I had one too! Good luck with your Project!

Thankyou sir. The post cars are growing on me. I'm liking it alot more now that its running and driving. Not sure why Chrysler made them both ways.

U might as well get one. Then your collection of 65 darts will be complete.

-
Back