Need a good laugh??

-

Bigmacdak

I'll take the Duster.....
Reaction score
If you need a good laugh, look at this monstrosity. I knew my Duster would be a long, long, work in progress but I didnt expect this! I just had to laugh. But, now that the reality of fixing it has set in, im mad & worried. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it. Under hood where the inner fender meets the firewall. Gracefully hidden under 1/4" of bondo. Newspaper, tin strips & BONDO. Oh yeah, & lots & lots of cancer. Thank god for my donor car with near mint parts mentioned.......If I find the guy that did this I'll stove his head in.:angry7:
bondo003.jpg

bondo001.jpg

bondo006.jpg

bondo007.jpg

Wow.

I think you would be better off cutting the entire section out and replace with a patch panel custom made out of flat sheet metal.

That's incredible..........I think it would have taken him less time to fix it right than to stuff all that junk in there and goop it........:sad3:

He must have used up all the lisence plates, beer cans, and window screen available. From the outhouse to the wheelhouse, newspaper has more uses than WD-40.
Owner; What about the fluttering noise that starts at 20 mph ?
Mechanic; I have no idea. Its not the speedo cable. I gave up. LOL

It is such a typical place for rust on our cars, many have suffered this fate.
Yes, the fix could have been done much better, but now it will be up to you to make it last by fixing it right....have fun!

Wow! That is incredible. It is amazing what you find out there in this hobby. I think once you fix it correctly, you may actually shave 100 pounds of the car! If you add up the bondo and metal coupons!

Good luck, be daring and don't give up.

Joe

& the bad thing is this is the worst spot on the inner fenderwells. The rest of them are rust/dent free. I guess im going to just cut what I need off the valiant & replace the bad spots on the duster. Its going to be a blast!

Well GL, you can do it! My friend bought a rough dart...while replacing the rear quarter he found steel wool, and newspaper packed in there lol...anyway gl again.

If you need a good laugh, look at this monstrosity. I knew my Duster would be a long, long, work in progress but I didnt expect this! I just had to laugh. But, now that the reality of fixing it has set in, im mad & worried. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it. Under hood where the inner fender meets the firewall. Gracefully hidden under 1/4" of bondo. Newspaper, tin strips & BONDO. Oh yeah, & lots & lots of cancer. Thank god for my donor car with near mint parts mentioned.......If I find the guy that did this I'll stove his head in.:angry7:
bondo003.jpg

bondo001.jpg

bondo006.jpg

bondo007.jpg
no problem. you can handle that im sure!! and when i first got my dart Sport the 1/4 panels were all roof flashing and bondo. so, ya know, ya win some ya lose some

Found house siding in the lower Qtrs of my Dart! I figure a used car lot or someone trying to make a quick buck selling it sometime in the late 70's or early 80's!

Found house siding in the lower Qtrs of my Dart! I figure a used car lot or someone trying to make a quick buck selling it sometime in the late 70's or early 80's!

Oh yeah, I have already found the evening gazette in my rear 1/4's. As well as steel wool. I now I have the roof flashing to complete the collection. But I knew from the get-go the 1/4's needed replaced. I will hand it to whoever did the rear 1/4's, you cant tell it untill you get under the car & look at all the filler oozing thru the rot. Sneaky pete!

Still looking for some house siding, but im sure its here somewhere......:)

I feel your pain! I have two similar patch panels in the same places on my dart. There is no sign of rust anywhere, but you can see the out line of the patch. I'll wait until I'm in a real good mood someday before tearing them out!

wow! thats gonna be some late night grinding and welding going on with that one. i feel for ya man. maybe you will find some bra ads and could post it in the hot babes and mopars thread since it would have been part of the car! lol!

Oh yeah, I have already found the evening gazette in my rear 1/4's. As well as steel wool. I now I have the roof flashing to complete the collection. But I knew from the get-go the 1/4's needed replaced. I will hand it to whoever did the rear 1/4's, you cant tell it untill you get under the car & look at all the filler oozing thru the rot. Sneaky pete!

Still looking for some house siding, but im sure its here somewhere......:)
im not that sneaky but name is Pete. Pistol Pete or Ray Charles are my nicknames. lol dont get drunk wearing sunglasses unless u wanna be named after a blind piana playin black man. no disrespect he could PLAY

im not that sneaky but name is Pete.

LoL! I was thinking of the NOS system called sneaky pete! What a coincidence!

Its even worse than I thought it was. With the drivers side fender off, you can see the brunt of the east coast winters:angry7:.... Looks like a good time!
bondo1001.jpg

bondo1002.jpg

On a positive note, I did try my hand at some of that interior plastic paint with great results. Prep was the hardest part. Passengers side kick panel.
bondo1003.jpg

I saw some ingenious fixes while spinning wrenches for the old hometown body guy, but that mess is something entirely new. It'll be a different car when you're done. I'm looking forward to the before and after comparisons (and also the during photos).

A friend of mine has a 67 Ford F100 and while pulling the fenders off he found a large patch in the firewall made up of bondo, duck tape, nails, and Lucky beer cans. For those of you who don't know Lucky, it is a Canadian beer which seems to be quite popular here on the island.

i know what you mean man. sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from going crazy. just take it one part at a time and it will come together. and just think of the stories you can tell when shes done and people are askin about it at a car show.

i know what you mean man. sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from going crazy. just take it one part at a time and it will come together. and just think of the stories you can tell when shes done and people are askin about it at a car show.

Not to mention the killer photo album I'll have!!:cheers:

LoL! I was thinking of the NOS system called sneaky pete! What a coincidence!

Its even worse than I thought it was. With the drivers side fender off, you can see the brunt of the east coast winters:angry7:.... Looks like a good time!
bondo1001.jpg

bondo1002.jpg

On a positive note, I did try my hand at some of that interior plastic paint with great results. Prep was the hardest part. Passengers side kick panel.
bondo1003.jpg

Thats normal plymouth ruster stuff,,,Took me about 2 1/2 hours per side to do mine but my fender rail was shot the whole length

WOW:angry7: What some people will do to get out of trying. What a bunch of half :bootysha: BS. Me and my bro allso found out the hard way to realy look an old car over And bring a magnet to find bondo. And to pull the carpit back and look for a flour. We ended up with a 75 duster Flinston Edition :cheers:JOYJOY.

Sorry to see that Bigmac. but it sounds like you have what you need to fix it right. Good luck with it.

I found a full beer bottle plus newspaper stuffed down the rear bed through a speaker hole then half-assed fiberglassed over to cover bad rust on the bottom of the bedside of the Ramcharger. Why they used a full beer I'll never know. Maybe they stuffed it down there during a cop stop and forgot about it, then stuffed it with newspaper later and tried to 'glass it.

I just cut the whole damn thing out and replaced it.

-
Back