Name a movie you DISLIKED that most others really liked

-
Don't try to get philosophical....A man that doesn't like car movies isn't a man that I'd associate with anyway.
I've watched car related movies with Fords or Chevys as the main car. Mad Max. White Lightning. Two Lane Blacktop. American Graffiti.
The movies that you mentioned had plots. Just because YOU didn't like them, that isn't sufficient grounds to say that they were pointless.
There are lots of movies that I don't like.
Most of the Fast and Furious movies have plots but I think that they are outlandish and stupid, in my opinion.
Ok, so what was the plot of Dirty Mary? Which I just watched by the way…..
And what was the plot of Vanishing Point?

Same with some of the songs from the same era.

I guess in the early 70's it was "cool" to be a small time criminal/ fugitive from local law enforcement.

You don't see the plots?
Okay, I'll spell out what was obvious to me.
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry:
A race driver and his mechanic are desperate to make a mark in the circle track racing circuit but lack the money to build a competitive car, so they kidnap the wife and daughter of a grocery store manager and force him to give up the money from the safe.
Larry has what he thought was a one night stand with Mary. She ends up tagging along with Larry and Deke. She is known in the town and is what led to the police gathering information on the two guys. Yeah, the movie is a long car chase but it is based on the guys trying to get away with the cash to restart their racing careers.
Vanishing Point:
Kowalski is a war veteran that has led a troubled life. He is a former Police officer, then motorcycle racer who lost his girlfriend in a surfing accident. He used to be a respectable man but life has been hard on him. He is reduced to taking a job as a car delivery driver that resorts to amphetamines to stay awake to drive the long distances to deliver the cars.
In the opening, he arrives in a Black Monaco. His boss tries to get him to stay overnight to rest but Kowalski is determined to drive the next car to it's destination, a location that he explains in a deleted scene. I'll admit that the motivation for his persistence was vague in this movie.
Along the way, Kowalski encounters several people that test his resolve. A motorcycle cop tries to stop him for speeding. It is unknown why he didn't just take the ticket and keep on the same path but outrunning the cop set forth the chase.
In the deleted scenes that were actually left in the European release, it is explained that San Francisco is his home and he is desperate to get back. He picks up a hitch hiker that it believed to be an angel of death. She says that she likes him and has been following him for a long time.
He wakes up and isn't sure if he dreamt the whole thing, as the woman is gone. He then resumes the drive.
The final scene wasn't clear to me for many years but through many interpretations from many people, I've come to understand that Kowalski saw the light shining between the bulldozer blades as his version of heaven, a portal to peace and happiness.

You don't see the plots?
Okay, I'll spell out what was obvious to me.
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry:
A race driver and his mechanic are desperate to make a mark in the circle track racing circuit but lack the money to build a competitive car, so they kidnap the wife and daughter of a grocery store manager and force him to give up the money from the safe.
Larry has what he thought was a one night stand with Mary. She ends up tagging along with Larry and Deke. She is known in the town and is what led to the police gathering information on the two guys. Yeah, the movie is a long car chase but it is based on the guys trying to get away with the cash to restart their racing careers.
Vanishing Point:
Kowalski is a war veteran that has led a troubled life. He is a former Police officer, then motorcycle racer who lost his girlfriend in a surfing accident. He used to be a respectable man but life has been hard on him. He is reduced to taking a job as a car delivery driver that resorts to amphetamines to stay awake to drive the long distances to deliver the cars.
In the opening, he arrives in a Black Monaco. His boss tries to get him to stay overnight to rest but Kowalski is determined to drive the next car to it's destination, a location that he explains in a deleted scene. I'll admit that the motivation for his persistence was vague in this movie.
Along the way, Kowalski encounters several people that test his resolve. A motorcycle cop tries to stop him for speeding. It is unknown why he didn't just take the ticket and keep on the same path but outrunning the cop set forth the chase.
In the deleted scenes that were actually left in the European release, it is explained that San Francisco is his home and he is desperate to get back. He picks up a hitch hiker that it believed to be an angel of death. She says that she likes him and has been following him for a long time.
He wakes up and isn't sure if he dreamt the whole thing, as the woman is gone. He then resumes the drive.
The final scene wasn't clear to me for many years but through many interpretations from many people, I've come to understand that Kowalski saw the light shining between the bulldozer blades as his version of heaven, a portal to peace and happiness.
That sums both of those movies perfectly.

Same with some of the songs from the same era.

I guess in the early 70's it was "cool" to be a small time criminal/ fugitive from local law enforcement.
No, it was cool to not bend over and take what the establishment was doing to you.
What was cool then is cool now.
What I find pathetic is people that go along with every rule and regulation no matter how stupid it is.
People with common sense and guts don't abide by unjust and stupid laws.
History is full of courageous people that fought against tyranny. If our ancestors didn't revolt against British oppression in the 1700s, we would be a much different country today.

By robbing grocery stores?

...or by "shooting a man while robbing his castle", as the song goes?

By robbing grocery stores?

...or by "shooting a man while robbing his castle", as the song goes?
Do you turn the knob on the radio when every song has a theme that you disagree with?
The entertainment industry glamorizes the outlaws, not the safe and boring way of life. Would you listen to a song about a guy that runs the vacuum when his wife tells him to do it?

Do you turn the knob on the radio when every song has a theme that you disagree with?
The entertainment industry glamorizes the outlaws, not the safe and boring way of life. Would you listen to a song about a guy that runs the vacuum when his wife tells him to do it?
If it had a good beat, I might.

Eh, more current music (mainstream at least) has super boring and basic lyrics about nothing interesting. Or super-explicit sex stuff, but that's about it. Mainstream rappers don't even rap about violence or "real life" much anymore, just about having lots of money and women. Same for big-budget films really, basic generic plot with a bunch of woke virtue propaganda thrown in and some CGI special effects action scenes a.k.a. superhero movies LOL

The Seven Ups was a good movie
French Connection was also another good movie, both had good car scenes

Eh, more current music (mainstream at least) has super boring and basic lyrics about nothing interesting. Or super-explicit sex stuff, but that's about it. Mainstream rappers don't even rap about violence or "real life" much anymore, just about having lots of money and women. Same for big-budget films really, basic generic plot with a bunch of woke virtue propaganda thrown in and some CGI special effects action scenes a.k.a. superhero movies LOL
Head on over to the southern rock side of life, where bands like Whiskey Myers and Blackberry Smoke are putting out quality music with interesting, well thought out lyrics and top notch instrumentation, and incredible live shows. It’s a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stagnant time in the lanes of most music.

Any of the "cult classic" movies where they destroyed old iron. Never understood the appeal of car guys that like movies that destroy cool cars. And I'm sure most of the stuff wasted was solid Cali stuff. Absolutely loathe the Dukes too.

Absolutely loathe the Dukes too.
the show was allright

the movie was absolutely garbage
i dont know who in the world did the casting on that, but they should be beaten untill repentant
specially turning good ole uncle jesse into a pothead was a shame, he wasnt even the same character

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Wow, what a bad movie.
I happen to enjoy this movie every once and a while. Good clean fun and one of the first comic books made into a movie. You can't take it too seriously and John Lithgow was great in it.

For me, it was Rocky Horror. The movie was bad enough, but the people yelling and throwin crap had me foaming at the mouth angry pretty quick......and that was back when my tolerance level was high! Next worse one was Urban Cowpile! Ridiculous!

So I was talking to someone about movies the other day, and they asked me what my least favorite movie was. I said Close Encounters of the Third Kind. She thought I was nuts, because everybody loved that movie. Well, not everybody, if my opinion counts. In fact, I call it Close Encounters of the Worst Kind. It got me thinking what other movies you guys might have really disliked that most others liked. Catch 22, for me, is right below Close Encounters. It was beyond stupid.
Pretty much all the comic book based movies.

I usually (99.9%) agree with @67Dart273, but you do make a good point. We need to be cautious not to dislike an entire movie just because an actor we do not like has a bit part in it.
Don’t get me wrong, I can’t stand vin diesel just a lot of people don’t realize that he was in saving private Ryan which I believe was the first or one of the first movies he was in and he actually did a decent job. Albeit short lived

The Shining is another shining example of one I cannot stand.

-
Back