Narrowed 8 3/4?

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
Looking at this rear end for my 65 valiant. something i should buy? or pass? I'd have to relocate the springs as my car is 100% stock in that area.

here is what the guy sent me:

Seller said:
Narrowed 8 3/4 mopar rearend cut down for an A body with a three inch relocation spring kit. End to end is 47 1/2 inches,center to center of the saddles is 36 inches. Axles are cut and have 30 splines, Axles have new rear axle bearing set that eliminates the production bearing retainer and axle end-play adjuster. 3 inch brake drums with new brake pads, spring retainer kits and new brake cylinders. Open 3.23 gear housing.

something you would buy? and if so what would you pay?

For the street, I like stock. For the strip, this one doesn't have a sure grip or enough gear to me. A narrowed rear is mainly for allowing wide tires in the rear. Unless you tub the car, you'd be hard pressed to find tires that would take advantage of the narrower rear.

Something just struck me odd about this? a three inch relocation kit is on theis rearend, but isnt stock supposed to be 43"? it says here that center to center is 36", thats 6" difference.

Damn, can anyone say brain fart?! I guess I'll blame the horendously incorrect math on the fact that i was at work and thinking of 10 things at once.

that extra .5 per side wont cause me any problems would it? The rear is $375 with a 489 center. I figure while I'm under there doing the lower rear qtrs, I may as well mini tub and relo the springs as well... snowball anyone?

Cudamark is right, even with the springs relocated, the inners are still your limiting factor. If you tub it, will you lose your backseat fitment? Doing a Barracuda, you lose your rear seatback pivots. I believe you can get 1 more inch of tire under there with the MP relocation kit as the inner fender is just past where the stock springs hang the tire anyway. The soft street/drag tire composition of today is way better performing than even the meats of yesteryear.

-
Back