Nearly done with my 6.1 Hemi Dart

-
Congrats mate, well worth the effort, good to see your actually going to drive it a fair bit too.

Have you driven it long enough to get any rough fuel economy figures *obviously not expecting fuel economy in a car like this* but I am just curious to know what you'd get compared to a charger or 300 with the same engine and a lot less weight.

Dave

it looks kooool,,,,,if you want that vintage look on a modern hemi,,arrington engines has a front timing cover,,and crane makes the cam longer to drive a single head distributor,,dual head comming they say,, the dist is angled out just like a 426, then it requires no computer at all if running a carb,,,,but the last time italked with them,,, there price IS WAY OUT OF LINE,,,

4300 for the cover,,cam,,,and dist,,, i heard GM has the same conversion for the LS engines,, for around 360 bucks,

i look forward to seeing your car at carlisle,,,

Congrats mate, well worth the effort, good to see your actually going to drive it a fair bit too.

Have you driven it long enough to get any rough fuel economy figures *obviously not expecting fuel economy in a car like this* but I am just curious to know what you'd get compared to a charger or 300 with the same engine and a lot less weight.

Dave

I'll get a front end alignment this week and start flogging it. Will keep you posted on the MPG and whatnot.

Don't forget to post some cockpit road thrashing video's of that beastly thang when you get the bugs worked out to your satisfaction.

I think you really did a nice job with that project, and it's sure to motivate more of us after seeing what you did with some modern motorvation.
I just wish Mopar stuff was as cheap as chevy stuff, and I'm sure you agree.

Thanks for the pics......don't forget to wear a bib when you first drive that thing. he, he.

Don't forget to post some cockpit road thrashing video's of that beastly thang when you get the bugs worked out to your satisfaction.

I think you really did a nice job with that project, and it's sure to motivate more of us after seeing what you did with some modern motorvation.
I just wish Mopar stuff was as cheap as chevy stuff, and I'm sure you agree.

Thanks for the pics......don't forget to wear a bib when you first drive that thing. he, he.

Thanks again for the great comments. You are right, this stuff isn't cheap or easy, I just had to try doing one. Many a day I felt like pitching it all and put a traditional 426 and add 12volts, a fuel line and go. I will have more to share soon. By the way... your notchback is bitchin!!!! A real true candidate for a 3G Hemi.... just think, light weight, lotsa HP and great gas mileage!

John

Incredible conversion........ I can see a custom designed 6 pack air cleaner set-up on there..........with the scoop there's plenty of clearance available......a tweak of the existing inlet upward, attaching to a modified oval shaped 6-pack cleaner would be awesome on top of that Hemi...............

Can't wait to see some time slips! 8)

Incredible conversion........ I can see a custom designed 6 pack air cleaner set-up on there..........with the scoop there's plenty of clearance available......a tweak of the existing inlet upward, attaching to a modified oval shaped 6-pack cleaner would be awesome on top of that Hemi...............

Can't wait to see some time slips! 8)

You were reading my mind on an altered intake system or maybe V-stacks with fuel injection.

We'll, got my *** kicked by Keisler again. Had my car on the dyno and after about a half dozen pull the new Keisler Xmsn took a dump. That's what you get for $5200! I am out of warranty even though it's new. I found out who makes the 4L60E for them and they are stepping up to the plate to repair it. Tranny leaves for its trip to Omaha today.

Sorry to hear that, at least the real company stepped up and will make things right. How was it doing on the dyno before the the tranny quit?

We'll, got my *** kicked by Keisler again. Had my car on the dyno and after about a half dozen pull the new Keisler Xmsn took a dump. That's what you get for $5200! I am out of warranty even though it's new. I found out who makes the 4L60E for them and they are stepping up to the plate to repair it. Tranny leaves for its trip to Omaha today.

Damn.......that sucks to hear. What is the Xmsn?? What did Keisler have to say??

Best pull was 305 HP at the rear tires. That equates 423 at the flywheel all at 24 degrees total timing under a load. I understand that the 90mm throttle body isn't much of a help, it's only going to take the 80 mm volume with a stock motor.
I also would have expected the TTi headers to throw in a couple of hp's but the stock system is too efficient to compete with. I am told the FAST system might be able to allow me to pull more timing out but with the stock pistons I think I'll pass on that idea for now.
How's your stuff going?

Xmsn was the GM 4L60E 4 speed. As for their response to all of this, let's just say it's gonna get real ugly!

I will buy from Bowler/twist machine then........

Sorry to hear of the problems, but thnks for posting

throw A 727 OR 518 in there till you get it fixed,,im struggling to get ready for carlisle also,,

Xmsn was the GM 4L60E 4 speed. As for their response to all of this, let's just say it's gonna get real ugly!

Well, my trans (GM 4L60E) made it out to Omaha's Certified Transmission for teardown inspection after 30 minutes on the dyno. Turns out Keisler's design spec regarding torque converter depth into the front pump was incorrect causing the front pump gear to fracture. Depth is supposed to be 1/8"-3/8".
Nonetheless, Keisler is going to come up with a fix, either to the converter or the flex plate next week. My guess is the cheaper fix on the flex plate.
They have also have decided to step up to the plate and pay for the whole deal, not including my labor of course. They are scrambling around for a fix because I'm not the only one who has had this failure.
Hopefully, I'll be up in 2-3 weeks and will report back all the fun I am having with this endless project.
Be careful what you buy out there! Stick with what works and keep it simple!!!

Later

John

That's intersting, I talked to them couple days back and they said they have no issues putting their kit behind my 6.1..........After you discovered their error, unfortunately.

That's intersting, I talked to them couple days back and they said they have no issues putting their kit behind my 6.1..........After you discovered their error, unfortunately.

They will be contacting owners soon. I think that there are other issues with this "experiment gone bad" as another trans I know of has gone bad for other reasons. This thing is totally un-tested and I am a result of Keisler's beta testing on the consumer's dime. Sure they are paying this time, but prior to this debacle it has been a very rough road. And what about the labor involved taking the tranny in and out six times!

FAST electronics are not any better either, many issues with them also. I would be ashamed to take someone's money without a great product and superb customer service. Many companies have know shame when it comes to taking your money and running with it. You guy's work too hard for your money to let some of these manufacturer's blow smoke you know where!

I talked to Dave Weber on Wed, he said FAST has ironed out there probs.....doesnt help you I know. Being a little selfish here as I am holding off on buying my ECM til the bugs are figured out.

Your trans issue has me concerned, I was gonna buy next week. Keisler or Bowler......Bowler says they can do it and have done it without issues, but $$$$ expensive and not a "kit."

Sucks to hear about the problems you are having...:angry7:

I talked to Dave Weber on Wed, he said FAST has ironed out there probs.....doesnt help you I know. Being a little selfish here as I am holding off on buying my ECM til the bugs are figured out.

Your trans issue has me concerned, I was gonna buy next week. Keisler or Bowler......Bowler says they can do it and have done it without issues, but $$$$ expensive and not a "kit."

Sucks to hear about the problems you are having...:angry7:

Cost me $2300 in dyno fees to iron out the FAST stuff. Dave swears by the AEM system.
How much for the Bowler? Talk to people that have used it before you buy it!

I havent talked to the tuner that is gonna dial the motor about the AEM. He has done several FAST systems on LS motors. I will definately figure it all out before I buy.......$2300 sounds steep, but I dont much about the tuning.

The Bowler trans is a 4l65RR, paddle shifted w/ an engine braking valve body. Basically a 4l65e case with custom/aftermarket guts. A digital display Compushift controller and custom converter. Their package doesn't come with cooler,speedo,driveline, or trans crossmember. It's like $6500......a bit steep, but rated at a true sustained 550hp

A 727 w/ a GV is still an option for me......

-
Back