Need 545RFE Help

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I really need some advice on my 04 Ram truck trans.
I was driving back from my aunt's house today and my transmission started acting up. The lockup would kick out on level roadway and then engage again. This would go on for a little bit and then it be fine for 50 miles, then act up again. This went on for 200 miles until I got home. The fluid level is fine but could stand to be changed, and no dash warning lights came on.
I hope someone point me in the right direction. I'm hopping it's something external and not the converter itself, but the way my luck is going right now.

Had a similar problem with my 95 dodge 2500 with cummins

Convertor would lock and unlock at highway speed

I would slow down some and it would stay locked in

Started with having the Trans rebuilt and new convertor at 97,000 miles, didn't change a thing

I changed the Throttle Position sensor, and seemed to help for short term, then started again

At the time I would run 72-74 mph on interstate, once I slowed down to 68 would stay locked in. Then more checking and then it started to unlock at 68, on the last trip before we got it fixed I could only run 65.

Installed a switch to keep the convertor locked in then the transmission temp light started coming on.

So the transmission temp sensor was changed and cured the problem

Not saying that is your problem, but it was a $27 part and I chased the problem for over 6 years ( don't drive the truck on the road much)

Suspected parts would be the TPS, loose connection, bad ground or bad temp sensor

Hope it doesn't take you 6 years to find it..... LOL

A)Is the engine functioning at normal power? B)What speed were you traveling? C)Were you towing? or loaded? D)Was there any appreciable adverse wind? E)Are you familiar with its history? F) you said; flat,level ground.
-It may be a solenoid problem. One of the pros will be along shortly.

Yes the engine was normal and was traveling at 65 mph for 2 hours and then started acting up. Had a slight headwind and wasn't loaded, just 3 adults. I had the truck since new and no sensors have been replaced.
It's acting just like Wildcats truck, it keeps going in and out of overdrive at 65 but at 55 it would stay locked up over 50 miles.

For the cost of the temp sensor would start with that if I had one doing that again.

But check the grounds to the controller. Mine is mounted on firewall on the passenger side

On my diesel the TPS only sends signal to the transmission for shift points. I have bypassed it altogether and have a potentiometer that I can control the shift points for towing or just the truck. The bad to this is I don't have a kick down, but with the torque of the diesel don't need it very often and I can get it to shift real early without the trailer or with it keep it in longer than if on the TPS. I like keeping the rpm low so early shift is good for me

Your truck is a drive by wire and probably cannot make some of the modes I have to my transmission shift control

What I can say is this drove me NUTS trying to get it fixed.

Two people I know have 2002 and 2005 Ram trucks. One is a 5.9 gas and the other is a diesel Both had trans problems that were, a bad pin at the computer connector. I really don't remember which pin(s), it was.

Codes? If I remember right the only time the CEL will come on is for an emissions related code. Go to a reputable trans shop and have them scan it. If any sensor/solenoid is out of range it should show up. Buddies shop doesn't charge for this.

Or of course you could just do as suggested and start throwing parts at it. If it is a bad trans temperature sending unit chances are it will not be reading the right temperature, scanner software I use in my laptop reads every single sensor in the trans.

Or of course you could just do as suggested and start throwing parts at it. If it is a bad trans temperature sending unit chances are it will not be reading the right temperature, scanner software I use in my laptop reads every single sensor in the trans.

Yep, I plan on taking it to a trans shop this week. I don't want to start throwing money at it.

.............1 of the best things u can do to a tranny is to run a ground cable from tranny to frame.,,,,,,,.make sure u clean the connection points..............kim......

Hey Bob ;

The RFE series trans will set check engine light with a p0700 if there is a trans related code in TCM
With no engine light on problem is not being detected by TCM, problem could be with temp sensor for trans commanding L/U on and off, only way to verify is to have road test with scanner to watch data stream to see if being commanded on and off.
Temp sensor is in solenoid block assembly inside trans on top of valve body.

Other possibility is a spring problem inside front pump of trans, the tcc regulator and tcc accumulator valves are in the front pump and have a very high failure rate on higher mileage units (over 100,000 mi) good poss. of problem you are having.

Good shop and road test will be your only way to verify,

Good Luck; Lon

-
Back