My winter project. 1974 W100 Utiline

-
I'm looking for some info about the truck frames. I would like to have an extended cab, short bed 3/4 ton 4X4. Is the std. cab long bed the same length as the extended cab, short bed? Could I do this, or would it be impossible/too expensive to be done.

j

I'm looking for some info about the truck frames. I would like to have an extended cab, short bed 3/4 ton 4X4. Is the std. cab long bed the same length as the extended cab, short bed? Could I do this, or would it be impossible/too expensive to be done.

j

I am not 100% sure but I think the extended cabs frame mounts were different.
My dad still has his 78 short bed, extended cab that he bought new.
I can post any pictures if needed.

looking hot man MA mopar made some of the best looking trucks

I would like to have an extended cab, short bed 3/4 ton 4X4. Is the std. cab long bed the same length as the extended cab, short bed?

frames are different. so is the wheelbase. a local guy tried it and it didnt work out. wheels werent centered in the wheelwells and the motor was up against the firewall. if you want to go that route and cant find the right frame, i think you would be better off finding an extended cab long bed and shortening it.

Bitchin truck!!8)

I had one for 10 years. My mine was a `73 with an `82 front clip and doors. I took it down to the frame rails and back. Fully caged and custom bumpers. I sold it 4 years ago like an idiot!!

Here is a pic of right after I got it finished....
shaundune2.jpg

I wheeled the crap out of that thing!!

MVC-403F.jpg

MVC-405F.jpg

normal_MVC-398F.jpg

I have had quite a few of these things. I still have a about 3 sets of step side fender! I have the dash piece you are missing and it's even blue!!:)
I have 2 early 4wd 518 trans (the full hydro version) and some small parts.

On the frame question....
They are all different. But they are the same from the front crossmember to the front cab mounts.

I miss my truck!! I have been looking for another one but when they pop up I never have the money!!

Bitchin truck!!8)

I had one for 10 years. My mine was a `73 with an `82 front clip and doors. I took it down to the frame rails and back. Fully caged and custom bumpers. I sold it 4 years ago like an idiot!!

Here is a pic of right after I got it finished....
shaundune2.jpg

I wheeled the crap out of that thing!!

MVC-403F.jpg

MVC-405F.jpg

normal_MVC-398F.jpg

I have had quite a few of these things. I still have a about 3 sets of step side fender! I have the dash piece you are missing and it's even blue!!:)
I have 2 early 4wd 518 trans (the full hydro version) and some small parts.

On the frame question....
They are all different. But they are the same from the front crossmember to the front cab mounts.

I miss my truck!! I have been looking for another one but when they pop up I never have the money!!

Nice truck!!! That's the look that I'm going for other than my front bumper will be similar to my rear and I am running a roll bar with 2 KC lights (Old School). I sent you a pm.

I have made a little more progress doing a little rust removal and body work getting ready for a coat of epoxy primer on the front clip. The cab will be next. I am welding up the trim holes and smoothing them out (I'm not a fan of trim), but the truck will keep the 100 emblems on the front corners. I wasn't really going to worry about small dings before paint, but I figure that I will do it while it's blasted.

Attachments

• Filler.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 478
Thats a good lookin truck! I wish the one i found wasnt from iowa to begin with so it would of had less rust but oh well. Its a 79. Heres a picture of it after i bought it.

Attachments

• 1115001252[3].jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 488
Well I pulled the 318 and 4 speed today. The 318 block is a 68 casting and the heads are 73-74 340/360. Sounds like I can use these later on another project.

Attachments

• Old 3182.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Old 3183.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 440
Congratulations on a very nice truck Badart :cheers:, I will be keeping an eye on this build =P~
There sure is some nice trucks on this thread And I have learned a few things already :happy10:
You sure out dun yourself on the rear bumper when you got board =P~
I wonder if your grill will fit an 85 ramcharger, That is the best looking grill they made I think on your truck :cheers:
Keep up the good work, I see you have been busy :happy10:

Nice truck. Will keep an eye on your build. Coming along nicely. Lots of nice trucks on here. I have a 77 Warlock I picked up this past Sept that will eventually be my daily driver.

Nice truck. Will keep an eye on your build. Coming along nicely. Lots of nice trucks on here. I have a 77 Warlock I picked up this past Sept that will eventually be my daily driver.

I love the Warlocks. That will be a cool build.

Why did you pull the top off the trans.?

I was just taking a peek at the gears and condition of gear oil. I have only driven the truck on the trailer and around the block once. It shifted pretty good, but had an issue the the syncros going back into 1st. I am debating on tearing it apart.

Unless its a NP-445 trans. 1st gear is not synchronized.

Huh. That may be why. I am not a 4 speed guy. lol. I guess I will change the oil, clean it up and run it. The clutch seemed strong so I will inspect the wear a possibly reuse it.

Huh. That may be why. I am not a 4 speed guy. lol. I guess I will change the oil, clean it up and run it. The clutch seemed strong so I will inspect the wear a possibly reuse it.

Yeah that would be it, those 4 spds. are pretty tough. You take off in 1st (granny low) and its like your driving a tractor. LOL

Yeah that would be it, those 4 spds. are pretty tough. You take off in 1st (granny low) and its like your driving a tractor. LOL

Thanks for your help. That is why I am have a restoration thread going on this, so guys like you can chime in and point me in the right direction. 8)

Made my own from materials at work on the lathe. I am not using a very tough fiber impregnated polymer material that is used for fabricating spacers and blocks in an industrial setting. Lighter than aluminum, but super strong. I will post pics of them later. Much cheaper than buying a body lift. It's one of the advantages of my job. Access to a full machine shop. 8)

cool cool

Badart check out machopowerwagon.com lots of truck info over there. Cool site.

What brand paint is that/who did you order it from? Nice looking color.

Summit Brand single stage. I do plan on shooting clear over it too. I used their stuff on the Fury last summer and it turned out excellent. Easy to shoot and great color.

thats going to be a great build! my 78 shortbox 2wd factory J code truck

i have a 70-something ext cab 3/4t shortbox 4x but not a factory built truck, its a real hackjob that somebody did, i am thinking it was a long box ext cab and they hacked the frame down to fit the shotbox. my girlfriend has bushbeat it for 5 years and the body is finally done. powertrain is all good so i am going to part it and have another long box std cab lined up to swap the good parts. like i need some more projects.lol

didnt look too bad in this pic. that was good old tremclad shot just before dark outside my shop. i think i finished the job with a flashlight.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 424
  • 100_0001.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 439
Nice trucks chrisf. Doesn't look too bad for an outdoors paint job.

Working on these trucks are a nice break from the cars. I am really enjoying it. The cool part is that if I get a dent or a ding, big deal. I will have next ot nothing in this build and it will be fun to drive.

-
Back