narrowing an 8.75

-

forced 340

Reaction score
hey all. i am kicking around the idea about narrowing my 8.75. has anyone done this on here? i have dr. diff axles and rear disc brakes. any info would be great! thanks!

Cut tubes with big pipe cutter, itll cut them straight if they are round. Cut and respline axles. Install axles with new ends bolted up and use them as a welding guide. tack Weld new ends on, remove axles finish welds grind and paint. Install shock plates loose over unwelded perches, get pinion angle set and weld perches in place.

You need a jig/fixture to keep it straight. It's not just a simple cut and weld job.

Get a set of alignment bushings like the ones in the Ebay link below. They install where the bearings go. Read through the description, it will give you a clear understanding of what you need to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321209787507?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You will need to get a straight steel bar that goes through all the bushings.

Unless you have an 8 3/4 just sitting around why not cut down a Dana from a late model ford pick up? I have a b body 8 3/4 sitting around and I'm still tempted to go the cut Dana route.

What is a stock one measure?

52-5/8 is stock a-body housing width. Keep in mind that the brakes that are required when using Dr. Diff's axles are offset a little more than A-body brakes (approx. 3/8" per side) so you need to narrow the housing about 3/4 more to put the wheels back in the stock location. In the end your wheel offset dictates the exact width you need. Or if you have no wheels yet you can go with the stock width and buy wheels with the proper offset to fit properly

I agree with Rmchrgr on the method of narrowing a rear. BigblockMopar has a nice write up on his website

Cut tubes with big pipe cutter, itll cut them straight if they are round. Cut and respline axles. Install axles with new ends bolted up and use them as a welding guide. tack Weld new ends on, remove axles finish welds grind and paint. Install shock plates loose over unwelded perches, get pinion angle set and weld perches in place.
This is close to the worst advice I have ever seen

-
Back