Need a real definition of what a survivor

-

MY68/6GT

Reaction score
car is and what upgrade you can do to keep its true survivor status
pick this one up 1966 charger 361 golden comando completly orig except elect ign and carb and they came with the car along with the orig spinner hubs

P1010003.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010006-2.jpg

P1010013.jpg

I would say you have acquired a car that is about as close as one can get to the true survivor category. Especially considering you have the originals of any parts that have been replaced. Congratulations, and enjoy, she's a beautiful old lady. :)

car is and what upgrade you can do to keep its true survivor status
pick this one up 1966 charger 361 golden comando completly orig except elect ign and carb and they came with the car along with the orig spinner hubs

People throw around the term "survivor" a lot.

80% original paint

Original engine paint. Never opened more than a valve cover.

80-90% original interior

Low mileage- under 70K at most

That's about a minimum. Good examples have original spark plug wires, orginal hoses, belts...

Let's see a engine compartment shot of that Charger?? The added 68 side markers, carb, and ign. hurt the survivor status. If the motor hasn't been repainted ever and its' got 80% original paint and interior I'd give it survivor status.

tell me what ya think
People throw around the term "survivor" a lot.

80% original paint

Original engine paint. Never opened more than a valve cover.

80-90% original interior

Low mileage- under 70K at most

That's about a minimum. Good examples have original spark plug wires, orginal hoses, belts...

Let's see a engine compartment shot of that Charger?? The added 68 side markers, carb, and ign. hurt the survivor status. If the motor hasn't been repainted ever and its' got 80% original paint and interior I'd give it survivor status.

P1010011-1.jpg

tell me what ya think

Motor has be repainted, plug wires sprayed by accident, and the water pump housing another shade than the rest. That is some sort of aftermarket windshield bottle? Is that blue paint on the passenger side of the wiper motor or is it a glare.

Does it have the original exterior paint? Any overspray on rubber or trim?Sometimes that is hard to tell.

Nice unrestored mostly orginal car.

other stuff tomorrow...thanks. would you remove the side markers if you could match the exterior paint? it apears original down to the factory black pinstripe on the roof
Motor has be repainted, plug wires sprayed by accident, and the water pump housing another shade than the rest. That is some sort of aftermarket windshield bottle? Is that blue paint on the passenger side of the wiper motor or is it a glare.

Does it have the original exterior paint? Any overspray on rubber or trim?Sometimes that is hard to tell.

Nice unrestored mostly orginal car.

other stuff tomorrow...thanks. would you remove the side markers if you could match the exterior paint? it apears original down to the factory black pinstripe on the roof

Leave them. Cost too much to fix and would not match anyway.

Finding a correct 66 383 4 bbl air cleaner would be the biggest impact. Next would be taking off the accessories and repainting the front end. Removing the overspray from the wires. Replace red breather hose for a black one.

First of all nice charger. Here is a picture of my survivor engine compartment. I have a set of date coded manifolds to replace the headers. Not that pretty but mostly untouched. mike

car pictures 039.jpg

distribitor black and gold tag and a whole lot of docs with the car,planed on respraying the housing and water pump and have got access to a almost complete 66 charger for some of the obscure stuff
Leave them. Cost too much to fix and would not match anyway.

Finding a correct 66 383 4 bbl air cleaner would be the biggest impact. Next would be taking off the accessories and repainting the front end. Removing the overspray from the wires. Replace red breather hose for a black one.

I'm just curious. Is that the correct radiator or were they still using the rounded tanks in 66? Even with the incorrect things under the hood, if that's the original paint I'd try to grab the car. Even if it's a good older repaint it'd be nice to have. I always thought the interiors on those cars were so cool! I remember walking by an almost new one all the time that was when I was a kid.

I agree on the color on the front water pump and housing....this hints to a timing chain or cam change, and someone decided to hit the parts with parts store paint, that is not the same shade.

Pink breather hose has got to go.

Plug wires are different, they could have been painted and stockers, only the marking on side will tell.

Kill the swap meet chrome air cleaner. IF it needs a tune up, get the existing stuff off, (Plugs, wires, cap and rotor only) in ONE PIECE, and save and document. Find black plug wires, either parts store, or Taylor, so they keep the stock vibe, and stock colored (Tan?) distributor cap.

It is close, very close.

My car is one of those "almost" or "maybe" survivors. It spent most of it's early years as a track-only car and was not run a lot. The upside is that it has less than 17,000 miles on it, the paint is original except for the hood which I replaced to lose the giant snorkel scoop and the trunk panel which I repainted because some bozo painted "Plymouth Gets It On" across the back, the interior is original except for the carpet which I replaced when I pulled the roll bar out, it has all of it's original window glass and lighting, and it is numbers-matching. The downside is that has a Dana 60 in place of it's original rear, it has fenderwell headers, the engine though original has been modified, it has electronic ignition, an aftermarket fuel system, and an after market exhaust system, the engine bay has been repainted several times, and the rear wheelwells were cut a little to make room for slicks. Some people call it a survivor, some don't. If it is a survivor, it did not survive unscathed.

That is one sweet Charger, I never used to like that body until I saw yours.
What is that in the woods under all the needles?
Bruce

it a 77-78 magnum se that the guy i bought the charger from gave me with the deal got a 360 /straight body and "ran" when he parked it.....might do a bling bling ride to show against all those caprice's and crown vics ....LOL

it a 77-78 magnum se that the guy i bought the charger from gave me with the deal got a 360 /straight body and "ran" when he parked it.....might do a bling bling ride to show against all those caprice's and crown vics ....LOL
DO IT!! i love the old magnums!!8)

if the price is right and you like it. jump on it.

very hard to find one in that overall condition.

i got a 66 in el paso in 89 drove the snot out of the 383 there and here till it died

then built a 440 for it and drove it more till 5mpg and $3 a gallon gas said enuf is enuf :)

had a 67 for parts ( sold last year for $1000..)

and year one and others are making more parts for them lately

but nothing you will really need

in todays crazy market you might be able to still get 10k plus for it

That car is Sweet! If it were me, i wouldnt care if it was a so called Survivor or not unless i was looking for an investment or to flip it. If the price is right (what are they asking, if you dont mind) Id get it.

paid $12,000 ,I'm restoring a 67 match# coronet rt that i purchased from him so thats the connection with the price. he knows from the cars i have, that this car has a great home and will be treated like a king

-
Back