My winter project. 1974 W100 Utiline

-
Well I have worked almost 40 hours in three days installing some new equipment at work, but today I finally finished up my exhaust. I think that it turned out good and only cost me about $60 because I only had to buy the Y pipe and muffler.

Attachments

• Exhaust2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 391
  • Exhaust3.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 370
Are you going to be painting the frame with por 15 or something like that?

More paint and bodywork. Stripped the hood and doors. Applied primer and base under the hood and jambed the doors. Now I get to block and guide coat the entire thing. Wahoo! :angry7: I hate bodywork.

Attachments

• Bodywork.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Bodywork2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Bodywork3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 366
Wow. Nice truck. I looked into getting a 1975 dodge w100 ext. cab. I thought about selling my dart to buy it but decided not to.
Good luck with the truck.

I think that my arms are going to fall off. Guide coat, then blocking and more filler. She is smooth now. I know that it looks like a ton of filler, but it is just skim coats. Hopefully I will block one more time then the fun stuff starts.

Attachments

• Bodywork4.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 305
Picked up my seat from the upholstery shop today. I am very happy with it. It should wear good too, being marine grade vinyl. The color is actually darker than the pictures show.

Nothing says 70's Mopar like 2 tone blue.

Attachments

• Seat2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Seat.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 293
Oh yeah while taking a little break from body work I decided to do something about the factory dash speaker. These are Infinity 3 1/2" speakers.

Attachments

• Speakers.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 290
I found one last low spot while I was blocking. I am now just waiting for the urethane surfacer to dry overnight, then that spot will get wet sanded. The rest of the truck has been wet sanded with 400-600. Tomorrow it will get rolled out and get a good bath, wiped down then color is going on. Wahoo! Finally. This will all happen after the garage gets a good cleaning and I set up my redneck paint booth.

Attachments

• Bodywork5.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 284
Beautiful!
I've always loved those trucks, someday I'll track one down.
I'll tell you what though, $500 for that truck is a DEAL!

Wahoo! Finally some color. It turned out pretty good other than some orange peel. I still need to wet sand it and cut and buff it. I had a couple of runs in the clear and a couple of tiger stripes, but they should disappear quite a bit after buffed and the paint cures.

Attachments

• Paint4.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Paint3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Paint2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Paint1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Paint.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 248
The truck looks awsome. Looks to be the same color I painted mine about 15 years ago. Maybe after I finish my Dart I can get started on my truck. Love them wheels too.

Well when I started shooting the blue I really liked the contrast with the gray primer. That has been in my head since I shot it. I am going to do it. The truck is almost completely wet sanded so it would be a perfect time to do this color down the sides. I think that it will look awesome and set this truck apart. I am having a problem finding pictures of two tone Utlines on the internet. I know exactly how I am going to mask it on the cab, but the bed will be tricky. I have an idea what I want to do, but I will need your input about the bed once it's ready to paint. Here is the color.

Attachments

• Carbon fiber metallic.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 341
That's looking great! I like the idea about the two tone. Back when I worked at the dealership, they had a similar combo on the new Rams at the time that I really liked. If I remember correctly had a red pinstripe between the two colors that really made it pop.

Back when I worked at the dealership, they had a similar combo on the new Rams at the time that I really liked. If I remember correctly had a red pinstripe between the two colors that really made it pop.

I do remember that color combo and I have always liked it too. That pin stripe would be cool too and actually my wife mentioned that. Maybe I should listen to her more often. :thumbup:

Looks good, i can almost smell the fresh paint!
It looks great that color.

This is what I want to do. It's not the best example, but I don't have photoshop.

Attachments

• Two tone trial.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 314
Well she is wet sanded now and I started cutting the hood.

Attachments

• Cut and Buff.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 302
  • Wet Sand.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 300
Well she is two tone now. I really put the clear on thick to help cover the pinstripes. Now I have a ton of wet sanding to do over the next day or so. I am happy with it.

Attachments

• Paint5.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Paint6.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 272
  • Paint7.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 273
-
Back