National moparts flywheel

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am considering buying a new flywheel for my 68 383s 4 speed cuda, anyone running a National moparts flywheel? They have one for 299$. Just want some feed back if possible. the car is mainly stock.. thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-02-14-24-24.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 396
Thanks guys I will contact them and see if I can find out who makes them.

For comparison the description of the 440source flywheel:

Our brand new heavy-duty billet flywheels are fully CNC machined from high quality 1045 super hard billet steel. The ring gear is made from high manganese carbon steel for accuracy and superior wear resistance. Ring gear is 130 tooth, weight is 27 pounds, and the overall diameter is 13.19 inches. The diameter of the machined face (without the ring gear) is about 12.5 inches. These fit a standard six bolt crank flange. The larger of the two bolt patterns measures 11 5/8" across (bolt hole center to center) and has 6 bolts evenly spaced around the outside of the wheel. These are very similar to the Mopar Performance part# P4529142 and McLeod #464102. Fits ALL Mopar V8 engines (even small blocks!) Works with 10.5 inch clutch only. These can be used for either internal or external balance applications. They include a small weight which is bolted to the back of the flywheel. For internal balance applications, simply remove this bolt-on weight. For external balance applications, when the engine is being balanced with the flywheel attached, your balance shop can remove material from the supplied bolt-on weight as needed to bring the engine into balance. For factory pre-balanced applications such as cast crank, six pack, etc, Brewers performance carries specific external weights for these applications, available HERE

I think that they're both the same... which are copies of the McLeod flywheel. Who knows maybe all 3 flywheels come from the same factory..

Well I emailed national moparts "Nigel" asking if he knew who manufacturer of there flywheel was.. his response was " it is a Chinese white box piece, no idea who the manufacturer is"
I don't like the sounds of that for 300+ $. Might look into having my old flywheel resurfaced. .

Just for the record.. I am not questioning the price, I relize the Canadian dollar is not the best these days, and I assume national moparts imports most of there product. I am questioning the quality of the flywheel...

Just for the record.. I am not questioning the price, I relize the Canadian dollar is not the best these days, and I assume national moparts imports most of there product. I am questioning the quality of the flywheel...

Unless you are beating the hell out of it or are using a sintered iron disc, why not use the stocker?

Unless you are beating the hell out of it or are using a sintered iron disc, why not use the stocker?
Good question.. I recently rebuild the engine ( stock 68 383) also installed new mcleod clutch kit and I also had my original flywheel resurfaced. When I put it all together I experienced severe clutch chatter only in first gear. I drove the cuda for 2 seasons the chatter stayed the same. I tore the engine out and sent the clutch kit back to mcleod for inspection, they told me my pressure plate was out of alignment so they replaced it and told me my disc was not wearing correct due to the mis alignment of my pressure plate or incorrect resurfaced flywheel. So they did work to my disc to get it back to specs.
The machine shop that resurfaced my flywheel closed down after many years of business. That's why my plan was not to risk it and purchase a new flywheel or now maybe ship my original flywheel out of town to get it professionally re resurfaced...

Good question.. I recently rebuild the engine ( stock 68 383) also installed new mcleod clutch kit and I also had my original flywheel resurfaced. When I put it all together I experienced severe clutch chatter only in first gear. I drove the cuda for 2 seasons the chatter stayed the same. I tore the engine out and sent the clutch kit back to mcleod for inspection, they told me my pressure plate was out of alignment so they replaced it and told me my disc was not wearing correct due to the mis alignment of my pressure plate or incorrect resurfaced flywheel. So they did work to my disc to get it back to specs.
The machine shop that resurfaced my flywheel closed down after many years of business. That's why my plan was not to risk it and purchase a new flywheel or now maybe ship my original flywheel out of town to get it professionally re resurfaced...

Wow, that was a bummer. I didn't think surfacing a flywheel was tough. I have done hundreds and hundreds and never heard of that before.

I get why you are gun shy.

Yes.. and another thing is that the mcleod tech guy told me now that I have a "so called " new clutch disc I would need a new or freshly resurfaced flywheel to rebed the disc.

Here is a picture of my flywheel after I had it resurfaced than put maybe 200 miles on the car ( with clutch chatter ). Is this what a recent resurfaced flywheel should look like? When I first picked it up from machine shop I thought it would of had a more smother surface like the face of the pressure plate.. thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-02-23-11-19.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot_2016-03-02-23-11-32.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 225
That looks like my stock one when I had it resurfaced. I'm happy with my new one from 440 source. It might be China craptastic, but it looks and works nice.

Here is a picture of my flywheel after I had it resurfaced than put maybe 200 miles on the car ( with clutch chatter ). Is this what a recent resurfaced flywheel should look like? When I first picked it up from machine shop I thought it would of had a more smother surface like the face of the pressure plate.. thanks for any advice.

I would never sell a resurface like that. If they are using a stone, they need to learn to dress it. If they are using a CBN cutter there is no excuse for a finish like that.

I would never sell a resurface like that. If they are using a stone, they need to learn to dress it. If they are using a CBN cutter there is no excuse for a finish like that.

Could this cause clutch chatter?

-
Back