Status
Not open for further replies.

gregpurcell

Greg Purcell
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Contact seller
I got the transmission for my 72 scamp..Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I scored a 67 dart parts car with a rebuilt 904!
Because it's a 67, I think I am going to need a newer flexplate (68 up slant six). Judging from the noise my 72 is making, the one in it is probably trashed and I THINK the 67 flexplate has a smaller register hole.

I'm not absolutely sure,, but I think your's should be good.. if not,, I'll send you one free ..-- you pay the shipping,.. if someone closer doesn't offer.. grant

Thank you VERY much! Let's start by measuring the center (register) hole in your later model flexplate. Here is my 67 flexplate and it's measurement. If yours is different, then I'll need it!
67flexplate.JPG

67flexplate1.JPG

Also, let's open this thread up for discussion. I'm not a slant 6 expert , but I thought I read somewhere that the 67 and down used a crank with a smaller center (register)hole. they say you can't run a newer trans on an older crank, but I'm wondering if it works the other way around (67 trans on a 72 crank)
Does anybody know this for certain?
Thanks!

The difference is the crankshaft register. 1968 up is bigger than 67 back so you have to add a bushing in the crankshaft so the hub on the convertor will fit.

To use a 68 or newer engine with a 67 or earlier 904 trans, you need a 68 or newer flexplate, and the crankshaft adapter bushing . I have both available. Send me a PM if interested.

also, many folks don't know that this part is available from advance auto parts. no kidding. search thier site.

Flex plate shows to be the same from 62 up.

Detailed Description Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth 1962-87 L6 2.8l, 3.2l, 3.7l, 4.1l

Click the Compatibility tab on the following link.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...at+flexplate_1228609_164&keyword=at+flexplate

That part description is incorrect. That part Pioneer FRA302 is for 1968 up slant six. I have that part in my hand. That is the new part I offered in my previous post.
Also a flexplate for a slant six is different that for a small block. One crank hole is in a different location, by about half a hole.

That part description is incorrect. That part Pioneer FRA302 is for 1968 up slant six. I have that part in my hand. That is the new part I offered in my previous post.
Also a flexplate for a slant six is different that for a small block. One crank hole is in a different location, by about half a hole.

His car is already a 1972 so that he would already have that flex plate then, correct?

The difference would have to be the diameter of the bolt holes on the convertor. 10" would be FRA-302 or an 11" would be a FRA-413 and either one is readily available normally in 24 hours at Oreillys.

Part Number: FRA-302 Mopar Part Number 4058428 $13.99 Each
Warranty: 1 YR
Application: Transmission model A904
Notes: 10" bolt circle

The other possibility would be this
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_fra-413_1241918_164&keyword=fra-413

Part Number: FRA-413 Mopar Part Number 2204719 $15.99 Each
Warranty: 1 YR
Application: Transmission model A904
Notes: 11" bolt circle

His car is already a 1972 so that he would already have that flex plate then, correct?
Correct
The difference would have to be the diameter of the bolt holes on the convertor. 10" would be FRA-302 or an 11" would be a FRA-413 and either one is readily available normally in 24 hours at Oreillys.
The main difference is the diameter of the center hole.1967 down is 1.960-1.965, was measuring a used flexplate.
1968 up the center hole is 2.160, approx .200 difference. The crankshaft bolt holes are in the same location, for both the early and late flexplates.
The later flexplate is available from several sources, as new. Since this thread started, I have not been able to find a correct listing for the early flexplate , new. On Monday I can make a few phone calls to some contacts I have, and see what I can find out about the incorrect listings, and see if any one has the early flexplate available.

I don't ever recall seeing an 11 inch slant six 904 converter. Not saying there is no such thing, just I can't recall seeing one.

I sent a message to Pioneer, about their incorrect info. Probably will not hear back untill monday.
Also on Monday I will call Dorman Products (I have a direct number to one of their customer tech reps). Dorman, also has this listed incorrectly.

Ok, the reason I don't use my 72 flexplate is that it's MAKING NOISE. It is most likely broken. It would work otherswise. BY the way, my research says Charlie is correct. The center hole is a different size, so the 67 flexplate will not fit on the center of the newer crank. I will verify that in person later this week. That's because I got a 74 parts car to solve the problem. I'll do the swap with the 74 trans and flexplate. But, as soon as I get the parts motor/trans out and separated, I'll take my 67 flexplate and SEE if it bolts on the 74 crank. (This will help all those others with this potential problem!) This also leaves me with a 67 904 that's been rebuilt at some point for any of you with a 66 or 67 slantie that needs one (Or anyone who wants to do the bushing,etc)
Thanks again for all the help!

Ok guys, I can put this discussion to bed: There is NO WAY that the 67 flexplate will work on a 68 up 225 without mods! It's much smaller in the center hole!
This pic is of the 74 stacked on top of the 67. Note the difference in the center diameter. Thanks FABO! It is much btter to find this out BEFORE you pull it apart!
Greg
67flexplate3.jpg

I have done some research, and as near as I can find out, the 67/older small register flexplate, is not available new. The 68/newer flexplate is still available from most part stores. Any one looking for the early flexplate, do not believe the catalogs for the applicaton years. They show the same part number from 62-87, this is not correct. I spoke to ATP, Dorman, and Pioneer, about this. Dorman no longer does flexplates, ATP and Pioneer, had no clue as to what years fit what. Hell there tech guys probably weren't even born when the early part was still being produced. The engines that used that flexplate haven't been made for 46 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back