Need a small block head guru PLEASE!!

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Do 1979 318 heads use the same head gasket as the 1971 heads?? Or are they different?

When my Dad built the 71 motor for the Dart he used a gasket kit for a 1971. The head gasket was leaking on the outside (not into the cylinder) and dripping out the side of the block. So the motor is back out and completely torn down again. :( :( :(

We used felpro gasket kit for a 1971 motor. But the head gasket was leaking to the outside of the block (not into the cylinder).

The 79 heads have one tri-angle shaped water passage, while the 71 heads are all round????

Smae gaskets. As long as it's not a magnum engine, you are fine. But, you should be making sure all holes are tapped out, all hardware is clean/wire brushed and if possible, ARP, and that you use clean 30W oil to lube the threads, and that you use a good torque wrench, and torque them in 3-4 steps. I think you posted elsewhere, and got a similar answer...

The head gaskets are the same up until you get to the Magnum heads and blocks. Was the block or heads surfaced? You may have an uneven surface that is not sealing.

Yes the heads and the block were "squared up" at the machine shop. After it was discovered to be leaking. The motor was pulled back out. :( Using a straight edge there is not anywhere that a .001 feeler gauge will go under. So we are thinking maybe just a faulty gasket. I hope that is all it is.

Thanks
I hope to know more in a week or so when the motor goes back in :(

Theres tiny differences in gaskets that will not help or harm the engine or cause sealing problems.

What kind of gaskets were they?, I work in a machine shop building engines and we've been having problems with ROL gaskets "seaping"- we've switched back to Fel Pro and our problems went away- Detroit and Comotec also have some nive head gaskets but I would stay away from ROL's.

-
Back