Nc Highway Use Tax Got Me Good!

-
My tag on my Duster costs me $80.00 every May to renew. I also just paid a county tax on my vehicle of $65.00 for my Duster, (which only gets driven to shows, cruise ins etc...) and i just got a HUT bill of $185.00 for the Duster. This damn state loves to tax,tax, and tax people to death. It kind of makes me wonder if I moved to the right state, but Massachusetts was just as bad with their "Excise Tax" and Registration fees, and inspection fees. No exemptions for antique vehicles in Mass. You still need to get em inspected,wheras in North Carolina you do not need any state inspection if the vehicle is 35 yrs or older.

Thats crazy 185 hut for your duster. I would go crazy if i got a bill for that much. I guess I was lucky when hut tax on my 74 was only 6 dollars. Hopefully the 72 will be this high and the next one wont be as high. Sounds like johnston county is worse than wake county. You in johnston county right?

Yes I am and I can scan the bill and post it to prove it. I called the county and asked why so high and they gave me some BS about having 4 vehicles registered in the past year and la,la,la. I just hung up on them and paid it. What else can you do? They will suspend your tags if you do not pay the bill.:angry7:

My tag on my Duster costs me $80.00 every May to renew. I also just paid a county tax on my vehicle of $65.00 for my Duster, (which only gets driven to shows, cruise ins etc...) and i just got a HUT bill of $185.00 for the Duster.

Holy-crap has the laws changed?? My county tax on my '95 z-26 beretta was only $13.00 last year.. Costed me like $38.00 for a tag sticker last month...

I know taxes each year is only 6 bucks for my geo. The sticker fee for plate is 33 each year.

I dont understand how HUT on my 72 is 90 and 74 is 6.60. It 2 year differnece. I know its only one time fee but still.
North Carolina has had problems in past before about values beening wrong in the system and people having to pay higer taxes for it.

Dustermanic i would look into more, Im sure you can get your tax bills lower.

Wow; Im glad im here in Woodtickville.

It will be all good when the new toy gets here. I would protest it if I was keeping the car but since Im not and wont have to pay any taxes on it, its not worth the time. I just look at it like this, its the price I have to pay to move on to another toy, that will make me happy more than these 2 ever did.

It may be because I got a personalized plate on my Duster. That's why I believe that I have to pay more. I am going to call the DMV and look into this further.

It may be because I got a personalized plate on my Duster. That's why I believe that I have to pay more. I am going to call the DMV and look into this further.

You shouldn't have recieved another HUT bill, its only a one time fee you pay when you purchase the car.

They get you one way or another. When I bought our Ram new in 2003 the first years registration cost me $800. It slowly goes down year by year. My '93 Ford Explorer now costs $150 a year just for plates.

We have a flat rate for title transfer but plates are based on the value of the vehicle. My Jeep was 47 bucks, not too bad and the Ramcharger antique plates were 80 bucks for five years.... I can live with that. one more reason to not buy a new car, lol. Antique plates are a flat fee and are good for 5 years. There is an emissions test for new antique plates but it's just and idle test and only has to be done once. I just feel so violated when some stranger sticks a wand up my cars tailpipe. I'll have to put the Ramchager engine in the duster BEFORE I put the stroker 512 in to get it plated.

The local municipalities frown on non registered vehicles and will ticket you for it, even if it's on private property. Any unregistered vehicle must be garaged. Emission tests and the ticketing thing don't apply outside of the major cities though.

Money that is collected for the Highway Use Tax goes towards the North Carolina Highway Trust Fund. That money is then used to improve the roads of North Carolina. Additionally, another portion of the money collected for the Highway Use Tax goes towards the State's General Fund.

funniest thing i've seen today

Lol. I hear the roads in Raleigh are nice........ In Kannapolis you need a 4wd truck to navigate through the potholes

Taxed because it is in your yard? I would be broke I have about 14 vehicles now and have had as close to 30 at a time. I am addicted to buying old cars.

And I thought Michigan was bad!

Here you pay tax when the title is transfered on your purchase price. 6 %

But they get you on your license plates. Anything 1983 or newer price is based on original selling price of the vehicle. SO my 1984 Cadillac was close to $200 for Yearly plates.

Everything older than '83 goes by weight. So I have old vehicles that have been around $30 yearly, for plates.

roads for the dogs, NC has some of the worst roads in the nation, our state government is also broke....to prove a point, bought my wife a brand new fully loaded 2010 Jeep Liberty, sky roof and all, paid my taxes when purchased, 3 weeks later we get a tax bill for 167.00, what the heck.....i just paid the taxes on this vehicle....
Dodge29

That's why my tax bill was so high. For some reason I was double charged for my 4 vehicles. I have spoke to DMV and Johnston Cty tax collector's office. They are "researching" this and will get beck to me.

Aug 2, 2010 9:56 am US/Eastern
1972 Moon Rock To Be On Display In N.C.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) ―
It traveled all the way from the moon -- to a desk drawer in North Carolina.

The state's official moon rock is getting some respect. Next year it will go on
display at a new wing of the state Museum of Natural Sciences.

The moon rock was returned to Earth by the Apollo 17 astronauts in
December of 1972.

It somehow ended up in a drawer at the state Department of
Commerce
. In recent years, N.C. State University Professor Christopher
Brown has used the rock during visits to school groups.

But he's happy it is getting a new home. He tells The News & Observer of
Raleigh thousands of people will soon get to see the moon rock.

Article I found.......... proof that the tax guys wind up getting their hands on EVERYTHING that comes into North Carolina!!!!!!

to prove a point, bought my wife a brand new fully loaded 2010 Jeep Liberty, sky roof and all, paid my taxes when purchased, 3 weeks later we get a tax bill for 167.00, what the heck.....i just paid the taxes on this vehicle....

2 separate taxes.... you pay one tax, the Highway Usage Tax, when you purchase the vehicle and the other tax, property tax, is billed after you tag the vehicle.
I can't believe your property tax bill was that low! Last year I was charged almost $400 for my 2008 Jeep Wrangler...

Hmm...In NC the best thing to do is to get a '74-'76 a body and graft all the earlier sheet metal to it. The mid 70's stuff is not valued as high.

NC thinks all older cars are worth a million dollars or something?

NC will screw you like nobody's business on taxes.

I told them if my '71 Duster is worth $7700 to please write me a check for it!!!

I drive old stuff because I like it and it is what I can afford. If you drive old stuff or new stuff you get screwed :angry7:

-
Back