My tired little 318 at the races!

-

mean318

Reaction score
Well ladies and gentlemen I took my dart to the track this last weekend with my new 4.11's in and I could only knock off .5 seconds off my last times at the same track. I was using my Edelbrock AVS 800 cfm and I could not get rid of a hard off the line bog. So my original plan was to keep tuning it until it was good on sunday but on saturday night some chevy guy was talking smack that the quadrajunk was a better carb than the "plastic toy Thermoquad" so I slapped on my thermoquad and instantly knocked off .3 tenths of a second off my the previous days best of 14.4 down to a 14.1 with no bog and hard launch and a 2.14 60 foot time. The thermoquad stayed consistent with a 14.18 two times so I dialed 14.100 for the first round of eliminations and I cut a .506 light on a sportsman tree and I still lost the race by .006! So my weekend was cut short.

PHOT0265.jpg

PHOT0274.jpg

No, but it is 11 years old and was a daily driver for 8 of those years and it has headwork, cam and a 2500 stall. In pomona in 1997 it had run a best of 13.55 with 3.91's

The reason you saw the improvement with the TQ was because that 800 Eddie was most likely too much carb for your engine, thus the bog. Guys talk smack about carbs all the time, but the plain and simple is, if you have the right carb tuned properly for your setup, they all work just as well.

Your Bog Might Be The Secondary Air Door Opening To Early Or To Late. A Easy Way To Find Out Is To Disconnect The Secondary Linkage And See If You Still Have The Bog. The Only Way I Know To Adjust The Air Door On A Eddie Carb Is To Pull The Top Off And Either Grind Off Some On The Weights(opens Faster) Or Addsolder To Them (opens Slower). If It Was Me I Would Buy A Nitrous Kit And Spray With A Progressive 200 Shot Hitting It Just Pass The 60ft And Blow The Chevy Guys Mind! And If He Asks Just Tell Him You Still Havent Got The Carb Thing Figured Out! Paint The Soloniods Black And Hide The Line!

Hi Cory...

Lost with ,006 over. That`s Racing.

We lost last year in Hockenheim with ,008 under index in the quarterfinal in supergas.

The reason you saw the improvement with the TQ was because that 800 Eddie was most likely too much carb for your engine,

The Thermoquad is either a 750 or 850 so I doudt the cfm rating has anything to do with it.

How far did the guy that beat you go? Both yawl had a good package. Youll get em next week. just got to keep fighting :boxing:

mean318, Glad you had a day at the track and spent some time
with your Dart.
I like your car and I think! We all will see it!!:clock: 1 sec faster.:cheers:

Cory,spend the Dart new pistons and a little shoot of NOS.

@all
Wy can`t i insert smilies in my posts?

Nice looking car, not bad for a 318 either. I'm one of those guys who wants to build a 318, just so when I blow the doors off someone with something more prominent, I can say, "It's just a 318".

yep, its been a blast! Last weekend I beat down a couple 360's and a 383 at the Mopar meet in Germany. (1/8th mile hand start). I think I am done this summer but this winter will see a new roof and some cosmetic changes and hopefully I can get my hands on a 360 and build it up slowly.

@v8superstocker: How long you been on this site???

The carb problem is pump shot size and or duration. I think the 800 is to much, buuuuuut, if you work on it long enuff, you'll get it.

The T-Q is a spring operated secondary air door thats very tunable along with tiny primarys. This combo is what makes it very useful for many applications.

Like I said the whole reasoning for me putting the thermoquad back on was that some chevy guy was talking smack about the thermoquad saying it was a "plastic toy carb from toys r us" so I had to show him that it could run! And run it did. That is why I did'nt mess with the ede avs anymore. I had tuned the thermoquad years ago to my motor. I just had to prove something thats all.

Becareful about talking smack about a Q-jet, they are a very good under rated carb also. I have one on my 318 in my Duster. I also one on my Dodge pickup. Mopar actually used them in the mid 80's to replace the Thermoquad.

Chuck

The Thermoquad is either a 750 or 850 so I doudt the cfm rating has anything to do with it.

TQs only feed the engine as much as it can use, they dont flow their highest rated amount all the time. Plus they have tiny primaries, which help on a small motor. IMO 800 is too much for a mild 318

800cfm is 800cfm and wide open is wide open so the primary size doesn't matter. Plus an AVS also has an air valve so it uses only what it needs. The TQ would be more responsive though in a part throttle application given the smaller primaries.

Chuck

Well 11 years ago when I started this whole thing with racing I started out with a 650 carter afb and my 6o foot times were good but top end wasnt there then I went with my TQ and I sacrificed a little of the 60 foot times but the top end was there so I stuck with the TQ

@v8superstocker: How long you been on this site???

Hi Cory...
Since january 07
My english is very bad but i will hope i learn it better when i surf on english speaking websites.
I have an A-Body therefore i must look at this site.:)

Hi Cory...
Since january 07
My english is very bad but i will hope i learn it better when i surf on english speaking websites.
I have an A-Body therefore i must look at this site.:)

Looks preeety good to me so far. Welcome aboard and surf away!

-
Back