My Truck died!

-

dartnabout

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok here it is....I need your help. My truck has been giving me issues for quite awhile. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 extended cab. 5.9 gas with AT. Codes only give a list of cylinder misfires of which it is all 8. It has been shutting off and will not start for a year or more but far worse. If I spray gas through the air cleaner it will fire up until the gas is burned up. If it sits a while it will fire up and run. But lately... almost everyday it will shut off at some point. I found if I tap on the computer with a small rubber mallet it will fire up and go again. Maybe until the next day or whenever. I have replaced the fuel pump and all sensors and whatnot. Last night in a 10 mile trip it shut off probably 20 times. I struggled to make it home. Each time I had to tap on the computer. It may run 1 minute or maybe for 3 or 4 miles. I NEED this truck! Right now it is my only mode of transportation (besides my motorcycle and it is raining everyday practically) I plan on taking tomorrow off. Do you think it is a computer? As I said reading the codes does nothing all it says is misfire on all 8 cylinders. I can go to a pull it yard. But what years will work? And does it have to be the 5.9 or will the computer for the 318 be the same. I know I will get the answer here. Thanks!

Sounds like the computer to me Tike. I think they are specific to your truck. Get the Mopar number off of it and Google it. Sometimes other units will work. I know on my 92 Cummins, it is specific. I had to remove it and send it out for repair. $189 IIRC
Also, pull all the connections and clean them with electronics cleaner spray and use diaelectric grease when you reassemble. Try that first.

I had a similar problem with my 92 318 truck. It would shut off sometimes and other times it would shutter and almost shut off. I did the fuel pump swap and a few other things. I wound up be the the cam sensor or in this case the magnetic pick up in the distributor Replaced it and never had another problem.

I had a similar problem with my 92 318 truck. It would shut off sometimes and other times it would shutter and almost shut off. I did the fuel pump swap and a few other things. I wound up be the the cam sensor or in this case the magnetic pick up in the distributor Replaced it and never had another problem.
What Roy said... My 3800 Pontiac did EXACTLY as you describe. An old fart said, "next time it dies, spray water on the cam sensor". Fired right back up. Changed out cam sensor, no issues. Was cheap too..

I had similar problems once. If you have the ring type battery connectors on it, try changing them to a larger connector. They are grounded through the negative cable.

Your truck is mad at you because you don't wash it enough.... :poke:

Your truck is mad at you because you don't wash it enough.... :poke:
Boy that could be the truth! Changed Cam sensor. Pulled the connections and cleaned and sprayed them with WD40 New battery...thought I had it for a couple weeks. The thing that gets me is if I tap the computer it will start. I am going to try to get off early tomorrow to go to a pull it place and try a computer. If not I may have to send mine away.

Could it be a bad/loose connection that you jar back when you tap the computer???

The problem is in the ecm it is kind of a common problem with early trucks and vans. Then problem is Chrysler's ecm aren't really reprogrammable, from one vehicle to another. The ecm has a broken solder joint, a electronic shop can fix it reasonable and save money over replacing it.

Yep...well I think yep. I put another computer on and drove it for 45 minutes and it bubble a couple times in the beginning and then ran like it should. I am sure hoping that I have it. Thanks to all that responded

Bring the old one over next time I will open it up and see if there is something obvious going on.

I did find some YouTube videos, there ARE some things in those that go bad and CAN BE FIXED like the coil drivers, which evidently is fairly common

Dont believe anything you read on internet because 98% is bullshit....96 & 97 Ram pcm's did have some problems but typically its after 250K usually caused by running worn out spark plugs and wires for 100K of 250...mopar pcm's are by far more reliable than almost all other brands. DO NOT use WD-40 on electrical connections, its fish oil, not dielectric grease and will gum up and corrode connectors. DO NOT EVER solder or take cover off PCM without grounding strap and NEVER let billy bob but mustard on your computer....this TOOL with soldering iron in video should be beaten with a garden hose for even implying that this is the way to do a proper electrical repair and by the way, sling blade, its silicon not "gel" and if its soft, its a good indication of serious overheating which is caused by too much resistance in secondary circuits.
As far as swapping pcm's, 96-97 Ram are not CCD so wont work with anything but 96-97. Many other pcm's are interchangeable but you need to know things like does it have SKIM, Alarm, leak detection pump, AT or 5 speed, etc. We swap pcm's all the time but there is actual logic to it, not just tossing parts at it and seeing what sticks. The only thing worse than no info is bad info!
MOPARMITCH wins a gold star today for getting 100% on his FI test, the only correct answer in the class. The rest of you all get recess in the library reading up on fuel injecction.
:soapbox:

BTW, welcome to Pontiacs Only Forum! How does a direct coil pack GM POS relate to a Dodge other than they both have spark plugs and burn gas? Thats like comparing the alt belt on the Ram squealing to the belt on my riding mower squealing .

Dont believe anything you read on internet because 98% is bullshit....96 & 97 Ram pcm's did have some problems but typically its after 250K usually caused by running worn out spark plugs and wires for 100K of 250...mopar pcm's are by far more reliable than almost all other brands. DO NOT use WD-40 on electrical connections, its fish oil, not dielectric grease and will gum up and corrode connectors. DO NOT EVER solder or take cover off PCM without grounding strap and NEVER let billy bob but mustard on your computer....this TOOL with soldering iron in video should be beaten with a garden hose for even implying that this is the way to do a proper electrical repair and by the way, sling blade, its silicon not "gel" and if its soft, its a good indication of serious overheating which is caused by too much resistance in secondary circuits.
As far as swapping pcm's, 96-97 Ram are not CCD so wont work with anything but 96-97. Many other pcm's are interchangeable but you need to know things like does it have SKIM, Alarm, leak detection pump, AT or 5 speed, etc. We swap pcm's all the time but there is actual logic to it, not just tossing parts at it and seeing what sticks. The only thing worse than no info is bad info!
MOPARMITCH wins a gold star today for getting 100% on his FI test, the only correct answer in the class. The rest of you all get recess in the library reading up on fuel injecction.
:soapbox:

BTW, welcome to Pontiacs Only Forum! How does a direct coil pack GM POS relate to a Dodge other than they both have spark plugs and burn gas? Thats like comparing the alt belt on the Ram squealing to the belt on my riding mower squealing .

"Billy Bob":rofl:

-
Back