My son Matt is tied for 5th place at Summit Motorsports Park

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons he wanted to move to Ohio was to try to take a run at their point system. Probably the toughest group of racers you can compete against. One time trial with always a chance of no time trial
If weather looks challenging. No buybacks as even without them you will be racing at least till 4am. Vic Elinger made this all possible as he’s been driving his car all year. I can’t wait to see him back in his own car. Pretty sure they are down to 2-3 races left in points this year. Matt’s boss Dennis Rock also has been a big big help.

BE7E5F34-E60F-4ECA-AC86-E1FD79D043EE.jpeg

Congratulations to both of you, to you for being a row model.

Great work Matt, hope you are able to pick up a few more rounds on them Boy's !

no buybacks, the way it should be for points

I personally like buybacks. It helps the track survive with needed income, every track I know stops the accumulation of points for those that bought back in, and if you tow as far and as often as I do it’s sometimes needed. Brain fade, wind gust, tire spin, etc puts you in the beer drinking line and most of us are there to race. It just costs to much to get there every week to head home after first round.

I personally like buybacks. It helps the track survive with needed income, every track I know stops the accumulation of points for those that bought back in, and if you tow as far and as often as I do it’s sometimes needed. Brain fade, wind gust, tire spin, etc puts you in the beer drinking line and most of us are there to race. It just costs to much to get there every week to head home after first round.

I get and understand the purpose of buybacks. Not totally against them, just prefer when there's not. I'd bet that 60-70% of races that are won anymore are from a buyback racer. They either screwed up 1st round or flat out just got beat. They get a chance to redeem themselves, where 1st round winners don't. The logistics if everyone was able to buyback once on a raceday would be ridiculous so I know that's not practical or realistic.

I get and understand the purpose of buybacks. Not totally against them, just prefer when there's not. I'd bet that 60-70% of races that are won anymore are from a buyback racer. They either screwed up 1st round or flat out just got beat. They get a chance to redeem themselves, where 1st round winners don't. The logistics if everyone was able to buyback once on a raceday would be ridiculous so I know that's not practical or realistic.

You do know most tracks run a re-entry round right. So 30 guys pay to race against the other losers. 100% of that goes to the track to cover costs which keeps the gates open. 15 of those racers would enter second round with the first round winners. Tracks are closing almost monthly so I think it’s a great idea.

You do know most tracks run a re-entry round right. So 30 guys pay to race against the other losers. 100% of that goes to the track to cover costs which keeps the gates open. 15 of those racers would enter second round with the first round winners. Tracks are closing almost monthly so I think it’s a great idea.
That's how most tracks and big $ races are, but the 2 tracks I race at the buy backs go right into 2nd round with everyone else. The one track even gives you extra points if you lose 1st rd and buy back and win. You actually get more points than if you lost 2nd round without buying back.

Ohhhh and Norwalk is one of those tracks that Dont need re-entry rounds to survive. Do you know why??? Sponsors. Sponsors pay the points funds for advertising which for most is a write off. Most are racers or in the racing community. Our points fund I think pays 1000.00 to win IF you pay the 60.00 or so to enter. Your average drag strip is not making money. I know ours isn’t

Well Saturdays race hurt bad as an .030 light ended his day very early. I was worried after seeing his to early redlight on his rare 2nd time trial. That has a habit of adding time to the box and our brain ending in a bad result. I think they are down to one points race now so we shall see.

BDB9E2C8-E9C4-4CD0-A0C9-544CD3D05A6D.png

29D249B4-6334-41C6-B32F-C61E0643EBAB.png

That Wes Buckley guy right behind your son is a heck of a racer. Used to see him at 131 once in a while. He has a Camaro now I believe, used to have either a Monte or a Malibu, forget which, been a while

That Wes Buckley guy right behind your son is a heck of a racer. Used to see him at 131 once in a while. He has a Camaro now I believe, used to have either a Monte or a Malibu, forget which, been a while
I have seen it both ways .. at my local track the buybacks run each other and the winner goes to the second round and that person gets 100 points only if they win the eliminator ... no points for round wins after first round loss. Other tracks I have seen buybacks got right into the second round. Last year I was at a Mopar race and second round had just as many cars as first round , I would have had the bye second round but everybody that lost first round bought back and the car count was even for second round

-
Back