Narrow A Body 360 Oil Pan

-

Terry Claunch

72 Dart
Reaction score
I am looking for information on a 360 in a narrow A Body, 1966 Barracuda to be exact. The car has a 360 and I would like to know if they make an oil pan that is notched for steering clearance. Any information would be appreciated.

There is a V8 center link that has a greater drop to it than the slant 6 center link, however, it's not always required depending on the engine mount choices you use. I had a 65 I transplanted a 360 in and used the slant 6 center link. It fit fine. It was close, but never touched. There are no different pans.

Just a 360 car oil pan is all that is needed. Should have lots of steering clearance, Is it rubbing on your center link. Possibly someone used a slat 6 center link on it.
Pictures?

Just a 360 car oil pan is all that is needed. Should have lots of steering clearance, Is it rubbing on your center link. Possibly someone used a slat 6 center link on it.
Pictures?
Thanks Keith, It's the steering arm on the gear box that is hitting the oil pan. It appears the oil pan needs to be notched at that point. The car is not mine and I am just trying to help a friend out with the information.

Thanks Keith, It's the steering arm on the gear box that is hitting the oil pan. It appears the oil pan needs to be notched at that point. The car is not mine and I am just trying to help a friend out with the information.
Can you get us a picture of the pan? That doesn't sound like a standard car pan.

There is a V8 center link that has a greater drop to it than the slant 6 center link, however, it's not always required depending on the engine mount choices you use. I had a 65 I transplanted a 360 in and used the slant 6 center link. It fit fine. It was close, but never touched. There are no different pans.
It's the steering arm off the gear box that is hitting the pan. I am asking for a friend. Appreciate the info.

I have a 360 in my Barracuda and it seems to have lots of clearance for the pitman arm off the steering box. Does the steering seem to be centered ok?

I have a 360 in my Barracuda and it seems to have lots of clearance for the pitman arm off the steering box. Does the steering seem to be centered ok?
I believe it is. I do not own the car, it belongs to a friend. I will see if I can get some pictures and maybe that will help.

I believe it is. I do not own the car, it belongs to a friend. I will see if I can get some pictures and maybe that will help.
That would help big time. We'll bees right here.

I have a Mopar 360 Magnum crate engine in my 66 D/Dart. I had to notch it to clear the steering arm. I heard that some people have taken a hammer to that area.

I used a Mancini 360 center sump pan and a 273 pan for a template of were to dent it. If you use the OEM motor mounts it will likely needs a small dent on the drivers side above the link. I did mine as far as the 273 pan was and that was way too much. There was just a post on facebook where someone showed the 360 pan with some digging in it from the steering linkage. It should have small dent at least there.

their are (2) 360 pass car pans that I have seen. both "center" sump pans. on one the sump starts 2" rearward from a plumb line straight down from the front lip and the other 4". iirc one of the two was a 294 stamped in the bottom, I cant remember the other #. iirc the 2 incher would hit the Kmember as the sump is too far forward. EDIT I think there was a 392. not sure which one was the 2 or 4 incher. aftermarket ones I have seen a ~4" back

Last edited:
Just did this a few weeks ago, just test fitting all parts before starting any paint/body work 64 Dart, 5.9 Milodon 30755 oil pan, had to use a 30mm socket and
a BFH to massage some clearance on the pan for the center link to clear on the left side and I have the V8 center link and the correct thicker rubber engine mounts.

-
Back