Need 2cents on a good mix of antifreeze

-

pauls340

Reaction score
On a slightly warmed over 340 w/ 800 TQ carb and a 4 spd, what's a good summer mix on the antifreeze? Thanks.

Carb TQ Restored.jpg

I switched from 50/50 to 25/75 and added water-wetter. Not sure if the WW helped but overall runs noticeably cooler a couple tacks on the gauge.

For the longest time here in Texas 50/50 was all you needed year round, in the last 10-12 years its slowly been getting colder in the winter like 4 or 5 days a year under 20 degrees overnight. So the last 5 years I have started 40/60 to 30/70, usually filling the block with 50/50 and topping off the overflow resovior with straight un-mixed.

50/50 works good even down to 30 below F as long as you let stuff warm up. Just get a good brand of product.

I have been told that while a higher concentration of antifreeze may raise the boiling point and lower the freeze point that it will not transfer heat and cold as well because water is more efficient in this area. This is why I stick to 50/50. It is sold premixed at 50/50 so the chemical engineers must think that that is optimum. if not i think they would recommend more ethylene glycol as they can sell that at a much higher cost than water.

i have always used 50/50 and it has been good to -40 and +100 . Seems it has been the rcomended mix forever

Up here in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada (Winterpeg) I have always used 50/50 Prestone. I have also always used distilled water. A long time ago I heard this is better than tap water as there are minerals in the tap water.

i use 30% antifreeze and a bottle of Prestone anti-rust & water pump lubricant and a bottle of Water Wetter.

-
Back