My rear brake tee is leaking, how to fix

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Could this vent be leaking? If so, do I replace the whole thing or just the vent? Does it just unscrew? Thanks

Attachments

• Abody Brake hose tee.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 140
The vent is a dual purpose trick. It vents the rear axle, I hope you know, not the brakes, and it also holds the tee in place

So you need to determine if you are leaking brake fluid or rear axle lube. Might be overfilled?

And yeah, the vent just unscrews.

I was surprised to see something leaking at all. The car has been on jackstands for six months...hot and cold weather but heated garage, min.42 degrees...91 in there yesterday. Can't be overfilled since the "pig" filler hole is on the side, correct?

I was surprised to see something leaking at all. The car has been on jackstands for six months...hot and cold weather but heated garage, min.42 degrees...91 in there yesterday. Can't be overfilled since the "pig" filler hole is on the side, correct?
If the brake line T is leaking it will be easy to test, set in the car and apply pressure on the brakes and hold it down hard for about a count of 10 and look and see if brake fluid seeped out, if it did put a line wrench on each fitting and tighten, these are steel flair fittings and need to be good and tight
Remove the over flow/filler plug and see if the rear 80/90 WT oil comes out..
You should be able to tell if it is brake fluid on the floor because it is very thin and will soak into your concrete and not puddle like rear gear lube will.

A line wrench is a must on the brake lines to get them tight

It certainly looks like brake fluid as it tends to creep and not just run down and drip. Like Memike said line wrench and tighten it up.

If it still leaks after the line wrench, just get a new tee. Have seen them on Ebay. Because they are brass when they are over tighten the inverted flair inside gets crushed and causes a leak.

-
Back