Nearly denied for the purchase of a camshaft on my 'pre smog' California vehicle

-
It’s just a Summit screw up guys. None of the laws in California regarding smog exempt vehicles have changed recently. The bill about pushing the exemption to ‘80 didn’t make it to a final vote, it died somewhere in the process. But it’s been brought up a few times recently, I’m sure it’ll be back at some point. But that’s a less restrictive law, not a more restrictive law.

And on that note, it’s still easier to own (and drive!) a classic here in California than in a lot of other states. No vehicle inspections at all, you can get a title on a car with a VIN check even if you buy a car without a title, and if you’re pre-‘76, none of the smog laws apply. Heck, there’s even an exemption for a certain number of cars a year if you file the right paperwork, so all the Cobra kits and glass ‘32 knock offs can be built up as brand new cars and still be registered as smog exempt. Plus you can drive year round, there’s no road salt even where it snows. And if the humidity’s much over 50% it’s probably because it’s actually raining, not just the weather doing it’s best impression of a sauna.

It’s just a Summit screw up guys. None of the laws in California regarding smog exempt vehicles have changed recently. The bill about pushing the exemption to ‘80 didn’t make it to a final vote, it died somewhere in the process. But it’s been brought up a few times recently, I’m sure it’ll be back at some point. But that’s a less restrictive law, not a more restrictive law.

And on that note, it’s still easier to own (and drive!) a classic here in California than in a lot of other states. No vehicle inspections at all, you can get a title on a car with a VIN check even if you buy a car without a title, and if you’re pre-‘76, none of the smog laws apply. Heck, there’s even an exemption for a certain number of cars a year if you file the right paperwork, so all the Cobra kits and glass ‘32 knock offs can be built up as brand new cars and still be registered as smog exempt. Plus you can drive year round, there’s no road salt even where it snows. And if the humidity’s much over 50% it’s probably because it’s actually raining, not just the weather doing it’s best impression of a sauna.
100 percent agree with this^^^^^

Bad management made super shops go out of business, I knew Harry who started the chain.

Greg Kuntshilin or whatever his name was may have been well educated, not the sharpest when it came to running that business.

I worked a lot with Ray in OC. Been to the house overlooking the beach a few times. Cool pad.

Greg Kuntshilin or whatever his name was may have been well educated, not the sharpest when it came to running that business.

I worked a lot with Ray in OC. Been to the house overlooking the beach a few times. Cool pad.
Harry Eberlin started it in San Bern. When service center and SS were both competitors. I was friens with Sheldon and Harry, both got hurt by the recessions of the 80's and late 90's. People stopped building cars when the economy was in the toilet.

Yes, Greg came in much later when Harry stepped aside and helped run it in the ground with some idiotic business plans.

I knew, Harry, Jimmy P, Flash, Tim Jarsma, Woody and a bunch of the rest that ran the stores.

Yes, Greg came in much later when Harry stepped aside and helped run it in the ground with some idiotic business plans.

I knew, Harry, Jimmy P, Flash, Tim Jarsma, Woody and a bunch of the rest that ran the stores.
so, no law or regulation made both of these companies fail. And Harry was air force employee and a good salesperson.

Last edited:
Nope, IMO stupid did them under.

Jegs and Summit survived... Hmmmm

Nope, IMO stupid did them under.

Jegs and Summit survived... Hmmmm
And jegs and summit survived because they had a much more advanced business plan that spread their customer base over the nation. We also had PAW here in California who was also in mail order and bad management put them under too. If we expand this out to other businesses today, Sears is failing, Babies R Us is failing, Radio Shack is failing, all due to bad management. Trying to blame it on regulations and where the businesses are located is bullshit!

Last edited:
Man I'm glad I live about as far away from Ca. as possible and still be in the USA. Florida! Even thou some of the silly **** passed there, winds up here in 5 years!

I did the same thing many years ago. I can tell you this much: Florida ENVY'S California and wishes it could be just like it! If that ever happens, I am moving to Idaho!

Bad management made super shops go out of business, I knew Harry who started the chain.

Yes. We had two of them near me years ago. The one closest to I-4 had a rule that if you bought tires from them, you had to do a burnout when you left. LOL. I bought ALL my tires from them. :)

I did the same thing many years ago. I can tell you this much: Florida ENVY'S California and wishes it could be just like it! If that ever happens, I am moving to Idaho!
Born, raised, live 62 years in Fl. Matter of fact in the same Hillsborough county. I never once had the thought "Gee, I wish I could live in Ca., With all the stupid laws and Ca. emissions laws, In the land of the liberals" Nope not once!

Last edited:
That bill died on the vine in November 2016. Would've been nice; all you out there with 78-79 Dodge Magnums could drop in a 440.
You mean you can't do that"over there"? Wow I put a 440 in my 1981 Mirada a few years ago. Florida didn't care?

Thank you for clarifying. Maybe you guys should start a politician bashing thread sometime...... seems to me that's who REALLY deserves all of your bitching. A LOT of good people in this state.

Thank you for clarifying. Maybe you guys should start a politician bashing thread sometime...... seems to me that's who REALLY deserves all of your bitching. A LOT of good people in this state.
There is one it's called the N&P Forum.

But so many people would willingly miss out on it if we placed it in the N&P
:poke:

-
Back