Need a good Tranny guy. Anyone ever rebuild a A904?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I am having a 2 year battle with the A999 in my Jeep TJ. I had it rebuilt 2 years ago but it has leaked ever sense. So water got in and ruined it. Mister Transmission told me it was gonna be $1500 to rebuild it and I took the damn thing out myself! Anyone done one of their own or know of good reasonable tranny shops in Ontario?

There,s Harry,s Transmission in Milton,Ontario.I,ll be dropping off my 904 to be race prepped this winter.He,s very good!

yeah..done about 6 of them in the last couple of years..

two in race car...one more for 71 demon waiting for me to put engine and trans in...

plus i bought a 904 for 50 bucks and then rebuilt it for a spare for race cars...

did a a500/42rh with OD last winter for a dakota...

did a 46rh in a 94 ram 2500 last year....and did two 46RE in 1996 dodges 4 x 4...

all the 904 had alto clutches and kelone steels put in them...plus in I upgraded the front drums to 5 disc from 4 disc...

after waiting for someone else to do a trans for me a couple of years ago...i decided to try it myself...they are pretty easy...first one I did was a 727 in my 73 duster...

George's transmission in Kitchener, ask for Murray (long time Mopar guy).
Give him a call, for a ballpark $.

Tell him I sent you, talk to him about Moparfest or Mopars in general, he'll cut you a break.

All the best!
Giles

How is it compared to say rebuilding an engine? What kind of special tools would a guy need and what would they be worth?

Certainly no harder. Get an ATSG manual and read it first. There was also a "Talking Torqueflites" series in Chrysler Power magazine about 15 years back which did a pretty good step-by-step with photos. I lost those issues many moves ago, but perhaps somebody has some they can scan and post.

yea i was thinking of redoing the 904 for my SL6 once i get my 8.75 with a posi and 3.91's the tranny will be the weak part. how much rebuild the whole thing in my garage? just need soft parts and torque converter, or would it be better to put a valve body in to while im at it?

I would really like to know more about this. What special tools do I need? I really can't do worse than the guy I had. I have rebuilt several motors, do all my own work to my vehicles.

-
Back