My version of a factory parts build 318

-
.... and, don't forget magnum heads on a 318. A great choice!
For what it's worth, Hot Rod magazine 318 build used Magnum heads on their 400 horse build. Could they have got there with a 318 head? Just guessing but probably.

Here’s the thing, with you & many others here. Now don’t take offense to this and flip out on me. But is is how your coming off. Like so many others that crap on the 318.

1st off, even a novice in the car world knows bigger is better. With that, they already know there not going to make the same power and be slower. But yet everyone loves driving that point home and a few aren’t so kind to n the matter.

Let’s see ask the cost factor into consideration.
The inquiring already have a 318 vs how much now for a bare 340 block? Let’s take the gamble of the block being bad when it gets to you out of this even though I’ve been victim to it twice.

We are now $700 in the hole for just the block. $700 goes a long way in rotating parts for the 318 the questioner already has.

Your perception that the 318 was never a performance engine or a correct (I know you know that.) but not being able to make it perform is a joke because it can perform. We will cover caveats latter.

What makes it worse is you and many others compare it to a 5.0 Ford or something else. What is crazier from you is you compare the two 5.0’s from a truck and a Stang. On the base level, there the same to start with since the performance ceiling most are looking for is way higher than what the Mustang had. So what’s the real difference here. The only thing being kept is the block, possibly the crank and maybe, just maybe the rods. Everything else is being tossed.
From this perspective, it’s a dumb comparison. Because everything is being changed out for better.

In the case of keeping the heads, (MoPar here) reworking the stock head for mild performance is a cost saver over new aluminum. Until the price factor tips in favor of aluminum & the performance level isn’t very high, there is nothing wrong with the iron head. While I’m not a fan of keeping a 318 head on a 318 since the 350 head is a winner every time, perhaps the researcher doesn’t have the money to reinvest in 330/360 heads.

But the internet world just keeps beating on those that want to work with what they have for as little money as possible. The very thing about this board is to help others and even more so, new guys and those with less funds to do the best they can with the little money and experience they have.

Something most ignore.

It’s not that using an340 or 360 doesn’t make sense, it’s just not helpful sometimes (most IMO) to suggest it over and over again like nailing a nail down with a hammer. Even more so when the goal of using the 318 to start with on purpose is in the title and first lines of a thread.

The bottom line here? Your not helping.
So perhaps being removed from the board was a lesson not fully yet learned.

Everyone (99.9%?) knows the 318 was never a performance engine but just a basic people mover. Actually, even the performance engines were since they company has to warranty them for a time. Back in the day, they could have make a 318 make 1.2 hp per cube. (381 hp) They could have done it with a 440 as well. (528 hp) But they didn’t. They were all just upgraded people movers.

But many upgraded the engines anyway. Didn’t you?
If you did, then you must have felt that the engine wasn’t up to snuff for being a performance engine.
Lets see, First. I wasn't comparing a truck engine to a mustang I was saying there is a base utilty 5.0 then there is a performance 5.0 HO . basically a 318 is a utility engine a 340 is a performance engine. calling me dumb or crazy or any other expletives well you started that didn't you the name calling.
Second i am not helping with what? Im putting information out there that maybe someone is better off buying a performance paltform to start with because nothing is cheap and unless somoene has access to a machine shop, parts and information where are they really going starting with a utility engine as a base for a performance engine? They are going to spend $$$
Third why should I be kicked off the forums for looking at it differently for having another point of view? I started out with a 318 then I went looknig for and found a 340..in the long run its more cost effective.

There is a guy on YT touting that the 318 is better than the 340 but he is comparing the blocks. where do these young guys get this misinformation? there is more to a 340 than just the block and no it isn't just as good as a 340 not in its stock form.

302 heads are tiny runners. Very tiny. But will port out really well. I’ve read 240/250 on the intake. I hich makes for a nice street strip head. Remember, you can race anything without a single race part on or in the car!

Caveats to the 318 should not be ignored but also at the same time those that always say things like “Keep the cam little because it’s easy to over cam the little engine.” Are speaking the truth but also ignore or not pay attention to the build at hand.

The smaller the engine the more it takes to get it to perform. This often requires a bigger camshaft and the. To round out the package, more stall from the converter and more rear gear.

With this as a known, build accordingly!
Your response is very educational and interesting. I'm sure that this has been asked millions of times, but if the builder already has a 318 and limited funding, what would be the best cylinder head for getting better performance from his 318? He's not looking to build a race car just something with a little extra zip. I suggested a 360, a rebuild able engine is like $400.

Your response is very educational and interesting. I'm sure that this has been asked millions of times, but if the builder already has a 318 and limited funding, what would be the best cylinder head for getting better performance from his 318? He's not looking to build a race car just something with a little extra zip. I suggested a 360, a rebuild able engine is like $400.
The reason why these threads go on forever and there's hundreds of them is there is no definitive answer. Too many variables.

For what it's worth, Hot Rod magazine 318 build used Magnum heads on their 400 horse build. Could they have got there with a 318 head? Just guessing but probably.
So here are several factors.......The magnum head, stock, is more of a performance head on a 318 as oppose to a 360. The 3.91 bore is not pulling as much into the cylinder so the ports act larger. This allows more RPM on a 318. Also, the valve size per cylinder diameter is acting as a performance valve in the 318 as a 1.92. If you ever drove or owned 5.2 and a 5.9 in the same vehicle (I have), the part throttle response is better with the 5.9 BUT wide open throttle the 5.2 really pulls just as strong as the 5.9. Seat of the pants, really no difference at all. That is because the heads and cam are acting more of a performance part per C.I.

The reason why these threads go on forever and there's hundreds of them is there is no definitive answer. Too many variables.
There is no "best" head for a 318. No "best" aftermarket cam. #302's may be a bit better than a stock #675 318 head and a 340 head better than that. What about aluminum heads. That's a whole other story and selection. Let's not even get started talking about cams for a teen.

There is no "best" head for a 318. No "best" aftermarket cam. #302's may be a bit better than a stock #675 318 head and a 340 head better than that. What about aluminum heads. That's a whole other story and selection. Let's not even get started talking about cams for a teen.
It seems that for somebody who wants to get a little extra zip from his 318 can open up a can of worms rather quickly.

It seems that for somebody who wants to get a little extra zip from his 318 can open up a can of worms rather quickly.
My point exactly. Low budget? just some bolt on's as long as the engine is in good enough shape. Dual exhaust first. I would recurve the distributor next followed with a 4 barrel and intake. ANy further and you may get into "point of no return" territory. (cam, heads, headers, converter, rear gears)

thing is, Dan, is there are a lot of ways to do this. If on a budget, why not follow some of the very simple recipe's already provided by members here. I did one myself called the "Low dollar 318". For less than 500 bucks (498 to be exact), I ran the same numbers as a factory '73 340 Duster with 3.21's (and I did it with 2.76's). And others have documented similar builds.

Lets see, First. I wasn't comparing a truck engine to a mustang I was saying there is a base utilty 5.0 then there is a performance 5.0 HO . basically a 318 is a utility engine a 340 is a performance engine. calling me dumb or crazy or any other expletives well you started that didn't you the name calling.
First off, all said not to get upset/take it personal. But it seems you did anyway. OK then, I’m sorry Mr. Snowflake for calling you names that was ment for all that discourages the use of a 318 and such.

Is that OK Cupcake?
Second i am not helping with what?
No and here’s why, oh wait! I already explained that!
So yea, your not helping.

are they really going starting with a utility engine as a base for a performance engine? They are going to spend $$$
Why not? You did so. Even though the performance engine has a better compression ratio, a bigger cam and better heads, only a tool would give and take the advice on parts heavily used since the 60’s and early ‘70’s. While he heads of both engines are more likely to be in need of a full rebuild, costing the same (?) would not be better to purchase an aluminum head of the performance level is easier to reach?
But then again, like in the case of a block, your advocating to spend another, $400?

Now where behind $1100? $400 for heads & $700 for a 340 block? To fit what build parameters? On how thick of a wallet?
That you love spending there internet money on as if they have loads of cash?

Sometimes your thought pattern works great, sometimes it doesn’t!

Third why should I be kicked off the forums for looking at it differently for having another point of view?
Where you kicked off? Then it was perhaps you were being a dick. Did you learn your lesson? Do you understand why you were kicked off? Are you repeating the process?
I started out with a 318 then I went looknig for and found a 340..in the long run its more cost effective.
For what goal? With how much money?
I’m not arguing the direction. You think I am.
There is a guy on YT touting that the 318 is better than the 340 but he is comparing the blocks. where do these young guys get this misinformation? there is more to a 340 than just the block and no it isn't just as good as a 340 not in its stock form.
Well, stock 318 vs a stock 340, what are the differences between them?

Bore is one. What else?

Now this is an “IF!” IF both the 318 & the 330 are cast with the exact same cylinder sleeve, and the. Bored to there respective sizes of 3.91 & 4.04, which one has the stronger cylinder walls?

The 318 has stronger cylinder walls of course! This is the only difference between them now. So, which one is better to use? The bigger but thinner cylinder wall or the smaller but way beefier cylinder wall)

The answer doesn’t automatically mean which one can output a higher HP & Tq level. While that could be one factor in choice, the one thing I left out on purpose is how much meat is left on the bigger bore engine.

So, from a certain point of view, someone is right…..
Someone is wrong.

thing is, Dan, is there are a lot of ways to do this. If on a budget, why not follow some of the very simple recipe's already provided by members here. I did one myself called the "Low dollar 318". For less than 500 bucks (498 to be exact), I ran the same numbers as a factory '73 340 Duster with 3.21's (and I did it with 2.76's). And others have documented similar builds.
Is your "Low dollar 318" on your uTube channel?

Dan, I’d reply pretty much what 318WR said.
“A little more zip.” Is a very broad and general term.

This is what I would do. First! Find out if the Duster owner is willing to use headers.
Second, use the step by step KISS program. This starts with the basic but of on parts and a cam last. The following is my suggestion to this process.

1st, are headers going to be used?
Ether way, headers or not, install a dual exhaust n the car with the muffler or choice. In a blind and broad decision here, use 2-1/2 exhaust pipe size. If you use headers, go with the sun I exhaust package. Relatively inexpensive and complete.
Works great!

2: A 4bbl. carb and intake. Again, in a blind choice, a RPM or Weiand Stealth with a 750 cfm carb of choice will be an excellent set up.

3: Upgrade the ignition system.

4: Camshaft swap. This has to work with the rear gears and the converter.

After this path is completed, the owner can decide if the next stall is needed. It comes as a toss up between an overdrive transmission or rear gears.

On cylinder heads, the stock ones, not matter which ones, can be rebuilt and given a competition valve job. That’s all that’s needed for a low lift cam under .500.

@Dartswinger70 Now would you look at that! A request for a cheap inexpensive low dollar 318 enhancement build that doesn’t have money to the side for a expensive 340 block like you said is needed.

Hoooooooly Cooooooooooow!

Someone actually wants to use the 318 that’s in there car!
O-M-G! The world is ending in your corner of the world!
What could be next? Someone building on a 400 block but not stroking it? Building a Poly engine? Making use of the first gen HEMI? Hop up parts on a slant 6?!?!

Hell fire is escaping!!! Quick! Make a rush to type out how dumb we are!!!! The world needs saving!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks Dan!

Dan, I’d reply pretty much what 318WR said.
“A little more zip.” Is a very broad and general term.

This is what I would do. First! Find out if the Duster owner is willing to use headers.
Second, use the step by step KISS program. This starts with the basic but of on parts and a cam last. The following is my suggestion to this process.

1st, are headers going to be used?
Ether way, headers or not, install a dual exhaust n the car with the muffler or choice. In a blind and broad decision here, use 2-1/2 exhaust pipe size. If you use headers, go with the sun I exhaust package. Relatively inexpensive and complete.
Works great!

2: A 4bbl. carb and intake. Again, in a blind choice, a RPM or Weiand Stealth with a 750 cfm carb of choice will be an excellent set up.

3: Upgrade the ignition system.

4: Camshaft swap. This has to work with the rear gears and the converter.

After this path is completed, the owner can decide if the next stall is needed. It comes as a toss up between an overdrive transmission or rear gears.

On cylinder heads, the stock ones, not matter which ones, can be rebuilt and given a competition valve job. That’s all that’s needed for a low lift cam under .500.
I'm going to see how good the car actually runs first before tearing into it as a good tune up may make a difference

There’s a lot in distributor timing. A recurve would do wonders. Don @4secondsflat.com has a simple kit that works great. Limit the mechanical advance with a plate, find out him much vacuum advance is available, set the timing and your good to go.

I’d start at an initial of 15* and see what that brings me in terms of seat of the pants feel. (You could) Advance it until the starter has to work to start the engine. Then go from there. How much initial that is and then limit the mechanical a bunch.

318WR has a few videos out that should be really helpful in this area.

In my '69 Dart, I dialed in 9.00 and ran 9.02-3 (1/8th) every pass on my way to redlighting in the finals with a stock piston 318, stock 915s with 1.88/1.60s, RPM intake, Headers, MP474 Purpleshaft, and factory converter w/ 3.91s. I can't prove it now but I pretty sure a set of stock 302 castings would have slowed me down. I'm a believer in the 302s but only when worked. Stock for Stock.... give me the X, J, O, U's for a 318! My times aren't earth shattering but for factory piston 318's.....

A High Performance small block is easy. Not sure why everyone wants to make it hard. Ma Mopar gave you the blueprint. 340 is the blueprint, not the Holy Grail. Good factory head castings. As cast 318 heads will flow about 170 cfm, while 360 heads will flow about 190 to 200 cfm. 360/340 heads can be milled to about 65 cc chambers. Pistons to give the compression to work with the available octane. A cam and valve springs to let the heads breath. A good 4 barrel carb and intake to breath. A good distributor with a fast curve and tailored to the max timing at WOT. A double roller timing set, a high pressure oil pump and a windage tray to keep everything together @ 6,000 rpm. This will work on any 273, 318, 340, or a 360.

-
Back